OpenGL 3.0 is here (finally)

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by B3D News, Aug 11, 2008.

1. B3D News

B3D News Beyond3D News
    Regular

2. idsn6

Regular

3. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Yep, I'm reading through the API and language specs now. No texture objects (maybe in 12 months?). The deprecated parts are a good start but how long will it take for a OGL implementation of the forward compatible context?

4. Zengar

Regular

It's a disgrace. I said it on the GL forums and I say it here. And Richard, texture objects existed in GL for 10 years (introduced in 1.1); are you talkign about something different?

5. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Talking about keeping texture buffer objects (and geometry shader support) as extensions. Khronos says they'll likely move to core in 12 months but by then will anyone care?

6. Npl

Npl
    Veteran

Pff, after all this talk about a clean new API and better drivers resulting from it, they release a set of extensions? :roll:
    Way to go... and even more stuff loaded on top of it for the next revision, as theres no word on API-Cleanup now.

7. Spaceman-Spiff

Regular

Looks like opengl.org is slashdotted, website is so slow.

8. zsouthboy

Regular

9. idsn6

Regular

10. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

:shock: It seems they [Khronos] really fuxed things up good.

11. Killer-Kris

Regular

Seems honest and full of information about what likely happened :frown:.

What worries me is that things were only marked for deprecation, not actually getting it over with and deprecating them. Prolonging these features lives' is only going to make things more difficult and progress slower.

12. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

But it may be a good way to move into the future. Like moving a document to the thrasbin before deleting it permanently ...

I hope all this turns out as something that improved the decision making process and ability for the spec to move forward a little more efficiently. In the meantime, I'd like to know thoughts form experts here on the importance of OpenGL ES 2.0 ... is it something that is used on the PS3 for instance?

Also, since there is so much negativity I just thought I'd post something that sounds more positive. ;)

http://www.farrarfocus.com/atom/

Will be interesting to see where things move from here though! I think we'll start to get an impression once (and if indeed) Nvidia releases its OGL3 drivers in september.

13. JHoxley

Regular

I'm no OpenGL developer but I have been following these events - sensational reading if nothing else! I wonder how many people will follow through their threats never to trust Khronos again and possibly never touch OpenGL ever again :eek:h:

Anyway, a few interesting comments have been made about the future competitiveness of the API market. Competition is good and to have Microsoft running away with the lead on Windows is awesome at the moment, but with no serious competition will it slow things down at some point?

Interesting times...
    Jack

14. Jawed

Legend

What are the prospects for OpenCL if this is such a hames?

Jawed

15. NocturnDragon

Regular

OpenCL wasn't develped by Khronos but afaik totally by Apple and then given to Khronos for standardization.

So it's a totally different approach.

16. I.S.T.

Veteran

That would be SGI, not Apple.

17. frogblast

Newcomer

OpenGL was developed by SGI (a very long time ago) and eventually moved to Khronos.

OpenCL was developed by Apple, and recently proposed to Khronos.

18. Rys

Rys AMD RTG
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

My main concern here is that Direct3D doesn't exist anywhere but Windows. OpenGL is still the only good way to program 3D graphics on myriad platforms, including the one that just got 5% PC market share in North America, yet there's no denying that it's some distance behind D3D10 in terms of giving a sane programming model with no extension and vendor hell. 3 does little to change my mind, despite Timothy's nice dissection.

The need for a clean object model and a strong push to deliver it has been around for years now, ever since D3D9 showed up.

As someone who rarely cares to touch Windows any more unless forced into it, I'm a little upset. I was hoping 3 would let me get enthusiastic about tools dev on Linux :(

19. I.S.T.

Veteran

I read the C as a G. >.<

20. jordi

Newcomer

I think people is too flamable.

Ok. It is not as nice as we wanted. It is not so clean. And what? Any middle or big size application will not be issuing GL commands all over its code, but have a thin layer over the API. Make this layer as clean as you want, because that is what you will be using it all the time.

I think OpenGL will prevail because, as already stated by many people, it is the only option for many platforms. And it will evolve more.

j.