P.J. McNealy" final assembly of the PlayStation 3 is in full swing"

Brimstone

B3D Shockwave Rider
Veteran
Analyst: Final PS3 Production in Full Swing

Analyst P.J. McNealy says that his research indicates that Sony is currently in the midst of final assembly on its PlayStation 3 hardware and he believes Sony can ship 2 million worldwide this year. Sony's stock was down today, though, over concerns about PS3 hardware malfunctions at the recent Tokyo Game Show. More within...

According to analyst P.J. McNealy of American Technology Research, final assembly of the PlayStation 3 is now in full swing. Although Sony has had production issues because of shortages of blue laser diodes, causing the firm to cut its worldwide launch figures to just 500,000 units, McNealy is "upbeat" about Sony meeting its goal of 2 million PS3s shipped worldwide by the end of December. Sony is targeting 6 million PS3s shipped by the end of its fiscal year next March.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=13991

So it looks like production is underway.

BTW, if this is the case, then I believe the GPU is a nv47. Sony wouldn't go into full production without saying something.

Sony's stock was down today, though, over concerns about PS3 hardware malfunctions at the recent Tokyo Game Show

my God this better not be because of that one photo of the guy with the fan. Was there any other reports of failing PS3's? Seemed things went about as smooth as they could to me. I never read about any issues from any of the gaming websites.

my God this better not be because of that one photo of the guy with the fan. Was there any other reports of failing PS3's? Seemed things went about as smooth as they could to me. I never read about any issues from any of the gaming websites.
I think the markets tend to be run by jittery rabbits spooked by any old nonsense. They don't waste time confirming rumours or researching potential problems.

Analysts change their projections like the rest of us change our underwear. Well, they better be in full swing, otherwise they're sh#$ out of luck for a launch anywhere.

The problem is, initial manufacturing never goes according to plan, and the more complex the unit, the worse it is. I'm no analyst but, I'm a betting man, and I'm betting sony doesn't get 2 million out by the end of the year.

It's kind of sad/funny how much power these analysts can have. Stock price dropping because an article that provided little evidence to back it up makes stock drop? If I were an investor I'd be a bit more concerned about the L-ion issue than supposed instability of PS3s at TGS.

For some reason, I highly doubt there was much issue with the PS3s at TGS, or we'd have actually heard about it (from more than just kotaku or whatever trashy blog posted about that fan incident) -- the internet is all over Sony lately, so I doubt they'd have let a chance like this go to waste had it been an actual issue. We'd also have heard about it on random forums by posters who were there (there was a lot of people there, and I didn't hear any mentions about a PS3 freezing while being played)

Non final software, high temps, and who knows what other issues are sure to cause some instability here and there, but I imagine it happened all around.

Sony can't seem to catch a break lately, heh.

Sony might ship 2 million from factories, but they won't reach retail.

They stated they'll air ship them for a while (probably just for this year/season) -- if they were shipped by boat, then yeah... it's likely they wouldn't all reach in time. I don't see why they wouldn't make it into consumers hands if they got them made as it is though.

Or did you mean something else?

It's kind of sad/funny how much power these analysts can have. Stock price dropping because an article that provided little evidence to back it up makes stock drop? If I were an investor I'd be a bit more concerned about the L-ion issue than supposed instability of PS3s at TGS.

Well the stock's already dropped for the battery thing. This is the PS3 'thing' associated drop.

Truthfully though none of it mattters for a long-term investor (so long as they keep truly educated); as long as Sony actually delivers with PS3, you'll see the same mentality that led to this stock dip today contributing to a share price bump later on. Frankly if one has faith that BD can win out and PS3 will ultimately succeed on the level of PS1 and PS2, now is a great buying opportunity. It's just the leap of faith required to make predicitions and then back them up with your wn money is always a little harder than making predictions alone. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What, no 32/12 half-a-G80 configuration anymore? ;)

Not if they're manufacturing them now. Sony would have said something.

My enthusiasm for the PS3 is really low mainly for the lack of rumble anyway. I love well done rumble effects in games.

if only rumble is a deciding factor for a console.... isnt that a bit over the top?

I hold the controller 100% of the time while playing the game and I enjoy the "feel" of well done rumble effects.
I too was deeply hurt when I found out about rumble, but then I played Cod2 on PC, and I didn't even notice the lack of rumble!

But still, here's hoping a 3rd party peripheral is made available @ launch that takes advantage of Immersion's rumble+gyro technology, so at least the devs get an option to release (via online of course) patches to enable rumble! That'll be cool!

Not if they're manufacturing them now. Sony would have said something.

My enthusiasm for the PS3 is really low mainly for the lack of rumble anyway. I love well done rumble effects in games.

To be brutally honest, i just enjoyed the use of rumble in Metal Gear, Shadow of the Colossus and Gran Turismo 3/4. For all other games i simply turned it off.

Back