Oh dear, new MOBO problems

almighty

Banned
Just brought a Foxxcon 6100K8MA-RS mobo to replace the even crappier mobo that im already useing.

I installed it and plugged all my HDD's and components in... etc... etc... and for some reason it would'nt detect my X1650 PRO and disable its onboard graphics chip.

Having read though a few forums looking for an answear it seemed that to get it get cured all it needed was a simple bios update.

So i installed foxxcons "super update" utitlity and found the newest bios and flashed it, only it crashed ( :( ) during flashing, i left my computer on for 6 hours to see if it would cure itself but nothing, it was as dead as a door nail.

So what i want to know is, is the mobo now junk? as it no longer loads up ( it only powers on ) or is there a way to fix it??

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried clearing the CMOS or using the flash recovery method or even hot-flashing it? Most motherboards provide for a means of blind bios flashing -- insert a floppy with the bios on it and hit F2 during boot to trigger bios flash recovery. It's different for each motherboard maker, but there should be some means of recovering.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS or using the flash recovery method or even hot-flashing it? Most motherboards provide for a means of blind bios flashing -- insert a floppy with the bios on it and hit F2 during boot to trigger bios flash recovery. It's different for each motherboard maker, but there should be some means of recovering.

Not tried flash recovery, not sure how to even do it :(

You should read your mobo manual to find out if it has any kind of double BIOS feature.

next time it will be better to flash from DOS. it seems I'm right not to trust flashing from windows, running a crappy utility while there's the OS and stuff in the background doesn't feel very safe.

Yeah best to update bios from DOS or from flash utility at boot-up if the mobo has that. Especially if the OS install is not new for the specific new motherboard. For the rest consult the motherboard manual first.

next time it will be better to flash from DOS. it seems I'm right not to trust flashing from windows, running a crappy utility while there's the OS and stuff in the background doesn't feel very safe.

You do know DOS is an OS right? :p

when run with no driver at all, no disk caching, no memory manager, nothing at all, disk I/O taken care of by the BIOS, it's pretty barebones.

So I just bought an ASUS Striker Extreme (£180) and my mate bought a ASUS P5N32 SLI (£130). He managed to flash his BIOS with an update, which worked fine, but then he added a custom boot logo. His computer froze on this screen. Couldnt get it to POST, couldnt get into BIOS. Clearing CMOS did nothing. Taking out CMOS battery for an hour did nothing. His motherboard was fried.

Then we came up with a plan. We could use my computer to reflash his BIOS chip!

Turned off his machine, took out his BIOS chip with a fork. While my machine was turned off we took out my chip, and then put it back, but not all the way in, so we could grab it with our fingers. We put a flashing program on a USB stick. Turned my machine on, got into DOS, got into the flashing program. While my machine was still powered up, we took out my BIOS chip, and pushed his in. We got the flashing program to find the new BIOS, and clicked APPLY.

*NOT THE RIGHT BIOS CHIP FOR THIS BOARD*

Bah! But looking closely at the flashing program site, you would FORCE it to flash no matter what. So we added /f to the command and tried again. It found the chip, and flashed it. Everything looked good. We shut the machine off at that point (no reboot). Put my chip back in, all my settings still there, computer is still running perfectly. Put his chip back in his motherboard, settings wiped but booted, posted, into Windows. Not had any problems so far.

Ok, we could have lost two machines worth £3000, but it worked. If you have another computer, try this. Its not *that* hard when you know it can be done. The scary part was the unknown. Good "fun" though.

Back