Packaging insanity

Discussion in 'Politics & Ethics of Technology' started by Bludd, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Grood stuff, thanks! :lol:

3. CNCAddict

Regular

I'm hoping these are the exceptions rather than the rule. Even so, it's obvious whoever packaged this stuff up has a strange sense of humor.

P.S. The mouse on the pallet is the best :)

4. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

I still think the sheets of paper are the most insane.

5. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Newegg in the states is trying to do better. I get alot of the memory cards and other small acessorys from them in those padded package envelopes. Its much better than it was before.

6. DudeMiester

Regular

Here's my contribution, courtesy of SIGGRAPH

I've since given the sack away to a friend who needs to mail small children.

Attached Files:

7. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
    Good grief! FWIW my copy arrived in a bag only a few mm larger than the journal.

Based on the 20+ years of SIGGRAPHs on my shelf, guess they won't be using that for, say, 2015's edition. :)

8. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Amazon in Europe is sending out DVD movies and TV series collections in these cardboard boxes that are only slightly larger than the DVD case itself. They're entirely unpadded, and several times I've had DVDs knocked loose during transit so they rattled around inside and got scratched up pretty bad.

I had to complain to Amazon because of this; my Carl Sagan's Cosmos box had the 5th (last) disc pretty badly scratched, so they sent me a new box (didn't want the old one returned). When I received the replacement, BOTH disc 1 and disc 5 had come loose, both of them were damaged worse than disc 6 in the original box...

I've also received cracked DVD cases because of their flimsy shipping packaging.

Trying to be environmentally conscious and save on shipping and packaging costs is good if it's not overdone to a point where it damages the product itself and causes waste that way...

9. Sonic

Sonic Senior Member
    Veteran

Amazon isn't much better in the states. I've ordered through them in the past and while the packing might be efficient it is horrible by design. I bought four X360 games from them last year and two of them ended up having to be returned. As you said the discs came loose and were unplayable on the machine. I don't use Amazon any more for that reason, too much of a hassle.

10. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

I was considering ordering a movie from amazon, but I will buy it used instead.
    it's a shame as I got my cell phone real quick from them, no problem with the package and a free delivery as a first time user. Pretty cheap too (a 29€ high quality, long battery life phone - nokia 1209)

11. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Retail is no better. When I used to buy games retail I had just as many scratched disks, loose disks, etc as I do now when buying them off the internet.

Chances are many of those discs came loose just getting shipped to the etailer before they even sent them out to you.

Regards,
    SB