Ok where the heck are the GeforceFX reviews?

Sabastian

Regular
I am beginning to wonder just what is going on now. I fully expected to see reviews of *some* sort by this point in time.(Even a shallow preview would be interesting really.) The silence is really making me wonder if something else has gone horribly wrong with this new chip. That is just me though but the red flag is up and if we don't see *something* soon I think these suspicions will carry truth. I just want to see some real reviews tired of waiting for the bloody thing really. It has been a long wait. :!: :? I am thinking late February maybe even early march before volume shipments begin. Before I thought that they may have some available in January but with the lack of hype via reviews for the final shipping product well...... it just makes you wonder. In fact the silence coming from Nvidia with regards to the card is deafening.

Nothing is horribly wrong, but NVIDIA will play this out until the eleventh hour in the hopes of keeping fringe customers away from the ever-tempting ATI lineup.

Put a gun to my head and I'll guess nVidia knows what they are doing. They're probably doing some last minute fine tuning of the drivers. The part will shine in some titles with high IQ settings compared to the R9700 but in others will not look very exciting. nVidia probably wants/needs a flawless debut with a carefully calculated "splash" across all the normal outlets that will carry news of its latest cards release and benches. A carefully crafted initial perception is needed.

Lol. Ok, the gun is away from my head now so all I can say is I haven't a clue ..... but I'm enjoying all the speculation and anticipation going on. "I love the smell of new hardware in the morning". :)

The anticipation is agonizing to me. It has been a long time that is all. Every freaking day ...sniffing around and stuff is really getting tiring that is all. And yes it is likely that there is absolutely nothing "horribly wrong" with the card and it is likely they are doing driver refinements but I don't give a dam. I just want to see the bloody card in action.

When it follows in one interested party of Taiwan manufacture company, the NVIDIA GeForce FX it will dance the maximum quickly it wants time, but is a place where the manufacture partner company field mass produces the product with the fact that the time will be caught, and quite or it is forecasting reasoning it is caused by and having the possession of problem to hour initial product supply and form which it will dance is judging. It does so and with the thing and the sameness where the ATI the Sapphire 社 by the whole quantity produces the amount of material of initially Radeon 9700 pro, as the whole quantity producing the initially GeForce FX amount of material 1 whole house from one enterprise does. The NVIDIA is asking an intention hereupon in the multi manufacture partner company, currently the P of United States 社 is discussed with the candidacy which is most powerful in GeForce FX initial amount of material production

Translated from Darkcrow..sounds like Nvidia is looking for a multi manufacture supplier to make the FX...whatever 'P' is :LOL:

Man I hate translators

I really have to laugh when I think back on all the comments of "just wait for the nv30 it's right around the corner" when the 9700 was released. Man am I glad I didn't follow that advice.

Doomtrooper said:
Translated from Darkcrow..sounds like Nvidia is looking for a multi manufacture supplier to make the FX...whatever 'P' is :LOL:

Man I hate translators

Jeez... how did you make any sense out of that translation? I read it three times, and thought it was saying something different each time, so I gave up. It might as well still be in the original language... would make about as much sense to me. :)

790 said:
Nothing is horribly wrong, but NVIDIA will play this out until the eleventh hour in the hopes of keeping fringe customers away from the ever-tempting ATI lineup.

I don't know if "horribly" is the word I'd use, but the chip is months behind schedule, so something is definitely wrong. If another 60-90 days elapses and no GF FX--I will then think "horribly wrong" is apt...;)

I'm wondering if nVidia will ship it blind--that is, not drop the NDAs or allow reviews (can't really stop them if this is a good guess) until the day the first OEM starts actively shipping them. I recall nVidia doing this once before with a product--but memory is too hazy to recall exactly which one at the moment.

At any rate, I still think chances are excellent we'll see the first reviews 4-6 weeks before the product is available in any kind of quantity, regardless what nVidia says about its availability when the first reviews hit. That's generally the way nVidia does it, right?

Since they are going to have to do some mean bin splitting to siphon off the 500MHz-capable chips (even with monster fans), it might be awhile before the first bad-boys show up. I'm thinking nVidia's going to want enough of those for at least 5,000 units right off--no telling how long a period (or short) that might take.

Do you think purchasers of the first batch will get "The Hunt for nv30 February" naval caps along with the Silent Running(TM) products? I think nVidia's new naval terminology is kewl. If we hear one do ya' think we can torpedo it?

Bigus Dickus said:
Doomtrooper said:

Man I hate translators

Jeez... how did you make any sense out of that translation? I read it three times, and thought it was saying something different each time, so I gave up. It might as well still be in the original language... would make about as much sense to me. :)

Usually a couple of beers helps decipher it :rolleyes: :LOL:

jjayb said:
I really have to laugh when I think back on all the comments of "just wait for the nv30 it's right around the corner" when the 9700 was released. Man am I glad I didn't follow that advice.
Yeah me too, if I took that advice I'd be missing out on all the great DX9 games out today.

If past launches are anything to go by, then we should see the products in customers hands about a month after reviews. Seeing that there have been no reviews posted yet, my guess is that we see the boards on shelves late Feb. Late April at the latest. Infact, Anand mentioned in his latest CPU/GPU price guide, he expects the FX boards to hit the shelves late Q1 03.

Some people may believe that review samples have already been sent out to major sites, and the reviewers are waiting for the NDA to expire. If so, we will probably see the boards early Feb. Imo, I don't believe this is the case, if boards were actually in reviewers hands, then it would be in Nv's best interest to get the reviews online ASAP.

I sure hope the the wait will be worth it.

That sounds exciting but my Ti4600 is doing the job well enough to wait a bit. Certainly not going to spend all that money on a 9700 when by the time DX9 came out, it's successor was almost out...seems a bit silly.

When the GeForce FX gets a 256-bit bus, I'll take a look at the fastest card out and get it then. It may be ATI, it may be Nvidia, we never know. :)

Glonk said:
That sounds exciting but my Ti4600 is doing the job well enough to wait a bit.
Sounds reasonable. Ti4600 is more than capable for todays games.
Certainly not going to spend all that money on a 9700 when by the time DX9 came out, it's successor was almost out...seems a bit silly.
Most people don't buy a 9700 for DX9, they buy it for the performance. I think its safe to say that most 9700 users didn't upgrade from a Ti4600 either. So, in your case, its understandable why you would not consider a 9700. But what about people with GF2's and the like? Back in September, getting a 9700 was a good purchase for people like that, wouldn't you agree?

I can't remember the thread.. but it was already speculated on this site that the NV30 wouldn't appear on shelves until March/April. Seems most likely now.

And all i can figure out from Doom's translation post is that there is a whole lot of dancing goin on.. but maybe i have had too much alcohol. :D

And need i make a 3dfx reference here ? Nah.. Well.. uh.. Maybe we all got the last card from 3dfx wrong.. maybe it wasn't the Rampage.. but the Revenge ? ;)

Back in September, getting a 9700 was a good purchase for people like that, wouldn't you agree?
I suppose so.

Are ATI's drivers generally much better these days?

I thought they finally got their act together a while ago and upgraded my TNT2 Ultra to a Radeon 64MB VIVO, and it was a huge headache for me.

A question in answer to the subject header :

Since we have the R300, what are you expecting from the GeForceFX?

My answer to my own question would be "Not much more."

To all those that said that the NV30 was just around the corner when the R9700 was launched and managed to hold off until now:

The R400 is just around the corner, and the R350 is even closer. Why don't you just wait a few more months?

With regards and surprisingly inobvious irony

Kjetil

My answer to my own question would be "Not much more."

I agree, at least not when it comes to FSAA/Aniso raw performance.

I definitely don't think that there will be any R9700 owners who will feel an urgent desire to upgrade, that's for sure.

My Gf4 still works just fine though so i'm going to wait for the R350 or possibly the NV35(40?) - R400 before i upgrade. Depends on when Doom3 comes out and how well it'll run on the GF4.

I think people who havent upgraded yet are wise to wait a bit now, just for pricing drops alone. Those who bought well before christmas may find the 9700pro to be to DX9 like the Gf3 was in its time to Dx8. An expensive inital purchase taking 4-6 months to mature but with around 2+ years staying power.

I am aware of several gamers who love playing MOH:AA at smooth fps at 1280x1024, 4xAA and 16xAF with their 9700pro - something they couldnt do with their Gf4Ti4600.

Personnally if I had a Gf4 I wouldnt have rushed to get a 9700pro either, but the improvment over my 8500 is immense.

Price wise though the GfFX will drop because its looking like it will retail a £150 more than a 9700Pro at the moment which will surely play into ATI's hands.

Back