overagressive pop up blocking in new Mozilla/Firefox?

3dcgi

Veteran
Supporter
I recently upgraded to the new Mozilla Suite 1.7.7 and I've noticed some issues that weren't there before. Firefox might have the same issues. Even links I click on that load pop up windows are being blocked. I have to add the entire site to my allow list to see the window. It's very annoying as these sites worked before. Does anyone else have this behavior?

Also, I ran across a site that still doesn't have pop ups blocked. I had to click on an article to get the pop up. Previous versions of Mozilla blocked almost all pop ups for me. I don't know if they ever blocked How Stuff Works though as I haven't visited there in a while.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/

Firefox will block a clicked-link pop-up from time to time, but it usually gets the hint by just clicking the link once or twice more.

OTOH, I'm seeing quite a few unwanted pop-up ads (pop-unders?), so Firefox isn't blocking enough from that end.

I've noticed this on my laptop's Firefox install. I installed an extension that supposedly helped to curb a lot of pop-unders and will apparently be a part of future Firefox installs, but it's also exhibiting exactly the symptoms you mention--pop-ups, even from clicked links, do not appear *ever*. Whitelists for everybody.

hmmmm..... i only get pop-up....or unders (not sure) on one torrent site, otherwise my FF works totally normal. if i click on link it will open pop-up window.

but if the price of not getting annoying pop-unders is no pop-ups at all.... well, i think webmasters and developers will have to rethink about concept which was turned into something really ugly....

personally, i dont allow my designers to make pop-ups unless customer insists...

I guess pop ups or unders must still be successful if advertisers are still using them. Hopefully the Mozilla developers will find a better way block pop ups than what they are now doing.

silence said:
hmmmm..... i only get pop-up....or unders (not sure) on one torrent site, otherwise my FF works totally normal. if i click on link it will open pop-up window.

but if the price of not getting annoying pop-unders is no pop-ups at all.... well, i think webmasters and developers will have to rethink about concept which was turned into something really ugly....

personally, i dont allow my designers to make pop-ups unless customer insists...
I get a few popups here and there.

OT: you may want to disable rep ;)

You dredged up this topic from almost a year ago to post THAT? ;) Been a lot of water under the bridges since then you know, hehe...

And Silence doesn't post here anymore, not since he was hit with the reputation nerf-club that put him into double infamy status. ;) Btw, you can't disable rep when it's too low, I think you need like 50 points minimum to prevent it from showing.

Use Maxthon. Quite a nice addition to the browser collection if you are indeed looking for an alternative to FF.

Back