Over clocking

mkillio

Regular
I'm thinking about over clocking my P4 3Ghz and I want to be safe about it so I'm going to replace my current fans and heat sink and add one or two more fans. I was wondering which fans and heat sink to get, I assume I should get a copper heat sink. I do need to have the fans be really quiet though since my computers in my room.

for the heatsink, Thermalright SLK947U (or, alternately, whatever the new one with the heatpipes is, the one that's P4 only).

fans? I like Cooler Master TLF-R82s, seeing as how I have 3. 35CFM, I think, and 28dBA, so they don't suck. LEDs are an added benefit if you have a window and don't really matter if you don't.

Thanks for the info. Also, is that heat sink copper and is there that big of a difference between aluminum and copper heat sinks? How much do you think I can over clock my computer witht aht kind of a set up? My case is aluminum with a window btw.

Do you think that I should get a new heatsink and fan for my chipset too? I currently only have a heatsink. and do you have to individualy over clock the FSB and CPU? Also, is there an easy way to find out what size fans I have?

That I don't know, I'm more of an Athlon fan myself, so I haven't kept up with how much various P4's can overclock. A good place to pose that question is here:

http://www.futuremark.com/

These people are some mad overclockers, but ime are willing to help noobs.

mkillio said:
How much do you think I can over clock my computer witht aht kind of a set up? My case is aluminum with a window btw.

well, cooling is imporant but it depends on a lot of factors like your ram, motherboard chipset and just how lucky you got with the cpu itself. but the window in the case, that is worth another 100mhz easy. ;)

I noted the the aluminum case because it's better for heat but since there's a window that's made of plastic I figured it might hurt the cooling some.

I have the ASUS P4C800 ATX Motherboard with DDR400.

Well the motherboard u have, can definetely overclock, but since u have a 3ghz already u should aim for something in the 3.3-3.4 ghz area with air at best.

And as said before the ram plays a big role... so need to know if it is Kingston, Corsair or maybe some no name ram ? DDR400 is usually not enough for the biggest of overclocks, but since u have a 3ghz and not aiming for 250fsb+ then u should be okay :)

SO what kind of RAM should I get, what brand and from where? Also do you know how fast the fastest P4 that supports my chipset is supposed to be?

mkillio said:
bump/how much do you think I canover clock my computer with just a new heat sink and new/an extra fan(s)?

With exceptional Air cooling and the right Motherboard you may be able to reach 3.5-3.6Ghz

Reference the CPU Overclock Database at overclockers.com

The P-IV 3.0C had 29 entries and an avg. overclock of 3601 Mhz.

http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/

I ordered the Thermalright SP94 today and I was wondering if I could use it without a fan and still be at safe temperatures. This is of course without overclocking.

I don't think that's a good idea. But you can mount a 92 mm fan on low RPM.
My Thermalright SLK900 A has a past 92 mm dfan running at 19 dezibel.

Well I'm going to try it without a fan first. I did install my Asus system monitor so I'll pay close attention to it for a few days.

Thanks.

how come? heat issues or other? If I can't then I need a really quiet fan. My computer is in my bedroomand i annoys the piss out of me and anyone that ever comes in there.

mkillio said:
how come? heat issues or other?
Yes, heat, it's the thing that your P4 doesn't really like to keep to itself and getting it away effectivley requires a minimum amount of airflow on the heatsink.

mkillio said:
If I can't then I need a really quiet fan. My computer is in my bedroomand i annoys the piss out of me and
I'd recommend buying a medium-speed fan (maybe ~3k RPM) and using a potentiometer (like Zalman Fanmate) to adjust its speed downwards until it's either a) quiet enough or b) your P4 overheats and throttles. (think 65 C core temperature upper limit)

mkillio said:
anyone that ever comes in there.
:LOL:

cu

incurable

I got the heat sink put in and I put a chassis fan in it and it runs at 1700+ RPMs and my CPU temp, is at 58C. Is this a pretty safe temp.? If not, then what self monitoring/changing cpu fan should I get?

Back