Oh Goodie - Google Maps UK

worm[Futuremark said:
]
london-boy said:
Me wants the satellite piccies innit
Did Google remove the satellite pics from the US GoogleMaps? At least when I look at them, they look as dull as these UK ones.

Can't you click on the "satellite view" link?

You need to use the .com address for the US satellite one.

london-boy said:
worm[Futuremark said:
]
london-boy said:
Me wants the satellite piccies innit
Did Google remove the satellite pics from the US GoogleMaps? At least when I look at them, they look as dull as these UK ones.

Can't you click on the "satellite view" link?

You need to use the .com address for the US satellite one.
Oh, ok thanks! Last time I checked the Google Maps it used the satellite as the default view.

Simon F said:
Druga Runda said:
It was about time :D

http://maps.google.co.uk/

no satellite maps yet though...
In that case, you're probably better off with www.streetmap.co.uk

IMO at the moment, Google maps more precise (but that point is moot, at least around the area where I live), but most definitely easier to read, faster, easier to print and better zoom in/out capability... no ads, and other nuissance

Teh Google maps are a pretty impressive bit of DHTML, they put streetmap/multimap to shame. The good thing about streetmap/multimap is that they do have the full Ordnance Survey 1:50k map set though, which knocks all other maps for six as far as I'm concerned.

There's a rather neat piece of software available called Memory Map that allows you to load the OS 1:50k, 1:25k maps, aerial photography and other maps onto your PC, and use them to plan routes, etc. It even has a component that installs on a PDA, so on my GPS-enabled PocketPC I can have about 1/4 of the country in 1:50k OS maps installed at any one time. Deeply cool. Only problem is that is costs £££'s.

nutball said:
Teh Google maps are a pretty impressive bit of DHTML, they put streetmap/multimap to shame.

That's the main reason I love using it. The DHTML is so amazing. I know how to do it, but to see the finished product is still awe inspiring. :)

That default view is damn worth studying for all you yanks damnit. Get an idea of how tiny our island is, where our major cities are etc. It's my opinion that the average US citizens international geography is horrible!

Back