Panzer Dragoon Orta

Here is the beginning of my review:

Panzer Dragoon fans have waited a long time for a new title in this series, which has taken on almost legendary status amongst the Sega faithful, and more than a few Sega fans were convinced to buy an Xbox when this title was announced at the Fall 2001 Tokyo Game Show. While many were hoping for a true sequel to Panzer Dragoon Saga, Sega decided it would be best to first reintroduce the series to the mass market with a shooter in the vein of Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei. I'm happy to say that the results have been entirely worth the wait, for Panzer Dragoon Orta is the best action shooter ever made.

I was first introduced to Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei in late 1996 when I picked up a used Saturn along with roughly seven games, PD and PDZ among them. While the impending release of NiGHTS into Dreams was a major consideration in my decision to choose Sega's Saturn over Sony's PSX, the PD games were the icing on the cake that validated my decision. I've never regretted purchasing Sega hardware, and although I left console gaming for a few years after the Saturn fizzled, I shelled out $150 US for a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga last year to complete my collection. Just as PDS has set a new benchmark for console RPGs, Panzer Dragoon Orta has raised the bar for shooters from here forward.

The game begins with a brief but compelling CG introduction. Naturally, just like previous games in the series, you play a lone character in need of help from your Dragon in order to survive. As you progress through the game, the bond strengthens between you and your mount which evolves into more powerful incarnations. You discover story elements along the way, which clue you in to the wonders of the greater Panzer Dragoon narrative. PDO contains some nice CG cut-scenes mixed with real-time material that do an excellent job of conveying the emotion and wonder of the Panzer Dragoon world. There is a lot more story here than PD or PDZ, but not quite as much as PDS, which isn't surprising given that the emphasis in PDO is appropriately placed on the action.

This brings me to the incredible gameplay....

Go to SegaWorldWeekly.com and subscribe to the newsletter to get the rest of my review.

Well it seemed like it was a good review, but I hate newsletters and I'm lazy so I'll live without the rest. :)

Saga DID set a benchmark among console RPGs. Too bad like no one played it :devilish:

Anyways, I hate signing up for newsletters. What score did you give Orta? I'd give it a 9.4 out of 10 :D

Just got it and am about an hour into it. Damn fine game Sega. This ought to be the game that turns around Sega's Xbox misfortunes. But it wont. I'm afraid the all too casual crowd and the PC guys ( both of which sums up the majority of XB owners) will leave this one to die like the rest of Sega's XB offerings.

Wether or not it's as great as Starfox 64 is still up in the air for me (I'm really just starting to get into PDO). I will say it just may be however.. we'll see. BTW, has anyone played Ikaruga GCN import yet? I love the old style top down shooters as well. I hear it's good.

The reason I'm not buying it is the incredibly short gameplay of the game.

It'll make for a good rent.

The short game will kill PDO's chances of reaching 1M+ sales, IMO.

But it wont. I'm afraid the all too casual crowd and the PC guys ( both of which sums up the majority of XB owners) will leave this one to die like the rest of Sega's XB offerings.

Yeah , sad really :(

BTW, has anyone played Ikaruga GCN import yet? I love the old style top down shooters as well. I hear it's good.

Haven't played the GCN one, but the Arcade was good. Shooter are so rare at the moment, but I am happy to see some Gradius 5 screens :)

The reason I'm not buying it is the incredibly short gameplay of the game.

Its a shooter, if it is too long, it will probably bore you.

I'm expecting great things from the Ace Combat Team on Starfox Armada. Finally a true Starfox game. Anyone know when we might expect even a small snapshot? btw, right now I'd give PDO a solid 8.9-9/10. What did Famitsu give PDO? I saw where they just gave Ikaruga GCN 9-9-9-9's =36.

Goldni said:
Wether or not it's as great as Starfox 64 is still up in the air for me (I'm really just starting to get into PDO).

I feel that it is. StarFox 64 was just too damn easy. At least Orta has some challenge to it. Yet the gameplay is strategic enough so that it's not frustrating.

Also, Orta has that Panzer atmosphere. Comparing that to Fox and co. is no contest :p

marconelly! said:
If Rez is any indicator - on-rail shooters with excellent art don't sell jack...

But Rez was hard to understand (not many of my friends have managed to get into it).

PDO and Rez, although they're in the same building, they are in different floors.

Ozymandis said:
Goldni said:
Wether or not it's as great as Starfox 64 is still up in the air for me (I'm really just starting to get into PDO).

I feel that it is. StarFox 64 was just too damn easy. At least Orta has some challenge to it. Yet the gameplay is strategic enough so that it's not frustrating.

Also, Orta has that Panzer atmosphere. Comparing that to Fox and co. is no contest :p

Well, I haven't played Orta yet, but I will say from personal experience with Star Fox 64 that getting a medal on every level on expert mode is pretty challenging(though far from frustratingly hard).

Goldni said:
BTW, has anyone played Ikaruga GCN import yet? I love the old style top down shooters as well. I hear it's good.

I have GCN Ikaruga, skipped the DC version for it. It also supports progressive output on GCN.

It have been a long time that I haven't played a good old style shooting game, and I think Ikaruga is pretty interesting.

Reznor007 said:
Well, I haven't played Orta yet, but I will say from personal experience with Star Fox 64 that getting a medal on every level on expert mode is pretty challenging(though far from frustratingly hard).

Yes, some of the medals can be hard to get. Nonetheless, it's like you actually have to struggle to get yourself killed in that game :LOL:

I do think that SF64 was better than Panzer Zwei, a bit... but Orta blows it out of the water, as well it should.

SF64's Expert medals were way easier than Standard!

There are like twice as many enemies to kill... :rolleyes:

My current PB: 1,351!

Ozymandis said:
Saga DID set a benchmark among console RPGs. Too bad like no one played it :devilish:

Anyways, I hate signing up for newsletters. What score did you give Orta? I'd give it a 9.4 out of 10 :D

Ozy, could you please write up a review of PDO in GameFAQs or something? :D Always loved your JSRF and ICO reviews. :D

KOF said:
Ozy, could you please write up a review of PDO in GameFAQs or something? :D Always loved your JSRF and ICO reviews. :D

I was planning on it, if I had time this week. Dead or Alive Volleyball comes out Wednsday though :p

Hey, I'm glad you liked my other two reviews. You know two websites saw those on GameFAQs and asked me to be a reviewer for them? I kid you not. One was even a British gaming site :LOL:

Tagrineth said:
SF64's Expert medals were way easier than Standard!

There are like twice as many enemies to kill... :rolleyes:

My current PB: 1,351!

By PB do you mean something in Orta, or a score in Star Fox 64? If it's Star Fox, my best is around 1,800 something.

Geeforcer said:
Ozy, you are STILL playing NWN???

Yes, sort of. I bought the game back when it came out, played for like a day, resumed it in October, took a break in November when Phantom Crash came out, and I'm about to start again when (if?) I upgrade my PC this month.

I have made a promise to myself that I WILL beat it. It will be the first PC RPG I have ever finished, although I own Fallout 1 and 2, Morrowind, Baldur's Gate, and Septerra Core. I have a hard time with PC RPGs.. too boring for me :p

Edit: actually, I own and beat Vampire: the Masquerade a while back... but that game is very "console-ey" IMO.

They are too boring for me too, I prefer some console's RPG from far.
(especially Grandia 2, bought another Dreamcast cause mine failed just to be able to play this game :) )

I play NWN since early august; met ICB and plenty other bugs (bioware sucks :p); it's boring now, there's nothing to do but hack & slash.
I think I will play it once a month when really bored ^^

But yesterday I was so bored, I ate tomatoes and cheese in the middle of the night, instead of playing NWN.

Anyone have games to recommend ?
(I've still 6 NGC games to finish, but anyway...)

Back