OMAP 2420 Dev Board and Renesas SHMobile Board

Nappe1 said:
...and everyone in the biz long enough surely must remember Commodore's legendary "paddles" ? :) those were definately analog controllers. :)

Oh absolutely PCs had analog controls for zillions of years. I was just trying to stick to consoles or video game machines.

The graphical quality in that PowerVR Racer vid is far beyond anything I've seen from the PSP. And to think, it's the absolute weakest version of the chip.

I take my hat off to Imagination for producing a chip of such wonder in 2002 thats beating the hell out of competing products in the year 2005.

Absolutely amazing.

I can't wait to see what these guys will deliver for SEGA SAMMY's next Arcade board. It shall be truly monstrous.

You guys ROCK!

Not really bothered about how many obscure systems had some kind of analog controls. The fact is Sony changed their controllers to add the analog stick because of Nintendo putting an analog stick on the N64 pad.

Teasy said:
Not really bothered about how many obscure systems had some kind of analog controls.

Vectrex wasn't obscure. The Colecovision might have even had an analog joystick as well (but I'm not 100% sure).

Teasy said:
The fact is Sony changed their controllers to add the analog stick because of Nintendo putting an analog stick on the N64 pad.

Uh, ok. Thanks for that bit. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite willing to believe that Sony looked at their nearest competition and copied it (as I'm sure Nintendo has done so). The fact remains, when it comes to analog joysticks in video games/consoles. It's been done before.

Teasy said:
Well that's all I said so...

Then why did you ask earlier? Honest question. Were you simply trying to lead us into a discussion?

Like I said, it's quite possible heck, in fact I'd say Sony looked at Nintendo. They probably looked elsewhere as well. But that does NOT mean BECAUSE of Nintendo Sony did so as well - unless of course you have a copy of the memo sent down to engineering. ;)

Do you think Nintendo looks elsewhere to copy/refine ideas from?

It was a rhetorical question. I was just giving Fox5 a pretty obvious example (and it is obvious AFAICS) of Nintendo doing something and its competitor following suit. Since he was suggesting that never happens.

BTW yeah I'm sure Nintendo get loads of their ideas from elsewhere. I'm sure their direct competitors even influence their designs at times. To be clear my comment was never supposed to be about Nintendo vs Sony. Sony just happened to be part of that particular example.

BTW what's a Vectrex? I've seriously never heard of it :)

You're probably too young to remember (or it never made it across the pond).

http://www.roachnest.com/vectrex.html

It was a "portable" console that accepted carts (it's portable because the screen was built-in like the first Apple Macintoshs). It was a vector based rasterizer (like Asteroids, the old Battlezone, Red Baron, etc). Because these tend to be monochromatic, you'd place these plastic overlays over the screen to give areas of the screen (static/non-moving) color.

It had 2 joystick ports and each joystick (more like a wide joy pad actually) was analog and there were 4 buttons.

It's funny, some guys have even captured the data from old carts and reburned them onto newer carts - but these newer carts hold like 75 games. Too bad they lack the overlays though, that is what makes the game. :)

Uh, how do you know for a fact the directional controller for the Vectrex was actually analog? Did any of the Vectrex games support analogy control? If yes which one?

The fact is Sony changed their controllers to add the analog stick because of Nintendo putting an analog stick on the N64 pad.

I find this absurdly amusing... :) If the Dual Shock had been release because of the N64, why did Sony wait 2 years to do it, rather than release it with the launch of Gran Turismo?

PC-Engine said:
Uh, how do you know for a fact the directional controller for the Vectrex was actually analog? Did any of the Vectrex games support analogy control? If yes which one?

http://www.playvectrex.com/shoptalk/vecjoyrepair/vecjoyrepair_f.htm

Talks about poteniometers in the joystick. Those are used for measuring small changes.

http://www.classicgaming.com/vectrex/po_digital-analog.htm

Most Vectrex games do not take advantage of the analog capability of the Vectrex Controller.

A. Most Vectrex games are programmed to give an all-or-nothing joystick response during gameplay...This means that you have to push the analog joystick knob so far to get a response...a digital response to your action...

3. The games which do use the variable capability of the original analog controller are few in number.

A. Analog means that you push the stick a little bit, the Vectrex console responds a little bit. You push alot and the console responds alot. Currently there are only three games that use this capability: Version 2 of Star Hawk, Hyperchase and Moon Lander. The former two are dogs, the third is brilliant!

And even if there wasn't a game that used this ability, the joystick would still be analog. I.e. it doesn't really matter or not if any game used analog controls.

archie4oz said:

I find this absurdly amusing... :) If the Dual Shock had been release because of the N64, why did Sony wait 2 years to do it, rather than release it with the launch of Gran Turismo?

Maybe it had to prove itself as a viable control method first, or maybe Sony wasn't sure how to integrate it into their controllers.

Fox5 said:
or maybe Sony wasn't sure how to integrate it into their controllers.

Well it's not really that hard to reverse engineer a joypad though. You simply unscrew it. ;)

Ty said:
Fox5 said:
or maybe Sony wasn't sure how to integrate it into their controllers.

Well it's not really that hard to reverse engineer a joypad though. You simply unscrew it. ;)

But the dual shock bares little in common with a n64 controller other than that it has analog controls and rumble. I meant maybe sony wasn't sure if they should do 1 stick or two, placement of joysticks, how the joysticks should be made, would they integrate well into all games, etc. Maybe they even considered completely redesigning the control pad before settling on the dual shock.

I find this absurdly amusing... If the Dual Shock had been release because of the N64, why did Sony wait 2 years to do it, rather than release it with the launch of Gran Turismo?

Don't know why it took Sony quite so long to release Dual Shock in the US. Maybe they held its release back a bit so they could release it with one of their own top analog based games (Gran Turismo). In Japan they released the Dual Shock just over a year after the N64.

Look, Nintendo brought out a pad with a stick and rumble function. One year later Sony change their pad to add sticks and rumble function. Yet you think that had nothing to do with the N64 pad? Now that's absurd.

Don't know why it took Sony quite so long to release Dual Shock in the US. Maybe they held its release back a bit so they could release it with one of their own top analog based games (Gran Turismo). In Japan they released the Dual Shock just over a year after the N64.

The "Dual Shock" was released 2 years after the N64 launch (both in Japan and the US). You're confusing the Dual Shock, with the Dual Analog Pad (similar to Dual Shock but larger with different analog contollers).

The Dual Analog Pad was unveiled around 4 months after the Japanese N64 launch, and we actually had them months before the N64 Japanese launch because we were developing support for them into Bushido Blade and Tobal #2...

The Dual Analog Pad was also meant as a smaller, more cost-effective substitute for Sony's Dual Analog Flightsticks (made for games like Mechwarrior 2, Ace Combat 2, etc..). Also the system was designed from the get-go to support rumble feedback as the controller ports were designed to provide the necessary power for it (whereas the N64's was a battery powered add-in (after the DAP was released BTW)), although strangely the US DAP didn't have rumble...

How the hell did a thread about the Omap 3D development system get hijacked for damned game controller discussion?

Simon F said:
How the hell did a thread about the Omap 3D development system get hijacked for damned game controller discussion?

if you look at the topics in handheld 3d, it starting to look like this is in fact handheld games industry forum, which again means whole bunch of guys from consoles forum... and the result can be seen here.

not that I would exactly be angry after so many of my handheld 3d based threads turn out to be just plain bashing few years ago and never receiving any apologies after being proven to be right later on. But still it's sad to see this still happening.

I could have done same thing that kristof used to do when something about Bitboys was shown (trying to hijack the thread with competitors' material.) but I decided not to go that low.

I'll remove my remarks on old stuff right away.

I don't see any particular reason to remove anything from your past feedback Nappe; most of us are somewhat guilty of getting a thread off topic.

In the majority of cases, apart from a bunch of lucky guesses and some weird research methodoly it's damn hard to get answers to most of my PDA/mobile questions and that irrelevant if it's you specifically or anyone else. Perfectly understandable, since way too much valuable information is classified.

If I'd ask what this one is about, do you think I'll get an answer?

samsung.jpg

*runs away to avoid lynching* :oops:

Back