$ony Quality

Johnny Awesome said:
http://www.computingreview.com/PRD_124273_1587crx.aspx

I got a link for you:
http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/story/story_4466.html

WIN2K CONTAINS 63,000 'DEFECTS'
Would you spend $500 on a piece of software with more than 63,000 potential known defects? That's the question posed in an internal Microsoft memo regarding Windows 2000 obtained by Sm@rt Reseller. According to the memo, Windows 2000, which makes its debut this week, contains: More than 21,000 "postponed" bugs, a number of which Microsoft calls "real problems;" more than 27,000 "BugBug" comments, which are ways to make something work better or more efficiently; and overall, more than 65,000 "potential issues" found using Microsoft Prefix Tool -- 28,000 of which could likely be "real" problems

I can do this for every manufacturer, in basically every marketplace, every segment, selling any product.

The moral of this story is "Don't be Gay"

Give him a break ;) I think he's just having a little fun. It's just kind of humorous to see over 500 reviews for it, all having the same problem and running into the same shoddy support.

DeathKnight said:
Give him a break ;) I think he's just having a little fun. It's just kind of humorous to see over 500 reviews for it, all having the same problem and running into the same shoddy support.

I understand, but you can find this with any corperation - the larger and more diversified they are with more products only increases the chances. This is a Console forum, he posts a topic entitled "$ony quality" about a DVD player or something - why do you think he did that?

Give me a break.

Johnny Awesome said:
http://www.computingreview.com/PRD_124273_1587crx.aspx

lol, thats alot of complaints.

I use to be a sucker for SONY products. TVs, Receivers, Speakers, Headphones, Discmans, Camcorders. Too bad they all break with me. I thought I was jinxed. The last straw for me was with its PlayStation line. I lost 2 PSXs and 1 PS2 before I realized its not worth the punishment to replace all this stuff. I switched to the Matsushita brands (JVC/Panasonic) and never looked back.

I was very unfortunate to work at a Circuit City a while ago. Sony and Panasonic are by far the best selling brands in our area. But Sony is unquestionably the king of returns. Granted we moved alot of Sony products, but 8 out of 10 times a customer returning something or getting warranty service, it was for a Sony product. Still for all the people who have problems with Sony equipment, there is a ton of satisfied people out there. I just don't know any of them.

Sony DV cameras are awesome though. No problems with the ones at work and they are of the highest quality. I just know I will never buy Sony again because I've been burnt too many times. I don't hate the brand though, they make some of best stuff going. Its just that Sony's quality assurance people need to be lined up and shot.

Yes Sony mid-low end products are pretty bad in quality, their high end is still good though, but I do hope they fix up their quality on that range.

Heh, even for that DVD player Johnny linked, there are tons of 5 star user reviews (just click on the best reviews link). Who to trust, who to trust ;)

Well if we wanted to make this console related...the PS2 can easily be substituted and the end result would still be the same ;)

We've gone over SONY quality before and it wasn't a mystery then so I don't see why it is now :LOL:

It's even scarier when you think about how CELL is supposed force people to buy everything SONY :p

Well if we wanted to make this console related...the PS2 can easily be substituted and the end result would still be the same

...or you could substitude it with any other console and the end result wouldn't be any difference. :rolleyes:

It's even scarier when you think about how CELL is supposed force people to buy everything SONY

I don't see it forcing anything. If it will succeed, I'm sure CELL will be licenced to others just like they did with MiniDiscs.

Phil said:
Well if we wanted to make this console related...the PS2 can easily be substituted and the end result would still be the same

...or you could substitude it with any other console and the end result wouldn't be any difference. :rolleyes:

It's even scarier when you think about how CELL is supposed force people to buy everything SONY

I don't see it forcing anything. If it will succeed, I'm sure CELL will be licenced to others just like they did with MiniDiscs.

I don't hear people complaining about GCN quality problems.

BTW MD was/is a relative failure kinda like BETA ;)

Solid state MP3s players or CDRs are much more sucessful than MDs. The percentage of MD users is probably less than 2%.

Obviously, if you haven't heard of any, that means they're totally non-existand? :rolleyes:

BTW MD was/is a relative failure kinda like BETA

Solid state MP3s players or CDRs are much more sucessful than MDs. The percentage of MD users is probably less than 2%.

Perhaps in America - in Europe and Japan it's widely known and features great advantage to the mp3 format.

BTW; I fail to see what relevance MD being a failure or not has to your arguement of "CELL forcing people to buy everything SONY"...

Phil said:

Obviously, if you haven't heard of any, that means they're totally non-existand? :rolleyes:

BTW MD was/is a relative failure kinda like BETA

Perhaps in America - in Europe and Japan it's widely known and features great advantage to the mp3 format.

BTW; I fail to see what relevance MD being a failure or not has to your arguement of "CELL forcing people to buy everything SONY"...

So are you saying PS2 owners are more vocal about quality assurance issues? :LOL:

From what I understand CELL is designed to be used in other SONY products. It's supposed to be proprietary like BETA. MD was proprietary at first then SONY saw the format going downhill so they rushed to license it out to other manufacturers.

What great advantages does MD have over MP3?

MP3 advantages:

Players can be very very small and lightweight.
Solid State ie no moving parts.
Low power only requires 1 AAA battery for like 10+hrs of use.
Very good sound quality depending on bitrate.
Format can be recorded to CDRs and played back in many CD and DVD players.

So are you saying PS2 owners are more vocal about quality assurance issues?

there are a whole lot more ps 2 owners than cube owners in this world. about 5x more or so? Seems half the complaints only need a lens cleaner anyway...with that said, N is usually tops in quality department :D

iscariot said:
So are you saying PS2 owners are more vocal about quality assurance issues?

there are a whole lot more ps 2 owners than cube owners in this world. about 5x more or so? Seems half the complaints only need a lens cleaner anyway...with that said, N is usually tops in quality department :D

Even when PS2 launched in 2000? ;)

Should I bring up PSX? :oops:

iscariot hit it on the nail. Perhaps back at launch time, there were some 1st generation hardware that had problems (mainly in Japan), but with such a sell-out (close to 1 million in first few hours) and the hype surrounding the consoles arrival, any bit of news from launch defects to shortage will naturally be pulled out of proportion. Of course, problems existed, but with the fast growing userbase and the PS2 being "the" thing on the market, naturally any news would be pulled way out of proportion. Compare that to a GameCube launch... go figure.

BTW; I never said GameCube had comparable defects, but that there are always faulty products. One console just happened to be getting a whole lot more attention that's all. I tell you what, if GameCube ever makes it to 50+ million sold units, we can talk over quality (of course if real numbers exist). ;)

From what I understand CELL is designed to be used in other SONY products. It's supposed to be proprietary like BETA. MD was proprietary at first then SONY saw the format going downhill so they rushed to license it out to other manufacturers.

Of course, just like many other Sony inventions aswell. If they license it out == more money for Sony in the end + more market share. Of course their not obligated to do so, but I think Kutaragi already mentioned similar ideas for the future of CELL in some interviews.

What great advantages does MD have over MP3?

Is my answer relevant to your arguement?

Great advantage? The sound quality is better. That's good enough reason for me. ;)

You think you can hear a sound quality difference between a 320kbps MP3 and MD? :LOL: Keep on living in your dream world man.

BTW SONY makes some poor quality products...you're grasping for straws and you know it. Like I said before PSX and PS2 had more quality issues than any of the other console makers. Same with their DVD players ;)
It's common knowledge might wanna take of your goggles.
Blown out of proportion :LOL:

Maybe you like using your PSX upside down, but I'm sure the rest of real world doesn't. Time to face reality.

You think you can hear a sound quality difference between a 320kbps MP3 and MD? Keep on living in your dream world man.

Try finding all your mp3s ripped with good tools in 320kbps quality. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I don't expect you as a non-audiophile to understand this... ;)

It's common knowledge might wanna take of your goggles.

Are you suggesting I should take a look through your googles for a change? Thanks, but I'd rather pass - it might force me to believe that everything that goes beyond my imagination and comprehension level is totally non-existant. ;)

Audiophile? :LOL:

Sorry but audiophile and MDs shouldn't even be in the same sentence. Looks like your superior comprehension is missing some common sense ;)

Time to face reality. Take off them SONY goggles and unplug that SONY memory stick. :p

BTW I don't download MP3s. I rip my own. Do you download your audiophile quality MDs? :LOL:

Back