OMG! TEchTv/Screensavers should be Shot!

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by Hellbinder, May 29, 2003.

1. Hellbinder

Banned

They had a Show talking about the 3dmark03 Driver cheats. Get this...
    According to Viewers they only mentioned ATi as Cheating. Made no referense to Nvidia Then showed Screenshots of NVIDIAS driver hacked IQ!!!..

If i where ATi I would outright Threaten a Lawsuit!!!!! :mad:

Here is the origional info

http://cgi.techtv.com/messageboards...rd_id=17&topic_id=3&thread_id=1108829

2. virtualsniper

Newcomer

The more I hear peoples on tv, on internet or in a computer store, the more I'm amazed at how many peoples don't know a thing about the industry, or doesn't even do research before saying something.

I actually feel some pity for someone who go to buy a computer, or some part, when that person is not familiar with computer. Which is what? Like 80% of the peoples who buy a computer? Just thinking at how many peoples get screwed, it's mind boggling!

And there are some peoples that think they know, because they watch a show talking about it. How are they suppose to know that the info on the show was bs?

I really hope ATI will do something, but I think the chance are slim to none. Anyway, even if they do something, it's too late. Maybe the person will not hear about the retraction and will still think that it is a good info.

This is getting worst by the day!

(please excuse the spelling, still working on my english)

3. cellarboy

Newcomer

I mentioned this in a thread here two days ago. Infact the second quote you posted is mine.....

I fired off a polite email to the presenter and the producers asking them to rectify the mistake. No reply and I wouldn't hold your breath getting one either.

"The Screensavers LAN party -- sponsored by Nvidia"

Nuff said.

One correction though - they DID mention Nvidia has cheated but more as an aside than a relevant point.

In all fairness they were just reporting the story as written on theregister.co.uk. Obviously they didn't check their facts before broadcasting on the air. The presenters aint the smartest pair when it comes to video cards either, so I wouldn't be too harsh on them.

4. tamattack

Newcomer

s'funny. I saw your post here yesterday. Then I made a reply in a thread over at NVNews (in which HB was participating) where I referenced the TechTV thingie and linked to their message board. Wasn't expecting to find HB post it over here in a new thread. Gues we are living in a 'connected' world after all. :D

5. Fuz

Fuz
    Regular

Its not how smart they are, its how much influence they have on the general public. There is no excuse for misleading the viewers and not stating facts, specially if you have any sort of influence over people.

6. SirPauly

Regular

And this is what many people don't grasp. They[certain so-called journalists] do have an influence over people and they realize they have an influence over people and yet mislead. So many times I read posters quote ignorant or misleading statements from reviews, etc..

Years I have read they[certain so-called journalists] are just misinformed and I see the same tactics used against 3dfx as I do against ATI.

What I simply see is nVdias PR working behind the scenes heavily to make them look as good as possible using any tactics -- but legal of course.

7. Saem

Veteran

IF a reporter or any other presenter of information cannot do their job due to their ignorance then they can't do their job and thus they shouldn't do their job. Ignorance in that -- and likely all -- lines of work is not an excuse.

8. YeuEmMaiMai

Regular

in that case half of the NY Times reporters should be canned.

9. cellarboy

Newcomer

Well when you consider they have a potential viewership of 40,000,000 and only manage to pull in 40,000 subscribers, I'd say they don't have that much influence. However, the majority of the people who watch the show would be influenced by their recommendations as judging by the call in questions the average view aint too bright when it comes to computers.

I'm not defending them. I seem to remember say that I was appaling and 'couldn't beleive what they were saying'. Given I was the one who brought the matter to both this board and Rage3D I'd say I do care what they said. I just don't expect anything to be done about it.

You could try getting a retraction from theregister.co.uk too. After all it was their story that TechTV covered.

10. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Am I sensing new slogan material here? "nVidia, the dumb gamer's choice!" (Sorry, it was funny in my head... )

11. cellarboy

Newcomer

I'd actually go with "Nvidia - the way WE think the game should be displayed"

12. digitalwanderer

Legend

So THAT'S what they mean by, "The way it's meant to be played!"....I kind of wondered about that. 8)

13. Nazgul

Newcomer

I dunno, I still think "Nvidia - the way you were meant to be played" is the best rewrite of that slogan :)

14. digitalwanderer

Legend

Yeah, but it's been used here already. These ain't got the impact, but they get some style points for originality at least. ;)

15. YeuEmMaiMai

Regular

well if you have seen what VisionTek put on their page

nVidia - nV 3x the way we were meant to be owned.

16. g__day

Regular

I prefer NVidia's more truthfully slogan being

"NVidia - playing with your minds"

17. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

nVIDIA - The way you're ment to get played.