Opps - set Netwrok from Domain to workgroup = stuffed

g__day

Regular
Opps - set Network from Domain to workgroup = stuffed

I'm in a bit of poo!

I took my work Windows XP notebook home for the first time and tried to copy files to my home PC to work on.

My work notebook logon is a user id with the network login using a domain, whereas my home network uses a workgroup. So I set my laptop network to use the same workgroup rather than a domain, thinking I could set this back later - via a change or a system restore.

On re-boot it now says I can't login (says my user-id/password combo is invalid), and I am stuffed. I can't even get to the screen to reset this - I don't have any administrator password!

Is there anyway around this before Monday? I tried a recovery re-boot, a re-boot with last known good settings - no joy, is there any way around this please!

I'm installing another Windows XP to my spare D drive. Can I somehow edit a file on my C:\windows drive\directory to either force it to recover to an early system recovery point or set some the network file back to a domain so it asks what domain so I can get on as normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't panic! The same shit happened to me ;-) There's a way:

It's called Austrumi:
GEt it here
Direct LINK

Official HP

It is a small 50MB Linux distro that features a powerful login breaker called nt_pass. Just read the explainations on the CD.
Boot up and start nt_pass. Locate your SAM file and follow the instructions. Pretty easy and straight-forward
BTW, you need Austrumi Version 0.9.2 so better use the direct link.

g__day said:
I'm in a bit of poo!

I took my work Windows XP notebook home for the first time and tried to copy files to my home PC to work on.

My work notebook logon is a user id with the network login using a domain, whereas my home network uses a workgroup. So I set my laptop network to use the same workgroup rather than a domain, thinking I could set this back later - via a change or a system restore.

On re-boot it now says I can't login (says my user-id/password combo is invalid), and I am stuffed. I can't even get to the screen to reset this - I don't have any administrator password!

Is there anyway around this before Monday? I tried a recovery re-boot, a re-boot with last known good settings - no joy, is there any way around this please!

I'm installing another Windows XP to my spare D drive. Can I somehow edit a file on my C:\windows drive\directory to either force it to recover to an early system recovery point or set some the network file back to a domain so it asks what domain so I can get on as normal?

You are going to bring joy to your IT dept I am sure ;) Taking the machine out of the domain is always a good thing to do, then you go ahead and install a copy of XP?

No offense but these kinds of things are the reason why we lock users machines down hehe

edit: btw after you get scolded on Monday for future reference you can get to your files on the notebook from your home computer by going to start-->run and typing \\nameofworkbookcomputer or if you are still allowed asministrator access \\nameofworkbookcomputer\c$ . Do this after you have shared a folder.

It will prompt you for a user name and password, simply put your work logon credientials in and you can access whatever shares or the root of C if you are an admin.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you mess with your XP install and the IT guys figure out that you craked the PC, you can loose your job. IT guys look down upon users who try and hack their ystem.

Just be honest and tell the what you did. They will fix it with out too much hassle and they most likely won't say anything.

The reason you cannot access the PC is that your network setting are not correct and you do not have a local account on the machine. You can ask the IT guys to give you local admin rights but you still would not be able to remove and add a domain since you need the account and password that is authorized to add PC to the domain.

Poo happens, doesn't it!

Last attempts, would either of the following work

1. Copy cmd.exe or explorer.exe or rstrui.exe to system root \system32 as my logon.scr file and simply wait for screen saver to reset the domain or reset to an earlier restore point?

2. Copy my D drives password/user file to C and reboot there as either matthew or admin and then execute a system restore?

Just thinking that if I can either get past logon to a admin account - or force a system restore I'm covered!

Else its as you said, look sheepish and fess up!

Back