Old Skool Console2Computer

Tahir2

Veteran
Supporter
I just had a rather far-fetched idea but the more I think about it the more it seems to make sense.

Firstly anyone remember the Atari 520ST and the Amiga 500? These were general computers that were really built for gaming in mind. They never challenged the PC's at that time for the kind of non-gaming applications you cold run (even though the ST did have some pretty cool MIDI interfaces). They were basically pretty powerful machines for their time and had a keyboard stuck to them with a mouse coming separately.

Well why don't either Microsoft or Sony do something similar (I cannot imagine Nintendo doing it but perhaps they should consider it too).

Design a console with keyboard in mind and also an oppurtunity for non-gaming applications to run and be user-configurable. The XBOX as it is now already has a hard drive inclusive of its design and could quite easily run for example a Paint program. You could hook your digital camera to it via a standard port (USB2 or Firewire) mess around with your pictures and print them off on some standard port (USB/USB2).

I think these new consoles are wonderfully powerful (a PIII compared to a 68000 is like comparing a Wrights brother bi-wing to an F-16) but only used for gaming or whereever the proprietory format wants their console to be targetted. A more open market could see consoles used in the home for a variety of tasks (some of which would be unimaginable to the big guns who designed/marketed the machines). This could finally break the Wintel dominance in the PC market also.

I have been hearing so much rhetoric from Sony maybe it is time to look back and simplify the process for the end-user and the guys making freeware/shareware products. I mean this would be a revolution in the Console market...and could potentially make the Console makers tons of money in other markets too.

The infastructure is already in place, Linux, the hardware is in place even in this generation of consoles. I think all we need is a company with big enough balls to take on MS, Intel et al head on and do something Apple has been dreaming off. In fact all the Console manufactures really got to do is make sure they have a steady supply of great games and people will do the rest for them.

Just a thought.

For PS2, you can get the PS2 Linux kit.

For Xbox, I think there is already a winner to that $100,000 Linux comp.

the amiga was used a lot for video editing, multimedia (beforce this word became hyped), also faster amigas were used for modeling/rendering

the atari was professionnaly used for MIDI.

If I recalculate to EUROS , i paid (my father actually :D ) 650 euro for the amiga500 + another 400 for the monitor .
that would equal to a 1000EURO machine NOW (inflation etc..)(without monitor)

the thing was, that the Amiga had a really big difference in GFX and AUDIO specs compared to a XT, 286 in the TIME (blitter, s4 channel sound, hardware srolling etc..)

so if for example SONY could release a PS3 HOME SERVER with a few TERAS :p people can amuse themselfes with realtime 3d rendering and I know what ....

V3 said:
For PS2, you can get the PS2 Linux kit.

For Xbox, I think there is already a winner to that $100,000 Linux comp.

There's a new patch that disables the Linux software on Xbox... It installs without permission too...

That would be great if the industry took that turn again. I loved my atari st, amiga and c64..They are really the best homecomputers ever..

And these days when most non gaming computer tasks can done by yesterdays technology there is no reason to have upgradable pc anymore.

Tahir said:
Well why don't either Microsoft or Sony do something similar (I cannot imagine Nintendo doing it but perhaps they should consider it too).

Design a console with keyboard in mind and also an oppurtunity for non-gaming applications to run and be user-configurable. The XBOX as it is now already has a hard drive inclusive of its design...

I think all we need is a company with big enough balls to take on MS, Intel et al head on and do something Apple has been dreaming off

And why in the world would Microsoft do that to themselves?

Back