Open Source/Cheap: Internet Monitor & Website Blocker

I'm glad the image has worked out for you. The IMSpector looks like a great plugin, but if I remember right, requires the system to be inline with the data (so acting as a layer 3 or higher device for that traffic). I haven't quite gotten to that point in the project yet. The next step I think will be to install the whole setup on a mini-itx box with wireless, and set it up in that fashion. I work mostly with high bandwidth networks, and don't usually have the luxury of placing linux boxes inline (although in some cases I would love to). As a workaround for now, look at putting in snort and have it log the IM packets. It can then listen in promiscuous mode and doesn't require anything inline.

I'm trying to finish the embedded ethernet project right now (http://www.kathmannlabs.net/mediawiki/index.php/Embedded_Ethernet_Project) Once that's done, I'll put more effort into the inline device. I've also added an "upcoming projects" page to the site. If there is anything you would like to see on there, or if you would like any of those projects expedited, let me know.

Nick

Back