oh my god... (not about anything sexual for a change)

Sage

13 short of a dozen
Regular
Okay, so I've been working 11-12 hours a day this week. I'm really stressed and such. So, I figure I should take the opportunity to relax and enjoy myself. What do I enojy most? Driving my car on freeways. So, I'm cruising down 75, hit 30, then 35, 183, then 114. Well, when I'm on 114 (in Irving at this point) I remember that Hidden Ridge is comming up. I really like driving Hidden Ridge, especially because it's very curvy, 6-lanes wide, and usually noone on it. I used to do parts of it as high as 60 in my Accord. So, I take the exit and am behind an Audi 1.8T when I'm at the stoplight to take a left and go over 114 where there's another stoplight and then it's free until MacArthur. I'm like "hmm, I should kick his ass... :D" but then I notice that he keeps leaning over and looks like he's talking to the bottom of the passenger seat. So, I figure he has a baby in it and I'm not about to do anything like racing near a car with a baby in it, much less encourage the guy to race me. Meanwhile, a 350z convertible pulls up with us. So, the light turns green, we all turn, the Audi with the baby goes off somewhere, I think he made a u-turn and whent back down 114.

So, it's me on the right, the 350z on my left, and a BMW 3er pulls up next to him. I look at the 350z kinda hoping that he will race, kinda hoping that he wont (because I'd get my ass kicked). Now, I'm not entirely sure what he's thinking... maybe "haha let me give these luxury sedans a spanking" or what. But, it looks like he's getting ready to take off fast. Now, I just cant let him win without a fight. Besides, he probably thinks I'm a 230 (4-cyl turbo) or maybe even a 240 (2.4l V6, very slow). I think that a lot of people mistake me for a 230, then they regret it. So, I figure I shuld at least explain to him the difference.

Light turns green, I take off. I hit my redline really fast in 1st, shift to 2nd. He realizes that it's not going to be so easy and start to gain on me. Redline almost instantly again, then to 3rd. By the time I'm shifting into 4th he's a fair bit behind me, partly because I had the inside of the initial curve. Then, the next curve is and S and it's comming up fast and I realize that I need some more space so I check and he's quite a bit behind me and in the far light lane, the BMW has disappeared. The Z is managing to keep pace, but not closing the gap. In the S-curve I'm hitting 90 but realize that I'm really pushing my limits as I feel those back tires moving in an axis that is not desired. I dont know if he gave up, got scared, or realized that I was about to kill myself. So, he gives up and I am happy that I won, even though I figure he doesnt know how to drive his car or just wasnt trying.

So, I head down MacArthur to 183, thinking about how incredibly close to death I was. I get to 183 and see an Office Depot and decide to duck in (going to Officemax was my whole excuse for going out but i couldnt find one). I grab what I was needing and head back out, hop onto 183 to head back home, still feeling happy because I actually managed to live and have a greater appreciation of life.

Just before 183 merges with 35 I see a traffic jam. That's normal at about 5-6pm but not at 8. As I get closer, I realize that emergency vehicles are rushing up to wha must the the source of the problem. The jam isnt really that bad and I get through it pretty fast. I see the car on my left-hand side, it looked like it had sput around several times and one of the rear wheels was all messed up. Then, I see the other side and the other rear wheel is missing and I'm going "ouch, that's gonna suck! that guy had some nice rims on it, I bet he lvoed that car..." but then I see the truck. A little pickup truck on its side on the right-hand side of the road. It apparently flipped a few times. i dont know if any of the occupants were hurt but from looking at the people around it I'd say not.

I realize that those people were probably going 60-70 when they collided into each other, the speed at which they collided was probably less than 5mph. What would have happened to me if I had flown off the road at 90mph. I know what would have happened, I'd be squashed. There are tree's and lightposts all over it, i would have definitely hit one or two. At 90mph.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.878586,-96.952588&spn=0.012024,0.019656&hl=en

I started slipping right after green park dr.

I am NEVER doing anything like that again. EVER. I realized when I started to feel those back tires go that I was the stupidest motherfucker alive at that moment.

Oh, and _xxx_ please tell the guys that program the ESP system thatnks for saving my life. I have no doubt that without it Darwin would have been singing my name. I KNOW that I would have died had it not been there. If it werent for those great bastards I wouldnt by typing this right now. Of this, I am positive. I was litterally inches away from death and ESP probably gave me several feet. I owe all my life to ESP.

Hello Sage. I am glad no harm came to you or the other cars you raced (hopefully). I am also glad that you realize what you did was very foolish and seems like it was on a whim. I do not want to insult or belittle you in any way so I hope I do not come off that way. It is obvious that you showed some kind of clear judgement the day this happened by not racinf the guy in the Audi who may have had a kid in the backseat. That shows me you made the conscious decision to risk your own life, and the other drivers in the cars you raced. You probably didn't think of this at the time but I hope that the accident you passed shortly after makes you think about doing something like this again in the future.

You really love your car and it shows. The fact that you took your car to its limits tells me and probably a few others here also a few things. One of those being that your driving skills need to be improved if you really wish to race like that again in the future. It should never get to the point where you take your car to such an extreme on an open road where you and others can get injured and killed for what seems like a few minutes or seconds of fun. It is pointless.

Go to a closed course that offers competitive driving classes from actual professionals. You would be surprised by how much your driving skills improve after just a few sessions. It also helps you in learning your car's limits and your own. I always run into people who street race and think they can handle their car because they take it to the extreme all the time. When people say this it is time to laugh. On a closed course the risks are still there, but those risks are a lot more controlled and not as great. The way you learn a closed course after repeated laps will not necessarily make it boring. You can keep improving your skill at racing after each lap. Plus there are so many tracks to choose from it's not even funny.

If you like driving so much then you should get to a track, not a quarter mile. The reasons are all positive. it will cost you money but the experience and skills you learn while doing it are more valuable than what you pay. It will also help you judge what races on the highway, freeway or street are less of a risk than others. And it will also help you to prevent sticky situations where ESP HAS to save your life.

i dont plan on ever doing anything like that again. i learned my damned lesson.

I was driving my midnight blue '96 VW Polo 1.6 yesterday and stopped at the red lights.
When the lights turned to green and I was preparing to leave, I didn't give enough throttle and the engine stopped.
It was the rush hour and the two cars behind me started becoming noticeably nervous. Luckily I managed to start the engine soon enough and all four cars made it before the lights turned to red again.
Phew, I took a bus to work today and I'll let my bf do the driving for a few days now (I just hope he didn't slip the clutch as it's not too long we got it fixed).

Sory sage ;) not meaning to ridicule your experience, as that must have been seriously scary. Glad you didn't harm yourself or others.

jvd said:
if your going to race go to a race track . Or a farm . Either or

well i dont think there are even any race tracks around here. i've never heard of them. didnt even know they were available for the average guy until Digi was looking for one for his wifey and her 350z.

Sage said:
Oh, and _xxx_ please tell the guys that program the ESP system thatnks for saving my life.

Heh, it's a troop of 150+ people, I wouldn't know who it was...

I had it quite a few times myself. Nothing wrong about the car starting to lose grip as long as it's controlled. Listen to Sonic and take some classes, than you'll be able to do some drifting without getting into serious danger.

Even better, don't do it again. You were lucky, might not go as well next time.

I've had my share of near-fatal accidents, most of them by random chance. For example, I've *twice* had a ripped tire on the highway, one of them with my own car, the other with the car of someone else I only borrowed that one time. I think everyone should have to learn how to actually drive a car, instead of only learning to respect the rules.

Driving fast is easy, anyone can do that. It's panicking, pushing the brakes hard and jerking the steering wheel that gets people killed in general. Strangely enough: the safer the car, the more accidents happen with it. And when things like ESP help you out all the time, it is the end of the line when it fails to do so at last.

I got myself an Impreza (just the cheap model), and it really kept a tight grip on the road at all times. So, when I went to work with it, I drove pretty fast, cornered at 80 km/h, etc. It had rained a tiny bit, but no problem. So, I come off the highway ramp, and take the first road to the right at a fair clip. And lose all contact with the road. WTF! SHIT!

After I got the car stopped and checked that the only damage was some scratches on one wheelcap, I still didn't understand. Sure, tight corner, a bit moist, 80 km/h, but I had done that during the weekend without problem. And then I notice a truck a bit further, with people around it with pressure hoses.

"Ah, yes we're cleaning up an oil leak. Did it get to the other end of the road as well?"

Needless to say, it was quite some getting used to the next car, even while that was an BMW.

Anyway, normally I drive very regular, keep myself to the speed limit etc, but I think everyone should know how to handle their car in case of an emergency.

I'm thinking this whole love for your big fast car is to compensate something else.

But this is a feelgood thread so ignore me.

_xxx_ said:
london-boy said:
I'm thinking this whole love for your big fast car is to compensate something else.

Not big. Just fast.

Oh. So it's a small fast car to compensate something that's not small and fast...? Interesting.

DiGuru said:
when things like ESP help you out all the time, it is the end of the line when it fails to do so at last.

yeah, i dont make a habbit of using ESP. Whenever it kicks in even for a split second (usually no longer) I think back about what I did and what I did wrong. I don't use it as a crutch, I use it as something to tell me when I'm being stupid so that I don't do it again :p

london-boy said:
Oh. So it's a small fast car to compensate something that's not small and fast...? Interesting.

actually it is small and fast, that's the problem.

I do want a Unimog though :p

london-boy said:
_xxx_ said:
london-boy said:

Not big. Just fast.

Doesn't matter if it's big or small, the handling/dynamics is what's important. I thought you should know that... :devilish:

Sage said:
well i dont think there are even any race tracks around here. i've never heard of them. didnt even know they were available for the average guy until Digi was looking for one for his wifey and her 350z.
I just thought I'd point out that I am by no means an "average guy".

Back