Online versus offline gameplay

blakjedi

Veteran
I dunno. I find myself completely disinterested in playing any game online against human opponents. I think racing might be the only game genre where this might not be the case. However, I am completely satisfied with games that "only" provide DLC, leaderboards, chat, access to orignal content, etc., as the limit to my online experience. I am in no ways downing the vibrancy and value that online components add to gaming. I am saying that I do not buy games based on their multplayer/online strength; if a game does not have a strong single player component I absolutely will not buy it.

Am I the only one that is like that anymore? :cry:

I have *never* played online and have no interest in it.

I like stories and i only enjoy games which give me something. Online stuff just doesn't give anything wrt story so i just have no interest in it.

I'll play online with friends when we can't meet up. I've no interest in playing with strangers. I vastly prefer co-op multiplayer than versus multiplayer, and that's a rarity with online gaming.

I'm like london-boy in the fact I want a story that is good enough to keep me wanting to play. Online games generally lack in the story department to make up for constant action. Even story driven MMO's can have problems. Guild Wars bugged at first since nobody wanted to watch the movies. They were so busy to just get to the next area. The first time I was going through I had to skip all the cut scenes that told the story, when I finally stopped to see what was happening the group disbanded right after the movie and reformed without inviting me...since I was slowing them down. I'd rather take my time and enjoy the story, then have to be rushed through.
By the way first post. :smile:

Gears of War online Co-op is quite a special thing. In fact, if you have online capabilities, its hard to ignore it (and virtually impossible to complete without it on Insane!).

I'm like london-boy in the fact I want a story that is good enough to keep me wanting to play. Online games generally lack in the story department to make up for constant action. Even story driven MMO's can have problems. Guild Wars bugged at first since nobody wanted to watch the movies. They were so busy to just get to the next area. The first time I was going through I had to skip all the cut scenes that told the story, when I finally stopped to see what was happening the group disbanded right after the movie and reformed without inviting me...since I was slowing them down. I'd rather take my time and enjoy the story, then have to be rushed through.
By the way first post. :smile:

Welcome to b3d! :D

Agreed with Dave - Gears is a great game in coop online and impossible to beat without it!

Coop online hopefully has proven to be a key to success for gears enough to gather support from other devs in new titles. Coop Halo 3 ftw!:D

I don't even touch the single player mode in Unreal Tournament. Some games are just made to be "online only". When you have games like that, the computer can only take you so far. Alot of people like the challenges that multiplayer games present.

Sure you can beat the AI on the hardest settings in a particular game. Play the same game online though and you will probably get beat by "average" players in the community of said game. That's what keeps multiplayer games fresh.

I agree with shifty and lb that the story arc of games without online MP tend to be stronger and that i prefer co-op mp over versus.

I like to "finish" games.

I agree with shifty and lb that the story arc of games without online MP tend to be stronger.
Actually, I'm not a fan of story in games, mostly 'coz I think they're general rather bad. I'm in it for the gameplay. I just prefer the single player experience over playing against human opponents. You can play at your own pace in your own way, setting your own challenges etc. The only time I'll play against opponents is against friends, but generally I'm not a competitive soul and don't much care for head-to-head. Sometimes it's fun, of course. Mario Kart was great on N64, and also fun was Crash Team Racing, or Worms in its day too. Generally though competitive gameplay isn't anywhere near as much fun as working together (and then shooting your 'friends' in the back!)

I'm also one to finish games too. I don't buy a game without finishing it

I mainly go for the story mode or co-op. I don't mind playing with random people, but only if I'm with my buddies (team games). More often, I find competitive online gaming to be more frustrating than satisfying, and I can't be bothered to practice to become better than random people or get sucked into it.

I also don't have a lot of time to play games, so I have an aversion to paying to play online (including most MMOs and Xbox Live). It's not worth it to me to pay a monthly or yearly fee when I pick up the controller less than once a month on average. I still wouldn't play MMOs otherwise because it's a huge waste of my time, and it's something that would just be another distraction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm more into single player games. The only online multi player games that I've really dived into was the UT games on the PC. Even then I never really played them for hours. Other than that I'm not really all that into online gaming.

Generally though competitive gameplay isn't anywhere near as much fun as working together (and then shooting your 'friends' in the back!)

Exactly! Half the fun is in the surprise. One moment you and your buddy are taking down criminals in Crackdown, the next, your 'friend' gets blown a mile away by a 'poorly timed' sticky bomb.

Overall, I'm all about single player (and I'll say that I like a 'good' videogame story, even if it's bad compared to say the novels I'll read or movies I'll watch--but I like an interesting "universe" just as much or more--Give me a framework and I'll let my imagination add in the details, speculate on things, etc.), and much moreso co-op.

Multiplayer is fun with friends, but I don't really play that competetively even then, and I don't really enjoy playing with strangers. If it's you with a party of friends, it CAN be fun, but still just doesn't compare to knowing (and preferably liking/tolerating) the people you're playing with and against.

Personally the majority of my gaming is online because I love FPS. The hours i've played UT and Counter Strike is probably pretty disturbing :smile: When it's not online gaming it's usually and RPG.

Back