Odd pausing behavior with 6800NU

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by flf, Aug 2, 2004.

1. flf

flf
    Newcomer

The new box:

AMD64 3200
    2GB
    Shuttle SN85G4 V2 XPC (nForce3 150)
    Chaintech 6800NU
    160GB Seagate SATA drive
    Creative Audigy 2ZS

Everything is great... except that during heavy gameplay with newer games I occasionally get these massive (about 8-16 seconds) pauses where the video (and mouse) freeze, and the sound stops, then comes back and everything is just fine.

I've double-checked everything: latest bios, latest nforce and nvidia card drivers. Running WinXPSP1, all patched up. I've tried test renders in Truespace 6.6, and no pauses or hangs during heavy CPU usage at all. Some games (Counter-Strike for example) seem to never pause. 3DMark03 goes postal after a bit with darn near continual pausing.

Core temps on the CPU can climb up to around 70C, which isn't all that bad, while GPU temps are around 55-60C, so no obvious overheating is taking place.

Humus' demos seem to do fine without pauses, and FR-08 and FR-025 seem fine, but FR-030 (Candytron) flips out badly, pauses, and desynchs from the music.

Same exact symptoms using the onboard sound prior to adding in the Audigy, so it is not the culprit.

I'm going to throw in an old GF3 card and see if it exhibits similar problems. Would appreciate any ideas.

2. jvd

jvd
    Banned

Its your cpu. My cpu is running at 45 c under full load.

Get a house fan. Blow it in your case. Then watch the pauses go away.

p.s i'm running a 3000+ running at 2.4 ghz . Which is clocked higher than your 3200+. So its your temps

3. DoS

DoS
    Newcomer

This sounds familiar...
    Are you ocing your card or your system ? This has been happening to me with many NV cards and unstable oced systems (GF3, GF4, and two FX5900s exhibit similar behaviour). If the card was a few Mhz past what it could actually handle (no artifacts at all) the long pauses started happening occasionally...and the same goes for an oced system. Actually IIRC, when i set the RAM timings tighter and out of spec this was happening a lot. i remember back then i had Corsair 133 modules which were certified for 150 and was running them @ 166 speeds with tight timings. When i relaxed the timings the prob got away. So IMO, the card should be okay and if you have anything oced go back to stock speeds to see if it's happening. If you haven't oced anything, make sure your Ram can handle those 400 speeds at the timings you have set it.

4. L233

Veteran

Try the following:

1. Install Rivatuner
    2. Go to the "Power User tab
    3. Go to \Overclocking
    4. Set Value 1 for
    - DisableInternalClockTest
    - EnableLowPower3DControl
    - EnablePerfLevelForcing
    - UseAlternateStarUpDaemon
    5. Reboot

6. Open Rivatuner
    7. Klick on that little Arrow/Triangle Thingy at "Driver Settings/Forceware detected"
    8. Click on the video card icon
    9. In the Overclocking Tab enable "driver level hardware overclocking"
    10. Pick "performance 3D" from the drop down list next to "force constant performance level"
    11. reboot and/or do whatever Rivatuner deems neccessary for making it work

12. See if the problem still persists and tell us

Edit:
    I am suspecting a problem the 6800 dynamic downclocking behaviour that some BIOS versions display. I have a similar problem with my 6800U.

5. Unit01

Newcomer

MY guess is ram. Since if your timings are to tight or ram is to high overclocked it might have problem reading / writing exhibiting these pauses. At least that's my experience from it.

6. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

Well, we had one guy saying it's the CPU, one saying it's the GPU, one saying it's the RAM......

I'll go for the HDD. :lol: Just kidding...

7. flf

flf
    Newcomer

My mistake on the system temps... I got the two fields backwards. The nForce "CPU Case" can get up around 50, while the "System" temp is in the low-mid 40's.

Anyhow, the temps aren't approaching the red line, so I kind of doubt temps are the problem.

So I've had some success this morning. Only more testing will determine if this is the solution.

Turns out that with all the voltage settings on AUTO was setting the LDT voltage to 1.2v, rather than the proper voltage of 1.5v. I manually set that, as well as bumping up AGP voltage to 1.6v, and things appear to be quite stable at the moment.

I'll let you all know what the final verdict is.

8. François

Newcomer

FLF!!!

I had exactly the same problem as you.

What I did was a defrag- my hard disk was highly fragmented. After I did the defrag, the hiccups never happened once on 4 hours of gametime.

Try this and let me know!

François

ps: By hiccups I mean total freeze

9. flf

flf
    Newcomer

Defragging your hard drive should have zero impact upon computer performance unless disc queues exceed the internal buffers. (Things like the MS indexing service and virus scanning can cause this sort of thing to occur, but shouldn't be a problem with most games if you have enough memory.)

Given that I have 2GB, the need for swap file usage should be minimal. In short, defragging is not the answer.

10. François

Newcomer

flf

I'm just telling you I had the same problem as you described and defragging fixed it. (sounds like the simplest most obvious thing but it worked). I was quite happy to have fixed this problem so I thought I'd share it with you. Best of luck.

François

11. flf

flf
    Newcomer

Thanks, Francois.

Anyhow, turns out the culprit was factory overclocking. This is a Chaintech 6800NU, and it's "default" settings appear to be 358/771. The memory speeds are probably the main culprit of my pauses... clocking it back to 325/700 seems to make everything totally stable.

I'll post here if I find out differently. Oh, and it's not temperatures for certain... the video card hasn't exceeded 70C (which I see lots of GT and Ultra owers do), and typically is about 65-66C after serious work.

12. François

Newcomer

Wow !

Then all the people who bought BFG cards may experience the same problems too since their cards are overclocked

François

13. Dutch Guy

Newcomer

Some 6800NU cards have 2.2ns (900Mhz) memorychips while others have 2.8ns (700Mhz) memorychips, maybe

14. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Can someone with a 6800 download a fillreate tester that specifically tests Z and or stencils and see if those tests are OK?

15. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Hmmmm so what do I have - I can only do 820Mhz - maybe I have some 'good' 2.8ns RAM.

16. Dutch Guy

Newcomer

I can't tell, my old GF4 had 3.6ns chips (555Mhz) but was fine at 650Mhz speed.

If you look at http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/gffx/nv40-5.html#p3 you see that the Galaxy has 2.2ns chips and the MSI has 2.8ns chips, the MSI managed 840Mhz while the Galaxy managed 1000Mhz so it looks like you have 2.8ns chips.

17. marco

Regular

Beware!! I scanned this thread quickly, but freezes with a GF6 Ultra or GT are most of the times caused by old an old BIOS. You need to ask for a new BIOS.. that will solve the issue. I have encountered this already (thank Will)