Oculus Quest | Meta Quest 2

There was some talk that Meta would subsidize hardware, just to get a big installed base and market share.

Guess not.

Is that the cost of not requiring a Facebook account? They are including Beat Saber for a limited time, which should soften the blow.

I wonder if I can contact their support and ask for a free beat saber.

When they were giving free star wars 1 2 3 for new oculus quest purchasers awhile ago, I contacted them and they give me the games for free

There was some talk that Meta would subsidize hardware, just to get a big installed base and market share.

Guess not.

They were subsidizing heavily to reach $299.

Apple's privacy changes are costing Meta $10bn for this year alone. To date, their Quest subsidies have probably cost them several hundred $1m. They probably don't feel like they can stomach that in the current situation.

Meta's AR/VR division is apparently losing $3bn a quarter. That seems like a lot, even with a subsidised Quest.

Dean Takahashi draws comparison with Xbox' early loses in this thread.

It would have been smarter to release new headsets at the higher price point (better margin) and retire the older headsets. Even if it was just a refresh on the soc or something , still could have had the price increase pawned off on that.

I am wondering what this means for deckard and psvr 2 however. Deckard could hide behind high prices since its an obvious super high end pc device. But I wonder how sony's pricing will end up since you need a $400-$500 system coupled with the headset

I think they mostly get away with the cost being discreet and not PS5+PSVR2. For many, the PS5 is paid for. Same for PC VR.

ouch. this could means sony wont release PS5+PSVR2 bundle. as it could result in negative marketing of PSVR2 (plus PS5) super expensive

I think they mostly get away with the cost being discreet and not PS5+PSVR2. For many, the PS5 is paid for. Same for PC VR.

They could just put the psvr out there at X price and hope for the best. But at the end of the day if its say $400-$500 which I believe is the new price for the quest 2 , and a customer comes in and wants to pick up a psvr only to find out hey you also need another $400-$500 system that is going to really hurt adoption vs the device you just buy and start using. Of course the psvr 2 will be more advanced than the quest 2 in a lot of ways but it could also just run head first into quest 3 also and that could be moot. Will be interesting to see the break down and how things roll out. The VR market is different than it was with the psvr 1
ouch. this could means sony wont release PS5+PSVR2 bundle. as it could result in negative marketing of PSVR2 (plus PS5) super expensive
Wonder what the sticker shock will be if they drop say a $1000 bundle. Of course that could run into deckard being the same price for just the unit before pc or even the new meta vr headset. Dunno. Guess we find out whenever this thing comes out

Maybe the time is right for non programmable hardware, but just for low cost VR.

Pure Ray tracer with scene graph, one Uber shader, hardware skinning engine. Minimal programmability.

Back