Office Enterprise 2007 compatibility with old Office issue

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
Hey guys,

I just installed Office 2007 and briefly played around with it last night. It looks amazing - not sure that it will be better to actually work with than old Office, but i digress...

I saved a Word 2007 file, and when i tried opening it in my office with Word 2003, it wouldn't work. Word 2003 prompted me to install a "converter" but as i don't have enough privileges at work, i can't actually install it.

What setting do i have to change on Office 2007 to make sure that all documents i create actually work on older versions of Office, if that's even possible? I don't see the point of having a shiny brand new Office application if only 3 people can actually see documents created with it - as the vastest majority will be on older versions of Office for a long long time.

Thanks!

PS: And PLEASE do NOT come in here to tell me to boicott MS and use free downloadable office applications which "are much better than Office anyway" and yadda yadda yadda...

Boycott MS!
Use free downloadable office applications which "are much better than Office anyway"
Yadda yadda yadda...

Seriously... there isn't an "Export" function or a "Save", "File type", "Word 97 / 2000 / XP /2003" in Word 2007?
Most of the time it converts the .doc keeping proper formatting, style, etc.
But I didn't try 2007 yet....

can't you choose the file format in the save dialog?
I remember the rare time where I used something like Word 97 and there was, .doc, .doc (word 6.0), .doc (word 2.0), .rtf, .txt etc.

In word 2003, in Tools -> Options -> Save, there is a dropdown to allow you to specify an older version of *.doc files to save as default for compatibility. Don't have my laptop here so can't check but see if Word 2007 has the same option.

In word 2003, in Tools -> Options -> Save, there is a dropdown to allow you to specify an older version of *.doc files to save as default for compatibility. Don't have my laptop here so can't check but see if Word 2007 has the same option.

Cool thanks!!! That's what i needed...

Back