Pairing MH-505 Sats with another Sub

Nite_Hawk

Veteran
Hi Guys,

So a couple of months ago I bought a set of monsoon MH-505 surround speakers for my computer. They are great speakers, but unfortunately recently I started getting a rather loud crackling sound out of my front right speaker. I figure out it was the amp, and took it apart. One of the chips on the amp is fried, and there was some soldering work done on the board (this was refurb). Anyway, it doesn't look good in terms of fixing, so I'm trying to decide what to do about it. I don't have a lot of spare cash right now, so I'm on a bit of a budget. Heres some things I've been thinking of doing:

1) Buy a cheap set of speakers with a decent amp/sub, like the logitech z-640s. Use my monsoon sats on that set.

2) buy a cheap surround receiver off of ebay and hook my speakers up to that.

I like option 2, but there are a couple of problems. The speakers with the original amp only got like 10-15 watts RMS per speaker, and a normal surround amp will be able to provide atleast 60 watts. I'm a bit worried about blowing them out.

The speakers on the original amp were crossovered at like 200Hz. I think they can probably atleast go down to 120Hz from some comments on 3dss, but I'm guessing I probably should atleast crossover them at 80-120Hz.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

Thanks,
Nite_Hawk

Back