Onimusha 3

AOS

Newcomer
Anyone else played this game yet? The opening CGI by Robot was amazing to say the least. The graphics are amazing on this game, possibly the best I have seen on PS2 yet imo.

AOS said:
Anyone else played this game yet? The opening CGI by Robot was amazing to say the least. The graphics are amazing on this game, possibly the best I have seen on PS2 yet imo.

Yes its the Best out of the series and yes that opening scene was the best CG on PS2 yet....ROBOT ROCKS.

I don't think Onimusha 3 looks very polished at all. There's some nice effects going on, and a couple amazing set pieces, but overall the appearance is very unbalanced. Most of the time I thought it looked like the typical Naomi brawler, Dynamite Deka 2 and Zombie Revenge for instance. Not a bad thing by any means -- I love those two particular games -- but I just expected something much more polished.

I think it's the combination of seriously f*cked up storyline (also in a good arcadish way), sub-par voice acting and bad directed cutscenes. A nifity little game, but nowhere near Devil May Cry in terms of presentation and pure style. Certainly not a top-tier for "All-time Greatest PS2 Graphics".

If by Devil May Cry 1 you mean, then you're right. But that's only because DMC1 was a ground breaking game in many terms (story etc.). Where as Onimusha is now in it's third incarnation. Based on the previous games O3 is very polished. Changing the game controls to what they are now from the old RE feel was a great move. And moving from 2d backgrounds to 3d was definately a good touch. I felt the game to be very polished more so then the first 2. Don't get me wrong here I'm a big fan of DMC series too.

I think there's no shame to say that opening CG is the best CG any game has ever seen. I always preferred ROBOT's work in Onimushas over stuff square did for FFX, hell even for their Spirits Within movie, and Last Flight of the Osiris. Their CG is previous two Onis has been outstanding, but this time they have outdone themselves.

but nowhere near Devil May Cry in terms of presentation and pure style.
Ouch, I beg to disagree. I hate the damn cornyness and all that 'cool' (if you're 12 years old) in DMC... and it's graphics certainly don't even come close to Oni 3 (field rendered and really jaggy at that). That fire temple at the Oni 3 beginning looks just nuts.

I love the corniness in both Onimusha 3 and DMC (it's the only way to appreciate those games). Also, I'm usually alergic to "game coolness", but I think it fit just right with the utter maximalism in DMC. Anyway, of course Oni 3 is more technically accomplished -- there's some amazing realtime backdrops like the waterfall by the buddha and the french castle -- it's just that DMC was released almost three years ago and really made an impression back then.

Also, there's something weird with the rendering. It obviously renders full frames, but the output doesn't seem properly filtered. I suppose they scale the buffer down to a half height front buffer, instead of keeping it and let the CRTC handle flickerfixing.

But yeah, the opening CG is just wicked! I must say I prefer the opening in Onimusha 2 in terms of style, though.

It was just released in US and has been out in Japan for a couple of months. Full 3D. Except you can't jump. :)

AOS said:
If by Devil May Cry 1 you mean, then you're right. But that's only because DMC1 was a ground breaking game in many terms (story etc.)...

/LB stops reading for a second...

/LB goes back... reads the sentence again.....

:oops: :oops: :oops: DMC had a story?!?! :LOL: :LOL:

Really, of all the things you could have picked up which made DMC the ground breaking game it is, story should have been the last one! ;)

Marconelly! said:
Ouch, I beg to disagree. I hate the damn cornyness and all that 'cool' (if you're 12 years old) in DMC... and it's graphics certainly don't even come close to Oni 3 (field rendered and really jaggy at that). That fire temple at the Oni 3 beginning looks just nuts.

I must say I quite disagree. I still find DMC to be quite visually impressive, if only because of the amazing art-direction. The colours and the setting were just amazing, especially the architecture of those med-evil castles and towers. The coolness of the Dante was exceptionally good and quite often reminded me a bit of what you'll get in a Bruce Willis movie (admittedly, I love Bruce as an actor). The bosses were also quite out of this world compared to many other games which certainly lack in this area. In short, the game was packed adrenaline ready to explode everytime a boss or a very strong enemy showed up.

Can't say I noticed much aliasing to beginn with (I actually thought it was one of the first games that had little problem with it) except for texture shimmering, which by all means wasn't that bad.

I'd call DMC one of the best games on PS2 so far. Graphically speaking, I have no doubts however that it doesn't compete with Onimusha 3 (haven't played that one or seen very much of it actually).

I must admit that i was shocked when i first put my hands on DMC. Shocked by how good it looked, how better than anything else out at the time that is. I'm not sure how it would fare today though, after all the stunning games that have come out since DMC came out.

I wonder how DMC3 will turn out. DMC2 was a disgrace, considering it was the sequel of one of the best games on PS2.

ne thing i have to agree with some people above, the "coolness" factor was very tacky, aimed at 12 year olds... Just look at the story and the voice acting.... /*cringe @ the voice acting*

Really, of all the things you could have picked up which made DMC the ground breaking game it is, story should have been the last one!

Ok, so the story wasn't anything super-evolved for the time it came out. Meaning it wasn't anything groundbreaking. But it was still something that really wasn't attempted. Meaning demon slayer etc, which I thought to be a very good story. At the end of DMC I was left wanting more in terms of story which I thought I would get with DMC2 but failed to deliver. In any event O3 is still quite amazing. The cutscenes aren't really flawless and the voice acting isn't oscar worthy but then again when has a game had really great voice acting on the PS2? Because I don't remember ever having one be that good, or maybe it's just my hangover.

AOS said:
Really, of all the things you could have picked up which made DMC the ground breaking game it is, story should have been the last one!

Ok, so the story wasn't anything super-evolved for the time it came out. Meaning it wasn't anything groundbreaking. But it was still something that really wasn't attempted. Meaning demon slayer etc, which I thought to be a very good story. At the end of DMC I was left wanting more in terms of story which I thought I would get with DMC2 but failed to deliver. In any event O3 is still quite amazing. The cutscenes aren't really flawless and the voice acting isn't oscar worthy but then again when has a game had really great voice acting on the PS2? Because I don't remember ever having one be that good, or maybe it's just my hangover.

Jak2 had the best voice acting i've experienced this generation. And the lip-synch was perfect... And for once, the funny dialogues were actually funny...

Jak & Daxter was up there too IMO (also Ratchet & Clank 1 & 2). One of the best lip synchings and voice acting this generation I've seen though is IMO undoubtedly Baulder's Gate: Dark Alliance (once again).

As I remember, Metal Gear Solid 2 was quite top-notch aswell. What about Silent Hill 2 or 3? Never played it, but given the few movies I saw of the game, I thought it was quite impressive to say the least :?:

Evil_Cloud said:
Knights of The old Republic had awesome lip-sinc.

Too bad that the rest of the cutscene animation was at many times mediocre at best...it was one of the few weak points IMO in an otherwise awesome game.

I've never been into Star Wars really, but so many people have proclaimed kotor to be a great game. Maybe I'll have to give it a try once I finish beating Oni 3.

but the output doesn't seem properly filtered. I suppose they scale the buffer down to a half height front buffer, instead of keeping it and let the CRTC handle flickerfixing.
Hmm, seems pretty nicely filtered to me. I think it does what some other PS2 games are doing for some time now - software filtering at GS + passing to CRTC (remember the soft/hard option in SH3?) That way you get the best image quality on interlaced TV with PS2, IMO.

Back