Over-moderation of console forum *spawn

deepbrown

Veteran
Uncharted hair talk removed from RE5 thread ;)

To where? We are talking about the best hair in video games - there's RE5 and Uncharted. We want to talk about the technical side etc etc. It's relevant. B3d is OVER moderated. You think people are going to look through the RE5 thread and say OMG they're talking about another game!?

I disagree that the board is over-moderated. The problem is the users aren't moderating themselves. The contributors to the RE5 vs. Uncharted Hair discussion should have themselves recognised it was OT and created their own thread if they wanted to talk about. If they wanted to continue the discussion from the RE5 content, a polite PM to a mod to make a change would have likely had the desired effect. I often find myself not posting posts I've written because I've recognised it's off-topic and would derail the thread.

It's not about people getting upset that there's another game being talked about. It's about keeping information organised and on-topic so when a person visits a game thread to talk about a game, they find conversation about that game and not other unrelated stuff. Or if they visit a tech thread discussing hardware utilisation, they don't meet instead a long debate about market forces.

It's less effort for people to start a new thread for a topic they want to talk about than it is for mods to tidy up jumbled threads. A little deviation is accepted, but a whole extra line of discussion needs a new thread. Otherwise why not just throw everything into one big thread?

Not over moderated. Would it be less moderated it would spawn lots of GAF style posts and threads making this site toxic.

@ Shifty

Agree with all your points 100%.

@ Nebula

Yours, too.

And as for the situation that spawned the OP; if the topic was worth discussing, then surely it can support its own thread.

Isn't the problem more stupid thread names rather than moderation?

If people are discussing something in one thread, they aren't automatically going to assume a thread with a completely different name is where that discussion is now.

How about keeping the same thread name and adding *spawned hair (or whatever) discussion

You only say that becouse you lost your hair oldtimer! /JK muahahaha

OK sorry this was perhasp to rough. :p
Nah, that was the exact joke I was going for. I'm not hung up about my hair loss, I just enjoy whining about it a lot. :p

Isn't the problem more stupid thread names rather than moderation?
I think it's more a stupid users problem... (JOKING!!! ;) )

Hello! :)

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, if not I'm sorry. :(

But I just tried to post in the console forum about steering wheel controllers and it told me that I followed an invalid link and that my post was probably "put into moderation."

I'm just posting here to let a moderator know that I am not a spammer so that they can let my message go through please! :)

Okay, thank you! Bye! :)

My opinion: No, the console forums in particular and b3d in general aren't overmoderated.
No, the way moderation is handled here is exceptionally well done and it shows in the remarkably civilised tone throughout these forums (well, except RSPC of course, but that intentional, isn't it? ;) ) without sacrificing the "meat" of it - kudos to the forum crew for that!
I've seen interesting debates in here originating from blatant flamebait posts that would have imploded in (almost) any other forum before reaching second page...

Back