OSX Weed

Discussion in 'Unix, Mac, & BSD (3D)' started by Grall, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Semi-translucent windows... Wow. Windows dropped it, OSX adopts it.

(Of course, Aqua theme featured it years ago.)

White window backgrounds - awesome. I really hate the dreary grey, and the linen background texture and so on of current OSX.

2. tuna

Veteran

I like the features they copied from gnome3/gtk!

3. Pressure

Veteran Regular

Which are?

4. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Ok, installing public beta of OSX Weed on my 2011 macbook now, wish me good luck, haha.

Seems final release is fairly imminent, or else I probably wouldn't have dared. Presumably, the worst bugs have been - errr - weeded out, by now...

Goddamn slow terrible harddrive in this computer though! I really should invest in a SSD, both OS upgrades (as well as patches sometimes), and bootups take half an age to complete. I wonder, does OSX support trim universally now? Back in 2011 it was only supported for Apple-branded SSDs. I guess it's still the same, they've never been into after-market upgrades over there, and these days it's even worse. They even had proprietary harddrives in some iMacs for chrissakes. ;)

5. Scott_Arm

Legend

Apple needs to take a page from Microsoft and start optimizing the OS for performance. Microsoft made huge strides with Windows 7 and then 8. GPU performance in OSX is a joke.

6. Pressure

Veteran Regular

OS X is optimized for performance.

It has vastly superior memory handling and multi-core support, some of it because of its lineage.

You can enable TRIM for all SSDs that support it but it requires you to set the boot flag to enable unsigned kexts (for Yosemite).

Code:
    sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"
    I'm looking to snag up one of those Apple PCIe SSDs from eBay together with an adapter, 1GB/s read/write speeds are quite nice. They work out of the "box" and has a greater value than the OEM Samsung XP941.