OpenGL 4.0

Discussion in 'Tools and Software' started by pcchen, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Lonbjerg

Newcomer

I think he is reffering to all the hot-fixes that is needed due to the locked in iron driver schedule...or stuff like this:
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3463&p=6

You seem to always be behind NVIDIA when it comes to supporting games...or OpenGL.

A single "on time" dosn't make the other stuff go away.

2. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha Subscriber

[off-topic] these newer than 10.3a?

3. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Yes and no. AFAIK its a somewhat different branch and some of the perf updates might not be in there. Use if you are interested in OGL dev, if not then stick with the currents. They will all be merged in a future WQHL post of course.

4. rpg.314

Veteran

Whoa....

I don't recall AMD being this quick to support OGL in the past. BIG <3 for AMD ogl driver team.

And now, please port them to linux and add UVD for those afflicted with ssh and the commandline, who are pining for some driver luv from AMD.

5. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

The Linux build is on the linked page. I wouldn't hold my breath about UVD becoming all that interesting on Linux anytime soon though, and if you have an Evergreen I wouldn't hold my breath about it being exposed at all anytime soon.

6. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Also Alex... hmmmm:

Citation needed! :twisted:

7. wishiknew

Regular

I'm confused by the AMD blog. Double precision coming to HD 5400, HD 5500, HD 5600 and HD 5700 later?

8. rpg.314

Veteran

Ain't that a bitch.:evil:

Personally, I am very hot on hw video decode. I hope ihv's start treating it like a first class feature for the neglected OSes.

9. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

10. cho

cho
    Regular

11. XMAN26

Banned

Anand should rethink their statement about Nvidia Unified drivers. They had to drop support for previous gen cards with the launch of the G80 as the driver before that launch had support going back to the TNT when the unified driver first started, a good 4-5 years before ATI started theirs. Eventually, dead weight has to get dropped. Det driver 2.xx(1996/7) to Forceware 97.xx(2006/7), TNT thru 7x00 cards, thats over 10 years of GPUs. they had to draw the line somewhere.

#31 XMAN26, Apr 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2010
  12. rpg.314

Veteran

I think they have a unified driver for all >=Geforce6 gpu's. All of those are still supported.

13. Lonbjerg

Newcomer

Logically I would draw the line between fixed function(G7x) hardware and (G8x)unified hardware.

14. rpg.314

Veteran

G6x and newer have only programmable pipelines.

15. MrGaribaldi

Regular

True, but G8x unified the shaders, so still quite a difference between the models..

16. rpg.314

Veteran

Maybe, but the drivers are still unified. I guess unified shaders is a smaller change at the driver level than going from ff->programmable pipelines.

17. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Having unified drivers was/is a measure to fight user ignorance. It shouldn't be based on the technical aspects of the parts covered by them. If nV was still releasing parts based on NV1 alongside the GF100 in a parallel universe those drivers still ought to be in the same driver download. By the same token, if there are no users with older parts you can leave them out of the unified package regardless of whether they follow or break or any technical architecture.

Having said all that, now that Windows Update is pushing video card drivers I'm not convinced we still need these unified bundles any more. Certainly, anyone that doesn't need WU to install any driver for them, can click the relevant download link for their respective hardware. id Software alongside the IHVs also fought against this for OpenGL with the venerable "GLSetup" program that was eventually made obsolete when IHVs started paying attention to end-user experience. Perhaps it's too soon and far too many people still use XP for it to be viable but I don't believe unified driver packages are as important now; in fact, I'd wager that having a single binary is of more interest to IHVs to ease development.

18. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Are you sure that the Windows updates push all the components and not just those that are required for Windows operation? I'm not sure things like (for AMD drivers) CCC is included.

19. XMAN26

Banned

I'll agree with Dave and add that anyone who trusts MS driver updates for their video card is a loon. I've seen there "Recommended" drivers in those updates BSOD machines more than once for Nvidia, ATI and S3/Via based GPUs.

20. Npl

Npl
    Veteran

No, CCC isnt included - but is it needed for casual users?
    I know a couple users who are running on 78xG chipsets and there is no need for the CCC, multimonitor can be configured from Windows panels aswell. (And I dare to say that I wouldnt use CCC aslong there are alternatives)

On the Nvidia side the controlpanel is included, but physx and cuda isnt. Games using it install the runtime anyway so its no big deal either.

A possible advantage using unified drivers (binaries) could be when you are using multiple different cards (from the same vendor of course).