OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Unix, Mac, & BSD (3D)' started by Scott_Arm, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Scott_Arm

Legend

I have a late 2008 macbook pro. It is a supported machine. While it's running, it seems to be very snappy. I just get the odd lockup on a program, which I never experienced in Lion.

I did an upgrade install after reading about it a bit. They said upgrades are not an issue anymore. Maybe I should have gone the clean install route instead.

What's the PRAM? Are you referring to file permissions? Haven't done either of those two things.

Edit:
    Btw, thanks for the tips. I'm going to try both of those when I get home. Worst case, I back things up and do a clean install.

2. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

PRAM is like the CMOS data:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

3. Scott_Arm

Legend

4. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Is Mountain Lion available on USB key (yet)?

Downloading the OS all over again should I ever need a reinstall would get supremely tedious...

5. Scott_Arm

Legend

How to make a bootable disc or usb key of Mountain Lion:
    http://www.cultofmac.com/180925/how-to-make-a-bootable-disk-or-usb-drive-of-os-x-mountain-lion/

For a clean install, would I be able to restore my personal files easily from Time Machine? I backup to Time Machine fairly regularly, but I've honestly never spent time restoring any files to know how good it is for restoring particular files. There are probably some installed apps (Steam + games) and obviously my personal docs that I'd want.

6. Scott_Arm

Legend

Reset PRAM and used disk utility to repair permissions. It found quite a few files that needed their permissions corrected. I'll see if it helps out.

7. Pressure

Veteran Regular

Remember that Apple has removed all 32-bit .kexts, so if any old applications use these they may cause the crash.

Have you seen the crash log?

Code:
    ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports
    The library folder is hidden by default but you can get to it from Finder. 'Go' -> 'Go to Folder' and copy paste the line above.

To make the folder permanently visible open Terminal and type the following:

Code:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library

8. Scott_Arm

Legend

Good to know. Seems like there aren't any crash logs on my system. The applications weren't crashing, they were just freezing indefinitely and I'd have to force quit, and in the case of the dock and menu bar (or whatever it's called) I had to restart my Mac.

9. Scott_Arm

Legend

So, Dungeon Defenders just locked up on me the same as yesterday. Maybe it's some kind of campatability issue with Mountain Lion. It's very strange though. It just totally locked up. I'm looking at my GPU/CPU temps, and I'm not overheating or anything.

10. Pressure

Veteran Regular

Oh, you can restart Finder without restarting the computer.

Just Command+ALT+Escape and pick Finder.

Not sure what's wrong with Dungeon Defenders though. Really annoying.

Work case scenario I would try a clean reinstall of Mountain Lion to see if it alleviates some of the problems experienced.

11. Scott_Arm

Legend

Yeah, I think I'm going to try a clean install this weekend, but I have a feeling it's an issue with the game and not my OS install. Thanks for all of the help. Learning lots of tricks I didn't know about. My laptop, besides having some overheating issues, has been rock solid software-wise, so I never had to learn much in the way of trouble shooting.

12. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Did the upgrade, fonts look a bit messed up, more than before but that could be some setting that got reset. Upgrade went without issues but just now tried to minimise the Mail window, and it just ... doesn't. Minimize window button stays pressed, nothing happens. Safari minimised without issue.

13. Scott_Arm

Legend

I haven't noticed fonts looking weird, but I'm not sensitive to that sort of thing.

Haven't tried mail. Dont have an account set up in it. Haven't noticed any problems since I followed Pressure's suggestions. Only problem I have is Dungeon Defenders locking up. Still haven't tried other games.

Overall, I guess I'm reasonably pleased, but don't noticed much difference in day to day use. I think it starts up a little quicker, and I used to have twenty seconds after logging in where loading an application would take a while, but that seems to be gone.

If my macbook supported airplay mirroring, I'd probably be thinking about an apple tv.

14. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Anyone know if Mountain Lion supports TRIM on more SSDs?

15. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

are u serious? but if you are, well most things

* resize the window or change icon size and the icons move around so theyre in the window & it works 100% of the time
    * being able to delete stuff out of the trash (eg useful when u want to use a memorystick)
    * rename multiple files at once
    * ability to swap between 2 directories quickly
    * ability to hide .ds_store
    * more file info options
    * search will list the path as well

I literally can type an hour about whats broken or badly designed

did they fix the cursor bug, i.e. when I click the mouse I want it to click on exactly whats under the corner point, not ~6 pixels under it, ive gotten used to it now but still its an obvious bug that should of been picked up day 1, @ 8.05am

Im gonna wait until the first service pack before I install mountain lion