Overdraw/shader question

ninelven

PM
Veteran
I can't say that I know much about 3d architecture today, so this question may seem a bit foolish. Anyway, I was just wondering if multiple shaders or just shaders in general can contribute to overdraw issues?

In what respect do you mean 'contribute to'?

As I understand it, as much overdraw as possible should have been removed by occlusion culling and the like before shaders start running.

Well, mainly I was interested in say multiple shaders which happen too all effect a particular pixel, but only 1 of the shaders' results is actually shown or something to that effect.

ninelven said:
Well, mainly I was interested in say multiple shaders which happen too all effect a particular pixel, but only 1 of the shaders' results is actually shown or something to that effect.

You can draw tris over the same pixel multiple times each with shaders and depending on the Z ordering you might end up shaing the pixel multiple times.

This is one of the reasons you might consider doing a Z pass first if you have very expensive shaders. You pay the cost of your geometry twice (somewhat less than if it's done right) and only shade each pixel once (really slightly > 1).

Back