On TechReport's frame latency measurement and why gamers should care

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Andrew Lauritzen, Jan 1, 2013.

1. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

So, they'll be ditching the CF bridges for all GCN cards in a later driver update? I'm not sure if I understand what you're getting at.

BTW here's another good article on why Crossfire is broken with eyefinity and 4K. Vertical tearing lol. What a mess.
    http://techreport.com/blog/25399/here-why-the-crossfire-eyefinity-4k-story-matters

2. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

3. Ryan Smith

Regular

Not quite. My point is that the math is deceptive. "So the older GCN GPUs should have enough bandwidth to handle those [higher] resolutions" would be incorrect according to AMD. CFBI doesn't have enough bandwidth for anything over 2560x1600 by AMD's standards (though I suspect they're more worried about latency than bandwidth TBH).

#283 Ryan Smith, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2013
  4. homerdog

Right, that's what I figured.

AMD promised more information on a fix in the "very near future" on Sept 17th, which was before we knew it would be fixed in Hawaii. I wonder if they actually have plans to remedy the situation for older GCN parts. Considering they added silicon in Hawaii specifically to address this, my hopes are not all that high.

It's hard to believe that this has been so fundamentally broken ever since eyefinity was released with the HD5870. Also wonder why it took so long for NVIDIA to call them on it. Perhaps they had the same problems with SLI until Kepler?

5. Ryan Smith

Regular

We already know that AMD will release the Phase 2 drivers for older cards next month.

6. homerdog

I did not know that. Very nice!

I assume we don't know any implementation details? If it can be fixed in software, why add the XDMA to Hawaii? Hopefully all will be made clear.

7. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

I believe that ultimately we should be getting to the point whereby the same characteristics displayed by XDMA will be available for the other solutions in terms of functionality. I would characterize XDMA as a performance optimization.

8. homerdog

Very nice!

So to translate: XDMA will allow Hawaii and future cards to scale better in Crossfire than pre-XDMA cards, especially at >1600p, but the old cards will be updated to have adequate Crossfire behavior with Eyefinity and 4K.

9. kalelovil

Regular

I'm not denying that pre-GCN 1.1 CrossfireX has issues with ultra-high resolutions, but vertical tearing isn't intrinsically one of them.

If you had read further on in the link you posted, you would have read:

10. Davros

Legend

No,
    "same characteristics displayed by XDMA" "I would characterize XDMA as a performance optimization" So older cards will have the same performance
    thats how I read it...