Official HardOCP HL2 benchmarks

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Ruined, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Ruined

Regular

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njky

"This article will not cover te quality of the gameplay experience, as is our usual fare. Instead, today’s preliminary tests are to find out who has the fastest video cards for playing Half Life 2 in apples to apples benchmarks. This will dispel many of the myths being rumored about Half Life 2 performance as we cut to the chase and see who has the fastest Half Life 2 AGP video card."

HardOCP used custom timedemos to simulate normal gameplay.

Benchies:
    6800U and x800xtpe trade blows depending on map (6800U does better on canals, x800xtpe does better on coast)
    6800GT beats x800pro across the board

Conclusion:
    "As for calling one video card a “winnerâ€￾ over the other, it just does not seem feasible and would likely be irresponsible to do so. ATI’s X800 series has not thrashed NVIDIA’s 6800 series silicon as many expected. Half Life 2 simply plays great on video cards from both NVIDIA and ATI. So let’s make this clear. The ATI Radeon X800 series of video cards will deliver a stellar Half Life 2 gaming experience. Also… The NVIDIA GeForce 6800 and 6600 series of video cards will deliver a stellar Half Life 2 gaming experience. There are simply no losers to be found if you have recently upgraded your video card. You have likely all made good gaming investments."

2. russo121

Regular

And check this out:
    http://www.driverheaven.net/articles/Half life 2/

"...As you can see from the results above, ATI are really dominating performance within this game, quite the reverse of the Doom3 situation we had upon release a while ago. Gabe Newell has always stated this game would run faster on ATI hardware primarily due to the higher performance of the ATI shaders in DX9, but this is not to say the nvidia hardware gives a poor showing with even the mid range cards handling this game with relative ease at high resolutions."

Is Mr. Kyle trusty? Before he wasn't.

3. MuFu

MuFu Chief Spastic Baboon
    Veteran

It's worth noting that DH used 4.12b vs 66.93, not 67.02b.

4. Ruined

Regular

Driverheaven ripped their benchmarks straight from the ATI PR slideshow on the inquirer. They are literally the same. HardOCP recorded custom timedemos instead of regurgitating ATI's slides. I doubt they actually did the benchmark. How the hell could you get so close to ATI's slides (literally the same)? You'd have to guess the same exact equipment, etc. I think DH just copy pasted them and put them in their benchmark format.

Look, the numbers are virtually the same
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19707
    http://www.driverheaven.net/articles/Half life 2/

HardOCP also used the latest drivers from both card manufs, when DH "used" older NV drivers in their copy/paste job of the ATI slides. ;)

5. dan2097

Regular

Not really. The most demanding setting where the game is still producing high fps have the XT PE with the lead albeit negligably.

6. dan2097

Regular

The results are inline with pcpops if you take into account that the 4.12s increased performance on the ATI cards.

7. CK

CK
    Newcomer

- Don't think so, but when you use timedemoes supplied by ATI, who do you think will win?

8. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Also [H] appears to have run the benchies with v-sync on which will make it a whole lot more CPU limited.

More realistic from a gamers perspective, but not really testing out the viddy cards max potentials. ;)

9. Ruined

Regular

Stop spreading BS dig:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1026879370&postcount=71

10. digitalwanderer

Legend

Well then, looks like I'll have to do some benching/image comparing then. :)

11. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

The difference is actually pretty slight....and that's really the way it should be. The fact that so many games are so close on both nVidia and ATI is definately the "way it should be". We are not talking the horrid FX series here, which still sucks as per Gabes initial comments. If anything, Carmack should be ashamed of himself for making DoomII so nVidia centric.... :wink:

12. Mariner

Veteran

Yes - that's Ruined's job! :wink: :p

There's nothing really to argue about here is there? Both NV4X and R4X0 provide excellent performance with the high-end cards very close to each other.

I expect the results wouldn't be so much on a par if we were comparing NV3X to R3X0, however!

Good job for NV that Valve released the game over a year later than planned!

13. Moose

Newcomer

I'm sure the incredible physics engine in HL2 is going to put more of a strain on the CPU than the visuals will put on the video proc. and thereby level the field quite a bit.

No surprise that the 30% lead isn't there in actual benchmarks.

I haven't had this much fun stacking boxes since Trespasser!!!

:)

14. digitalwanderer

Legend

Yeah, I know...but it's Ruined and he's bugging me on at least two forums right now so I'm gonna make him monkey-dance around for me a bit. (That and it's sooo fun. ;) )

Hey Ruined, do you know if "r_fastzreject" was set the same on both cards? Being as it is labelled as an "apples to apples" comparison I'm inclined to assume it is, but being a stickler for details and spreading bullshit I thought I'd best check with you first this time. 8)

15. Sxotty

Veteran

I assume that wink means you realize you are making crazy assertions.

16. Moose

Newcomer

Yeah, Why on earth would he use Opengl. That bastard.... :roll:

17. digitalwanderer

Legend

Actually, because he prefers to program in OpenGL and because when he started writing games D3D was a bitch to program in and it wasn't very robust and he's stuck with it since it does what he wants it to.

Really.

18. fallguy

Veteran

I guess you're ok with that in Farcry, though right?

19. Doomtrooper

Veteran

20. Martillo1

Newcomer

It is a pitty that valve dropped OpenGL for HL2. I remember that HL supported it.