Pariah MP demo out

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by fallguy, Apr 15, 2005.

1. fallguy

Veteran

http://www.fileplanet.com/152344/150000/fileinfo/Pariah-Demo-[Multiplayer]

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I heard it sucked pretty hard of consolitis. :?

3. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

It kinda looks like ass, worse than U2 IMO.

4. silence

Regular

oh god...not another one...... :(

5. vrecan

Regular

anyone actually try it yet? I hate hear say.

6. Ostsol

Veteran

I'm still downloading it from 3DGamers' torrent. 70 KB/s. . .

7. pegisys

Regular

I played it, it's only multiplayer but the aiming retical is huge and it makes aiming harder, it runs good on my system and it has some nice effects, the levels are a nice size. one thing I noticed though the defualt graphics settings are not the highest, framesync is on and it locks at 30fps after I turned that off the game ran alot smoother

8. Ostsol

Veteran

Finally got it.

Graphics are decent, though nothing particularily special. Like Doom 3, there's a warping effect when an explosion occurs. It looks a little odd in this game, perhaps a bit too exagerated. The maps look fairly nice, though the trees could use at least a doubling of leaf clusters. Right now they look like a bunch of green paper fans attached to a tree trunk. It's difficult to tell if any bump-mapping was used on the terrain, due to a lack of dynamic lights, though it was mentioned by DE that such effects were used in the game.

There were also a few graphical glitches/oddities. The leaf clusters on trees are quite aliased due to a low texture resolution. Of course, it might be that the full size textures were not shipped with the demo. However, the leaves all have a dark border, which indicates an issue with the way the alpha layer was drawn. There's also a fair number of noticable seams in the maps.

The gameplay doesn't really excite me. UT2004, which I finally bought, does a much better job, IMHO. Pariah doesn't bring anything new on this front. Death-match is fairly basic, of course. The only game I've played to really do something interesting on this front was Deus Ex. CTF has the addition of vehicles, but is otherwise what one would normally expect. The "Frontline Assault" seems alot like UT2004's Onslaught.

If you really want to play Pariah in multiplayer, it'll be because of the setting, weapons, and general gameplay characteristics. Otherwise, it doesn't offer anything special. Personally, I'm thinking that the single-player campaign will interest me more.

9. digitalwanderer

Legend

I finally got around to trying it and it didn't seem at all that bad to me, worth a look at least when it comes out to see if the single-player is any good. :)

10. hovz

Regular

terrible, everything feels of in regards to the weapons and movement. the game just isnt enjoyable. it might be the fact that despite the game looking no better than an average console fps, the game runs at sub 60 fps most of the time on a 9800 pro.

11. Monty

Regular

doesnt seem all that bad to me either, movement could be a little quicker, and i dont like the fact that i cant seem to use aa what so ever in this game, even forcing it in control panel does nothing to it.

and i have never played a demo which actually runs well, i had massive problems with republic commando demo, the actual game ran perfect.

im just hoping the single player game is nearly as good as unreal, which in my books is the best fps game going.

12. digitalwanderer

Legend

What viddy card are you using?

13. Alistair

Regular

Most people seem underwhelmed by this, but I liked it. Looked like a more sprawling UT2k3. If the single player's reasonable, it's a probable purchase...

Now if only they'd release it via Steam, to spare me the teenage box art and the last millennium technology.

14. Monty

Regular

geforce 6800nu, since playing it i have had 2 different drivers installed as well. strange though, cos i forced 16x as well as 8xS through rivatuner and the performance drops quite abit but i can still see quite alot of jaggies, as though there is no aa on at all. thats at 1280x1024 as well.

just hope this isnt the case when the full game comes out, cos i cant play games without aa these days.

15. Alistair

Regular

Hmm. Tried to force AA on my 9600. Didn't seem to do anything...

Do quite like the game though. The weapon upgrades work well, as does the two weapon load-out. The upgradeable med-injection thing is nice (fits well into deathmatch - you really are exposed while using it) and the fire-preventing 'dash' mode adds a little bit of tactics when coupled with the slow run speed. The large aiming reticle gets smaller with shorter bursts, and weapon upgrades. There's also a degree of zoom with every weapon, which makes it effectively smaller, again at the expense of leaving you exposed. Vehicles are fine and fun.

Don't really play online, so take my opinions with the proverbial salt.

16. CouldntResist

Regular

Anyone else caught himself trying to do double-jump?

17. Ostsol

Veteran

Heheh. . . Yeah, in every FPS I play. ;) That and dodging.