official confirmation for BDx6?

did you mean blueray if that the case they never said 6X speed they said 6X the space as dvd, if your talking about something else I don't know what it is

I'm actually more interested in the transfer speed of the blu-ray drive. 1x seems quite slow... so I would hope 2x is the absolute minimum being considered. I'm not expecting more than 4x speed though.

Phil said:
I'm actually more interested in the transfer speed of the blu-ray drive. 1x seems quite slow... so I would hope 2x is the absolute minimum being considered. I'm not expecting more than 4x speed though.

I agree. I do hope it is at least 2x, hopefully 4x. If I remember correctly:

1x = 6.75MB/s

To compare, 12x DVD is almost 16MB/s. Since the HDD slot is standard on the PS3 (no mention of the HDD though!), I surely hope is it 4X also. I can handle some jaggies and the like, but load times kill me. And without a HDD to cache info as a standard feature (maybe it will be added... who knows at this point) a 1x BR would take a long while to load :(

But we would get HD movies out of the box :)

Yep, I remember 54Mbps ~ 6.75MBps as well, but bare in mind, that's the lowest rate you'll get, so the transfer speed on the outside should be faster.

A 2x Blu-Ray drive would actually put it above the 12x DVD drive IMO as the 16MBps is the fastest you'll achieve (outer leads) while the Blu-Ray drive should have a minimum of 13.5MBps available and probably around the same rate on the outer leads.

Also, a big advantage is that through the 6 times increase in storage space, not used space can be maximized for blocks of redundant data which can also speed up transfer rates (seeks are usually quite costly on optical disks).

Phil said:
Also, a big advantage is that through the 6 times increase in storage space, not used space can be maximized for blocks of redundant data which can also speed up transfer rates (seeks are usually quite costly on optical disks).

That is a big plus. I wonder how many games will pony up the extra $ to do that? (i.e. The game fits on a standard DVD, but they instead do a BR disk so the load times are better) As a consumer that would be sweeeeet.

I'm not sure if this is actually correct, but just a little math on the difference between Blu-Ray's "minimum" transfer rate of 6.75MBps opposed to DVDs 12x maximum transfer rate of 16MBps:

If the inner lead starts 2.3 cm from the center and the outer writable layer at 5.5 cm (I've messured it from a CD-ROM), then that means that at a given speed, the outer layer runs at over double the speed.

Can we assume that the transfer rate scales linearly?

Actual math:
2.3cm * 2 * Pi = 14.4513cm (perimeter of inner lead)
5.5cm * 2 * Pi = 34.5575cm (perimeter of outer lead)

This would mean that the outer lead holds 2.39 times more data.

Question: Can we assume that the maximum transfer rate of Blu-Ray on the outer lead is ~16 MBps? Anyone?

PC-Engine said:
Does BR use CAV or CLV?

The data is laid out with constant linear density, but whether the actual disc spins with constant linear or angular velocity depends entirely on the drive, and what mode it's in.

Bump

phat said:
The data is laid out with constant linear density, but whether the actual disc spins with constant linear or angular velocity depends entirely on the drive, and what mode it's in.

So would the estimates be more or less correct if the disc spins with constant linear velocity?

Back