Octopath Traveller [NX]

JRPG from the team that did the Bravely Default games on 3DS.

The mix of 3D and Pixel Art looks gorgeous. Normally I absolutely hate DoF, but it works for how this game is presented (non-realistic). It kind of reminds me of those old holiday Claymation movies you'd see on broadcast TV. It looks modern and retro simultaneously.

Regards,
SB

Wow that combination looks amazing. My wife would cream herself over this.

Well, it's now out (changed the title to reflect final name). I bought it and have played about 3 hours or so.

I have to say, this is basically Final Fantasy when the series was still good. Looking at how much I've played and then the world map...this thing is also pretty huge. I've heard that it's a 100+ hour game, so...yeah. :)

Not sure how advanced character progression will get as I haven't opened things up much yet, but I'm hoping it's more than what I can currently see.

This is also a very mature game. I picked the Dancer to start and it's almost explicit about master/slave whore/prostitute and what the Dancer's "Master" was demanding of her. I was fairly shocked, but the story played out well.

Watched a streamer play it briefly and he started with the Thief. The thief definitely has a much easier start, although the "origin" story of the thief wasn't as interesting as the one for the dancer, IMO.

I'm really looking forward to this as I love that era of Final Fantasy games (FF VI) which this is sort of a spiritual successor to.

The graphics while gorgeous also sometimes feel off. Like it feels like the DOF blur is also affecting the main character sprites as well, making them oddly blurred and difficult to focus on. That said, I love the aesthetic even if I hate the DOF. The whole 3D pixel art graphics feels both fresh and nostalgic at the same time.

If you've wanted to play an old school Square Enix type JRPG, you owe it to yourself to check this out. There's a time limited demo (I think 2 hours) of the game you can download on the Switch and try out. Any progress made in the demo can be carried over to the retail game if you want.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Well, it's now out (changed the title to reflect final name). I bought it and have played about 3 hours or so.

I have to say, this is basically Final Fantasy when the series was still good. Looking at how much I've played and then the world map...this thing is also pretty huge. I've heard that it's a 100+ hour game, so...yeah. :)

This isn't really my type of game but I must say I have been enjoying the three-hour demo they released, was it last year or earlier this year.

Seems to be quite the game!
There was a lot of excitement for this Final Fantasy VI inspired RPG, but it turns out that Square Enix underestimated demand quite significantly, with physical copies selling out over the game’s first weekend on sale.
Square Enix wasn’t so sure how well the game would sell, but it has swiftly turned into a hit. Over in Japan, physical copies are completely sold out, and in the US, Amazon is facing stock issues, giving potential buyers a 1-2 month delivery window.
KitGuru Says: I grabbed Octopath Traveller from the eShop on Friday, but I can understand why many would want a physical copy for a game like this. JRPG fans in particular often like to have a collection of games on the shelf.
https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/octopath-traveller-is-selling-out-everywh
ere-due-to-underestimated-demand/

Finally got to unlock the 2nd job system. My mind is going into overdrive with character job combination possibilities.
  • Each job can be used as a 2nd job. You can freely switch out 2nd jobs, but once a job is assigned, it can't be used by another character until you remove it from that character.
  • Active skills come and go with the 2nd job, but unlocked 2nd job passives are kept forever even if you swap out the job for a different one.
So, the min/max personality in me is already looking at so much grinding as I swap out jobs to get the perfect passive skillset for the character archtypes I want. :p It's a good thing I enjoy the combat system in the game.

Oh, and now I'm hearing there are secret jobs/classes in the game. :runaway: My life is over.

This may end up being my game of the year.

Regards,
SB

Back