Open Pandora, the ultimate homebrew handheld device?

The Open Pandora is a portable PC device that is built with homebrew in mind. It's almost like the first real handheld PC gaming device. It seems very powerful, and can even emulate N64.

* Texas Instruments OMAP3530 System-on-Chip with Cortex-A8 at 600 MHz [13][14]
* 256MB DDR-333 SDRAM[13]
* 512MB NAND FLASH memory[13]
* IVA2+ audio and video processor (based on the TMS320C64x+ DSP Core at 430 MHz) using Texas Instruments's DaVinci technology[13]
* ARM Cortex-A8 superscalar microprocessor core[13]
* PowerVR SGX 530 (110 MHz) OpenGL ES 2.0 compliant 3D hardware[13]
* Integrated Wi-Fi 802.11b/g[13]
* Integrated Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR (3Mbit/s) (Class 2, +4dBm)[13]
* 800x480 resolution touchscreen LCD, 4.3" widescreen, 16.7 million colors (300 cd/m2 brightness, 450:1 contrast ratio)[13]
* Dual analog nubs; 15mm diameter, concave, 2.5mm travel from centre[13][15]
* Full gamepad controls plus shoulder buttons[13]
* Dual SDHC card slots (currently supporting up to 32GB of storage each, supports SDIO)[13]
* Headphone output up to 150 mW/channel into 16 ohms, 99dB SNR[13]
* TV output (composite and S-Video)[13]
* Internal microphone plus ability to connect external microphone through headset[13]
* 43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad[13]
* USB 2.0 OTG port (480Mb/s) with capability to charge the Pandora[13]
* USB 2.0 HOST port (480Mb/s) capable of providing standard 500mA current to attached devices[13]
* Externally accessible UART for hardware hacking and debugging[13]
* Brick prevention with integrated bootloader for safe code experimentation[13]
* Runs the Linux kernel (2.6.x)[13]
* 4200mAH rechargeable lithium polymer battery[16][17]
* Estimated 8.5-10+ hour battery life for games, 10+ hour battery life for video and general applications, and theoretically 100+ hours for music playback (with backlight off and maximum power management)[18][19]
* Dimensions: 140x83x27mm (5.51x3.27x1.06 in)[13]
* Mass: 335 g (approximate weight: 0.739 lbs)[20]

It's not DX9 on the go like a super powered laptop, but this is even more portable, and has a longer battery life. Anyone else excited about this sucker?

Here are some videos of the sucker in action.

Except for the form factor, it's not that great technically. OTOH, I find the form factor very interesting :smile:

This would have been exciting 2 years ago, when it was announced.

Right now, the hardware will quickly become obsolete, because of OMAP4xxx cellphones coming out in 2010 (which should be 3x faster in games).

I do like the device but the price is a bit on the high side. Not to mention the buying process isnt very nice. I will also wait for reviews on the retail unit for issues like build quality, the firmware and dev tools provided etc. May order in the second batch.

I understand the specs are outdated, but how can you compare it to a cell phone though? This sucker has a fully functioning analog nub and buttons designed for gaming, and it's more portable than a laptop.

I don't think the point was to compare it to a cellphone, but rather that upcoming cellphones will be much more powerful than the too-late-on-market Pandora.

I'll wait for Pandora2 (if it ever comes into existence...) because I like the controllers and think the first incarnation is underpowered.

The clock rate will be 200+ MHz for the SGX540 in the 45nm OMAP4, so the platform should have four times the graphics performance of OMAP3530, not just three times.

However, next generation phones are still well more than a year away from release, and Bounce: Evolution, with its shader graphics detailed to 800x480 on the N900, shows that the performance of OMAP3 is up to the task of remaining near the cutting edge for all of that time.

Back