OEM or Full version XP

DW Fan!!!!!

Newcomer
I am looking to finally upgrade from Win 98 to Win XP and have been checking out the prices and now need some advice.

The original upgrade and full versions of XP home and XP Pro are real expensive yet I have found that Ebay has hundreds of OEM versions which are sealed with genuine activation codes.

Is there any difference between these OEM versions and the full versions other than you dont get a box as the price difference is astronomical, I can get OEM XP pro Full version for £45.00 from Ebay while stores have it for £225.00.

Also which is best to get, HOME or PROFESSIONAL and if possible why?

Cheers guys and I know youll be able to help.

My Opinion only.

Buy the OEM Pro version, I got my last copy from ZipZoomFly.com.
It comes without manuals, but it's the same product.

The Pro version has some niceties that are handy if you use remote network access to work, or want to interoperate with a company network of some description.

Have you considered the upgrade version ? It is around the same price as the OEM version and lets you upgrade from Win98. A fresh install obviously, not just upgrading the OS in place (though it may allow that as well).

ERP: I dont think ill need the features you stated so it looks like Home will be sufficient and thanks for your help

FruitFrenzy: The upgrade version in this country cost's about £80.00 which is almost twice what the full OEM version will cost which is why I discounted it from the start unless theres a reason to go for an original version over the OEM.

This is why I asked as I know of know real differences between them but thanks for your input :D

Hi DW ive just been right through Ebay and couldent find a corporate version anywhere and the stores wont sell em over here like newegg and such in the US.

We just get a bum rap :(

Oh I get you now and I should of known :D I dunno about that Digi as I like to get all the updates and I dont think you can with those type of versions (SP1 and SP2),

SP1 you can if you know what you're doing, I figure the same will be true with SP2. ;)

I have a legal copy of XP pro that I picked up when they were running a special promotion, but more to get me sparkly XP lava lamp than anything else. :)

I am using an OEM Home version in my main rig, but then I discovered some programs which needs Pro version. They are mostly for professionals or developers, but you'll want to consider about this if you think you may want to use some of these programs.

By the way, I wanted to get an OEM Pro version, but I couldn't find an English language version in the store (only Traditional Chinese versions), so I bought the OEM Home version. Now I think it's a bad decision for me.

The activation is not really that bad, as I have five computers with WinXP, and none of them even requires re-activation. Maybe I am just lucky, though :)

DW Fan!!!!! said:
Things for which you'll need the pro edition:
- Host your own web server with microsoft's IIS server software,
- Connect remotely to another computer to take control of it with ms's built-in software,
- Use the second processor on your bi-processor motherboard.

Just my 2 cents...

Anonymous said:
DW Fan!!!!! said:
Things for which you'll need the pro edition:
- Host your own web server with microsoft's IIS server software,
- Connect remotely to another computer to take control of it with ms's built-in software,
- Use the second processor on your bi-processor motherboard.

Just my 2 cents...

Yeh if you dont need this .. Get the Home Edition.

RainZ

london-boy said:
When is Win XP Sp.2 - The Revenge coming out?
Maybe this summer, probably this fall - as a lot of things are modified with SP2, ms is doing a long and detailled beta testing phase, and it doesn't look like they're going to make concessions in order to meet a release date. For the better (imho).

And what will be fixed/new/different/better/worse?
In short: improved security.
Not in short: see here.

A SP changes things under the hood, and of course that means it's not very directly noticeable. With SP2 however you'll see a firewall (enabled), media player 9 (in case you would be still using version 8 ), and a pop-up blocker in internet explorer.

Just my 2 cents...

Back