OUCH!!!!

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
diver-photo.jpg

Diver hits board on way down

American Chelsea Davis is expected to be released from hospital later on Friday and could return to the diving competition at the world swimming championships despite a spectacular accident during the preliminary round of three-meter springboard.

After slamming face first into the board attempting a 2 1/2 somersault, the 17-year-old tumbled into the pool and laid motionless face down in water with blood streaming from her nose as U.S. coaching staff jumped to her aid.
OUCH!!!!

I always thought that those jumps were quite a risk, because they're too close to the jumping board, which isn't soft.

This happened once before, but the diver had AIDS and didn't tell the person stitching him up (without gloves).

rashly said:
This happened once before, but the diver had AIDS and didn't tell the person stitching him up (without gloves).

aren't athletes' health supervised prior to competitions?

If he's referring to Greg Louganis at the Seoul Olympics in 1988, it was in the dark ages of AIDS, before most people were widely concerned about HIV infection through athletic injuries. In fact, I believe he was one of the main reasons people have adopted policies of requiring notification of HIV infection when enrolling in athletic programs.

digitalwanderer said:
diver-photo.jpg

Diver hits board on way down

American Chelsea Davis is expected to be released from hospital later on Friday and could return to the diving competition at the world swimming championships despite a spectacular accident during the preliminary round of three-meter springboard.

After slamming face first into the board attempting a 2 1/2 somersault, the 17-year-old tumbled into the pool and laid motionless face down in water with blood streaming from her nose as U.S. coaching staff jumped to her aid.
OUCH!!!!

Duh.... so how many pipelines does she have ?

Sorry, wrong forum. I kinda miss Console Talk.

:rolleyes:

That does indeed look very painful.

From what I've heard, Diving can be quite hazardous; even in controlled/professional environments. My sister used to dive for her school team and later the provincial squad for a number of years and had her fair share of bumps of bruises, either from impacting the water unevenly due to mistiming the action or from grazing the board (usually with one's hands or feet) mid-action.

The worst injury she sustained (which was fortunately very minor compared to the girl in the article) was when she lightly knocked her mouth on one of the smaller boards while practicing a new dive and chipped off part of one tooth. Luckily the dive was fairly simple and she had minimal centrifugal force increasing the impact and the tooth was easily remedied. I believe at one meeting she attended, a diver mistimed/overcompensated for a dive off the 10 metre board and hit the water awkwardly and with such force that he was unconscious for most of the day.

Cheers,

BrynS

Note to self: Do not do crazy diving techniques that will slam your face into a diving board.

She's never going to live that down..... I bet all her diving friends will make fun of her (as she seems to be ok).

Man, she caught the edge of the board right across her nose. That's going to leave a mark.

Reminds me of when I was trying to learn how to flip on a trampoline back in high school. I ended up doing about 450 degrees in my flip and coming to a stop when my face slammed into the metallic ring around the trampoline (the spotters had jumped back), with all my weight and the momentum of the full flip behind the impact. I walked away but I've never had a worse head ache.

Video! We need video evidence!

The picture is priceless, I forsee a new favorite "PWNED" picture acroos the intarweb.

I still can't get over the fact that she basically is ok after that, that looks like it could easily be crippling or fatal.

It's only hilarious 'cause she walked away from it, otherwise I wouldn't have posted the pict.

That being said, I NEED the video! :devilish:

What, pwned by a diving board? That's like, stupid.

Maybe we should build a time machine and find that moment when you or vysez tripped whilst trying to put on a pair of uncooperative pants, snap a pic, and make a "pwned" image out of it. That'd be stupid too, pwned by a pair of pants. :D

REAL pwned pictures is when someone gets pwned by SOMEONE ELSE, not just randomly fucks up at something.

I did some google search and no sign of video, all I found was the pic of her bleeding. Which is no fun, we'll all agree (except for the few blood lovin' vampire among us)...
Guden Oden said:
Maybe we should build a time machine and find that moment when you or vysez tripped whilst trying to put on a pair of uncooperative pants
No, you didn't!
That was one of the most traumatic moment of my whole life... :cry:

Anyway, never heard of self-ownage Guden? And this one is a nasty self-ownage.

IbaneZ said:
http://svt.se/svt/road/Classic/shared/mediacenter/index.jsp?&d=39530&a=424534

*KLONK*

Ouch indeed. :?
Oh snap! Man...

John Reynolds said:
Man, she caught the edge of the board right across her nose. That's going to leave a mark.

Reminds me of when I was trying to learn how to flip on a trampoline back in high school. I ended up doing about 450 degrees in my flip and coming to a stop when my face slammed into the metallic ring around the trampoline (the spotters had jumped back), with all my weight and the momentum of the full flip behind the impact. I walked away but I've never had a worse head ache.

good jut bought a large trampoline a few months back, and now it is in teh back garden. Not that I am trying those kind of acrobatics, but before I try I better remember this :eek:

Back flips are harder imho, but I can do both ways np, but oly front flips off diving boards... oh and cliffs too if they're not too tall. Like when I jump from 15', but not when I jump over a mid-sized tree from 45'. :D

Back