One step closer to unraveling the mystery of suspended animation.

NANOTEC

Banned
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-04/cp-pbh033106.php

"The finding has more than passing biological interest because understanding how tissues cope with the cardiovascular and oxidative stresses associated with hibernation or torpor may have direct clinical relevance," he added.

For example, he wrote, such a protective program might be exploited in transplant and vascular surgery. Scientists have suggested that hibernation therapy might effectively preserve donor organs for weeks or months.

Hibernation has also been found to protect animals from a wide range of potential threats, from muscle disuse to cancer, the study authors said. Therefore, hibernation therapy might confer protective effects in other clinical arenas as well.

The new findings could lead to "potential pharmacological applications in humans to the prevention of lethal diseases, such as hypothermia, ischemia, muscle atrophy, bacterial infection, and tumorigenesis, which has been observed during hibernation in hibernators," the researchers said.

"These studies may further stimulate the exploration of new techniques for cryosurgery of the heart and brain, as well as the development of hypothermia treatment that is effective for preventing brain ischemic damage." In cryosurgery, physicians use extreme cold to destroy abnormal tissue, such as cancerous tumors.

The complete 12 page PDF can be found here http://www.cell.com/content/article/fulltext?uid=PIIS0092867406003643&highlight=hibernation

Hmm, calling it a step towards suspended animation seems pushing it a bit to me.

During hibernation, the body still is working. It consumes fuel and ages etc.

Depending on the sci-fi involved suspended animation is generally a state where no aging/bodily functions occur.

Still quite interesting though, I sometimes wish I could hibernate through winter.

CC

I've been reading up on the abilities of other species too. The ability to survive without food for months, and still grow and move. The ability of tissues to withstand a lack of oxygen for more than half an hour if not much much longer, while active. To withstand both cold heat vacuum radiation and scarcity of water air or food for years or decades. The ability to fight back massive bacterial infections on large open wounds without trouble. To survive lvls of bodily damage that would be lethal to a human. To withstand radiation and toxins with ease, to easily withstand rapid massive changes in external pressure without trouble. To resist cancer like no tomorrow, to withstand the passage of time as if nothing.

The evolution of a species tends to concentrate and develops that in which it concentrates like no tomorrow, but it often loses the rewards gained through the other interesting paths it doesn't take. Intelligence on the other hand is able to overcome such oversights... such sweet morsels, such exquisite delicacies, I just can't wait to taste them all. Oh the sweet delight of ambrosia, how long will it take before I taste thee, before I savour thee between my shiny teeth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Captain Chickenpants said:
Still quite interesting though, I sometimes wish I could hibernate through winter.

CC

Hibernate through winter, I thought winters are for fun. ;)

Back