OpenCL and AMD/ATI DX11 GPUs [spin-off]

Discussion in 'GPGPU Technology & Programming' started by Scali, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Scali

Regular

I just bought an HD5770, my first ATi card since the 9600XT. I went for an HD5770 because it's cheap enough to just toss aside should the Fermi be compelling enough (my 8800GTS went the way of the dodo just a few months too soon, sadly).
    I feel that currently nVidia doesn't have its hardware in order, and ATi doesn't have its software in order. For gaming the HD5770 is doing its job, but I am disappointed by the lack of OpenCL support. The 8800GTS did that lots better. On the other hand, DirectCompute is here now, and I wanted to use that anyway, as I use DX11 now.

2. mhouston

mhouston A little of this and that
    Regular

OpenCL runs on the 5770.

3. Scali

Regular

I didn't say it didn't work. I said that the support is lacking.
    Did I mention that AMD devrel needs to improve lots?

4. rpg.314

Veteran

Any particular quibs you have with their GPU ocl SDK? Is their dxcs support significantly different/better from their ocl support? I just installed their CPU sdk. Will start playing with it

My peeve with the CPU sdk is that their profiler doesn't work with it. Are we expected to use something like Code analyst to profile our ocl kernels?

5. DeanoC

DeanoC Trust me, I'm a renderer person!
    Veteran Subscriber

Erm in OpenCL land so does NV, at this point OpenCL support is lacking big time from all vendors but then its only just got here, so prehaps all vendors should be given a little bit of leyway?

And as its the path ATI/AMD are pushing, it seems reasonable there OpenCL will get better fast (as its both CPU and GPU for them, so pretty important!).

6. Scali

Regular

AMD had a big mouth about OpenCL all this time. nVidia has been silent... so I didn't exactly expect such poor support going from an 8800GTS to a HD5770.
    The only way to get OpenCL support is through some unofficial hotfix driver, which only supports a bare minimum of OpenCL features (nVidia supports quite a bit more)... and for some reason applications such as SiSoft Sandra still don't detect the OpenCL support.

7. rpg.314

Veteran

Could you develop that point?

Intel is MIA. Wonder what's up with them. It;s been more than a year now. And they haven't even released a beta. :roll:

8. DeanoC

DeanoC Trust me, I'm a renderer person!
    Veteran Subscriber

I have a issues with a 8800GTS refusing to work with OCL (stack fault on the first OCL call), but I guess its likely to be an unlucky combination of drivers etc. I don't claim all NV OpenCL is rubbish on the basis of a sample of one...

I know people have got it working with varying pro/con on each platforms, and I expect as it matures it will easy and more stable.

9. FrameBuffer

Banned

Been out of the loop for a bit but is there a OpenCL "caps-like" viewer available ?? IIRC, there used to be a OpenGL utility that you could run that would list the supported OGL features in a given (installed) driver. I know DX used to have s similiar app that relied upon DirectX caps ( ahh here it is : DirectX Caps Viewer DXCapsViewer.exe)

Edit** Hmm I guess I answered my own question: GPU Caps Viewer - OpenGL and OpenCL Graphics Card Information Utility, GPU Caps Viewer 1.8.2 - Windows XP / Vista 32-bit (2009.12.28)

10. Scali

Regular

Yea, it tells me I have a CPU and a Juniper OpenCL device, but none of the samples seem to work.
    Like I said, support is lacking.

11. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

[OFF TOPIC]
    Well, it works for me quite fine :wink:

Almost 2000MPx/s on slightly OCed HD5870
    To make it work you need newest SiSoft Sandra 2010 16.26 and AMD StreamSDK 2.0 final release + Cat.9.12 beta.

Older Sandra releases were broken and didn't detect OpenCL for me as well.

PS. Check this section for a lot of cool OpenCL developments
    http://forum.beyond3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
    I'm curious how your card will fare in SmallPTGPU app.
    [/OFF TOPIC]

12. rpg.314

Veteran

Did you specify the device type in commandline arguments?

If not, then this has bugged me too. Suffix --device cpu to get the cpu version running.

13. Scali

Regular

Doesn't work... Neither CPU nor GPU works.

14. OpenGL guy

Veteran

Check your path and make sure it's pulling in OpenCL.dll from the Stream SDK before anywhere else. My guess is that it's using a different OpenCL.dll that's not compatible.

15. Scali

Regular

No, I even specifically copied OpenCL.dll into my System32 and SysWow64 directories to make sure it picks the right ones... It just doesn't work.

16. mhouston

Regular

Did you have Nvidia's OpenCL installed prior? The ICD registration may have gotten borked.

17. cho

cho
    Regular

In NVIDIA's 196.21, the opencl.dll is(are) come from khronos group, will AMD follow this to provide same icd in the driver ?

18. mhouston

Regular

Um, we have been using the Khronos approved ICD since the last release. We haven't verified Nvidia latest drivers are per the current Khronos version. The previous ICD from Nvidia was a few revisions out of date. Should be easy enough to check, install the AMD CPU implementation and it should be detected correctly.

19. Broken Hope

Regular

Any idea when we're going to get OpenCL support without having to go through the hassle of installing the SDK and such? I believe with Nvidia you can just install their display drivers and get OpenCL support.

20. Scali

Regular

That is correct. With nVidia, the OpenCL.dll is supplied with the drivers, with AMD it's part of the SDK.
    Another thing I found in my travels through AMD's SDK... you actually NEED to have the Radeon driver files on your system, as they are linked directly in OpenCL.dll. Even if you only want to use the CPU implementation.
    I had a problem running CPU-based OpenCL on a system with no ATi videocard. I had to manually copy a few DLL files from the Catalyst package to satisfy the dependencies.

Funny enough, mhouston still PMs me asking what the problems are. That's why I think AMD devrel stinks. They pretend like they don't even know about issues like this. I've seen threads on their forum about it. You know what's broken. Don't PM me pretending that everything is fine and dandy. I'm not an idiot.