uber-Troll!
Legend
I felt the CDTV was the coolest looking PC of the time. Compare
CDTV%2B-%2B5.%2BAmiga%2Bvideo.jpg

with

maxresdefault.jpg

or

hqdefault.jpg

That's cool. Japan only (which is why I'd never seen it before). No good for a console design either - too big. And it doesn't have a display on the front.

Edit: well this post makes no sense now the new thread's been spawned. ;) The topic was about Scorpio console design options and on-case displays.

Last edited:
FM Towns was hotter

0029_01_l.jpg
Quite beautiful. A guy who is into retro gaming that I know, has one, but he never showed it to camera, what I loved about it was the MIDI sound coming from it.
That's cool. Japan only (which is why I'd never seen it before). No good for a console design either - too big. And it doesn't have a display on the front.

Edit: well this post makes no sense now the new thread's been spawned. ;) The topic was about Scorpio console design options and on-case displays.
if that's the root of this thread I wonder if you unconsciously are making a case for Scorpio being a PC like machine, because that looks very much like a bit more well designed PC.

The second PC reminds of the 286-386-486 machines which indicated on screen the MHz at which that CPU was running.

if that's the root of this thread I wonder if you unconsciously are making a case for Scorpio being a PC like machine.
The suggestion is Scorpio looking like a bit of AV tech rather than a games machine. PC functionality would be great for users but suicide for MS's financials, as discussed elsewhere.

but as an Amiga fan
Q: How many Amiga users does it take to change a light bulb ?

A: The light bulb doesnt need changing , the light bulb is perfectly fine and anyway theres a new light bulb thats much better than windows
and it will be out sometime this year or sometime next year or sometime the year after ect, ect, ect.

You can argue about PC being more powerful and better at 3D games, but Windows was crap next to AmigaDOS and Workbench for a long time. The light-bulb was better than windows, even when the hoped-for new light-bulb never released. I can remember running 20+ apps as a stress test on an Amiga A500, all multitasking, bringing the machine to its knees (although music playback never dropped a beat with all that going on) and couldn't crash the thing.

(This thread is doomed)

ok to even the score

Q: How many Windows users does it take to change a light bulb ?
A: None, microsoft just declares darkness the standard

Q: How many Mac users does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: Just one, but the bulb has to be purchased directly from Apple, only screws in one way, lights up 80% of the time, and is PERFECTLY ENGINEERED.

Last edited:
ok to even the score

Q: How many Windows users does it take to change a light bulb ?

A: None, microsoft just declares darkness the standard

To expand the joke to more eco-systems:

Q: How many _ users does it take to change a light bulb?

Apple: None, they're holding the light wrong.
Nintendo: None, they're looking at it wrong.
nVidia: None, they wait for newer firmware and drivers to catch the video card on fire.

FM Towns was hotter

0029_01_l.jpg

Also one of the best things about that generation of PCs that were Japan only. Almost everything was modular and replaceable without opening up the machine. HDD, graphics cards, sound cards, etc. could all just be slid out of the machine and a replacement slotted in without opening the case.

The downside and why they failed to prevent IBM PC-XT clones from taking over is that often they'd have proprietary connectors (wiring was the same, but pinouts were changed to prevent use on competitors machines) for things like the display as well as not having software interoperability between Japanese PC manufacturer's. They attempted to correct this later by adopting Windows, but by that time it was more cost effective for them to stop designing most things in house and to use general PC hardware like western OEMs and thus the wonderfully designed user friendly PC designs there died.

Regards,
SB

That seems designed by Ikea. It has floppys left and right. Could the CPU keep up with loading 2 floppy disks at the same time?
You wouldn't necessarily load from two sources at the same time. Amiga supported up to 4 floppy drives. For some games you really wanted to avoid disk swapping by having the disks all accessible.

remember this
ZuEgsV9.jpg

A friend had one like this, but not sure if it were a regular "desktop" case instead.
The 6x CD-ROM drive was impressive.
It was the hottest PC ever, because there was an Intel P75 with no heatsink in there. That didn't put much heat into the PC, but the CPU was burning hot to the touch. I don't know if the OEM did that or whether there was another reason. Since them my hobby is to touch heatsinks and stuff : I can figure out stuff at 60°C and stuff at 80°C. At 100°C there's a nice smell of hot.

A friend had one like this, but not sure if it were a regular "desktop" case instead.
The 6x CD-ROM drive was impressive.
It was the hottest PC ever, because there was an Intel P75 with no heatsink in there. That didn't put much heat into the PC, but the CPU was burning hot to the touch. I don't know if the OEM did that or whether there was another reason. Since them my hobby is to touch heatsinks and stuff : I can figure out stuff at 60°C and stuff at 80°C. At 100°C there's a nice smell of hot.
:LOL::mrgreen:juasjuasjuas, how could that happen? Did the CPU survive for more than one day?

6X CDs then had to be killer... My third PC, from 2002 had a 8X DVD drive and it was like...impressive

Last edited:
Back