Oblivion thread

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by thekey, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

Hmm that's a good question, because if I remember correctly SI came out around the same time the latest ATI drivers did. But I do know for a fact I began noticing them after the installation of SI. Apparently, with the FormID problems and numerous glitches, SI is pockmarked with a great deal of bugs so it may just be SI.

2. kyleb

Veteran

Yeah, I think I installed the drivers a bit before the patch, but didn't play any Oblivion inbetween so I can't say when the issue started. I suppose I'll try turning AA off next time I play to see if that might be part of the problem.

And I just googled around a bit on this "FormID problem" which sounds pretty nasty, any chance you could link the hotfix you mentioned?

3. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

what is 'J' and 'W' -RPG?

i didn't like neverwinter nights (maybe it's the d&d thing? definately the camera issues put me off). so i didn't get NWN2.

i LOVE Gothic2 (& 3) (G2 is about a perfect game IMO)
    not so much morrowind, but i love Oblivion mostly. and it's different in many ways from gothic(s), but essential elements are the same (open ended sandbox, stuff to find/solve...skills to acquire with the 1st/3rd person 'standard' interface and good/great camera work. interactive options.

if that helps you any.

4. Dresden

Veteran

Sure can:

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=673631

kyleb likes this.
  5. DJ12

Veteran

J(apanesse) Final Fantasy etc.etc. W(estern) Neverwinter nights and stuff like that.

6. Dresden

Veteran

It's Japanese in the sense that the Akaviri Katanas are well, katanas. And the buck stops there. What, out of sheer curiosity is a "Japanese RPG..."

7. kyleb

Veteran

Thanks for the FormID fix. As for JRPGs, they games like the final fantasy series, nothing like Oblivion.

8. Davros

Legend

9. KimB

Legend

Just fyi, the original NWN really is not the most shining example of a WRPG. For more recent ones, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is a much better example, as is NWN2 (though NWN2 is pretty complex, so not a good game to start the RPG genre with...KoTOR is much simpler and easier to get into, though KoTOR2 has big problems, and I wouldn't recommend it). Jade Empire is also a fairly fun WRPG, but it's more of an action RPG.

Oblivion is a fairly different sort of RPG than your more traditional WRPG, as it's a sandbox game. The only games I know of that really fit in this genre are the Elder Scrolls series and the Gothic series. These games are completely open-ended, and you can play your character however you want, complete whatever quests you want, and in general do whatever. This makes for great replay value as, for example (in Oblivion), you can make one character to go through the main quest, one to go through the mages' guild quest, one to go through the fighters' guild quest, one to go through the thieves' guild quest, one to go through the dark brotherhood quest, one to conquer the arena, and another to go through the Shivering Isles expansion, or just make one character to play through them all, or a couple, or none (and just go exploring and completing random side quests).

The story in this sort of game is typically a bit less interesting than in the more directed WRPG's and JRPG's (at least the good ones), but Oblivion seems to have made great strides to improve upon its predecessor here. The choices you face in Oblivion aren't so much how you complete various quests (as in other WRPG's, where you often have a choice between good and evil paths), but more just in which sorts of quests you tackle in the first place.

I can't really comment on how the Gothic series and the Elder Scrolls series differ, though, as I have yet to play the Gothic games. I've been scared off by continual reports of buggy behavior.

10. Dresden

Veteran

Last night I began the long plight to making a new character. Believe it or not this was the first time I made my own class and I have to admit it's really, really nice. I started out as a journeyman in conjuration and destruction which was fantastic, seeing as I didn't have a weapon for about 20 minutes there, which meant I had to conjure up skellies and run away every two seconds. I can safely say character creation is the hardest aspect of this game. I'm so cosmetically inclined that the way my character looks is far more important than it should be...

11. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

what weapon did you eventually get? a staff?

12. Dresden

Veteran

I stick with swords. I ended up using some silly rusty iron awfulness.

Anyone have any tips on appearance? No matter how much I pore over the creation of my character, in the end they all end up looking EXACTLY the same, down to a t.

13. KimB

Legend

Well, fortunately, early on in the game even a crappy sword with crappy sword skill can get you by :)

I usually just randomize the face until I find something close to what I like, add a few small changes, and away I go.

14. Dresden

Veteran

Tell me about it! I went from Shadowrend to rusty iron vendor trash :wink:

15. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

finally received my copy (knights of the nine & shivering isles). now i have a bunch of new interesting quests (not counting the zillion unfinished ones in my log already)!

i haven't been to the shivering isles yet, outfitted my new tower, outfitted my horse, and went off the find some razor (where i stopped last night). i guess with a name like 'shivering' there's no chance of a tropical ambience? (completely different feel to the rest of the game would be nice)

BTW, i think one of another of the installs turned off my "nice animals" mod. cause a panther pursued and attacked me and my horse. so you may want to check your datafile activations (i will tonight) for any mods you had beforehand.

i tried to make a character that looked like me, and failed miserably. my hair (selected for my real color) came out ORANGE once in the game (wasn't orange in the selection screens). and while my face/body look completely different than anyone elses screenshots i've seen, it doesn't resemble me at all...or anyone else i've ever seen. so i decided that's as good as it gets. i kinda don't like seeing myself in the game, it's that bad. but my character is so skilled with stealth wacking (archer/thief/assasin) it makes up for it i guess.

16. DarN

Regular

Here's a good thread on face generation.

17. Dresden

Veteran

I'd like to make everyone aware of a massive issue I've noticed not only with myself but with other's from their posts around the official forums concerning savegame corruption after installation of SI. I had to reinstall the game, which is a task for me seeing how many mods I have, and neglect to reinstall SI until the issue has been officially dealt with by Bethesda instead of unstable third party fixes.

18. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I'd blame the mods. I made a separate install of plain Oblivion + SI. No mods. Bunches of the mods conflict with just the v1.2 patch. The expansion is probably a disaster zone for mod incompats.

19. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Mods that change the attributes for characters/monsters ingame would make things unbalanced and problematic in expansions unless the mod is updated to adjust expansion character/monster attributes.

20. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Yea.

I forgot to mention that I did install some UI mods. DarkUI, ImmersiveUI, etc. I can't stand Oblivion without them.