Oblivion thread

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by thekey, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

Why not just use the official 1.2 patch for your LOD needs? Seems to do a far superior job than most custom addons, and at less of a performance deficit.

2. icecold1983

Banned

cuz i want to see how good these look in motion after all the comments ive read about them being amazing

trying to get this

[​IMG]

#742 icecold1983, Mar 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007
  3. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

That looks correct to me, although not sure if you would need the 2048 lods with the patch (or arn't you using the patch?)

The screen your aiming for also uses qarls better tiling mod do reduce the amount of repeating textures in the distance (again, not needed with the patch), however I think the main difference between that and your shots is that yours seem to be using the butt ugly natural weather mod and naturla water mods which make everything to bright and colourful, and the water look like a swimming pool IMO. Better to stick with the natural vegitation mod only and increase the waters reflection detail in the ini. The time of day that the shot was taken will also effect the view since the shadows can look deeper at different times.

4. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

It looks decent, best in shots IMO. The prob is, at certain angles, that normal-mapped terrain is horribly blocky cuz of normal map compression issues. I stopped use those LOD textures because of those artifacts and because of how much vram they use.

5. icecold1983

Banned

what do u use now, what do u think provides the best combo pre and post patch.

6. Frank

Frank Certified not a majority
    Veteran

icecold, why don't you start a thread to ask for the best visual experiences possible at this moment? And does it have to be generated in real time, or is pre-rendered acceptable as well?

Better than bitching about not being able to get it.

7. Frank

Frank Certified not a majority
    Veteran

Btw, Icecold, I still think Planescape: Torment and Deus Ex OWN all those pretty games you're looking at. They're simply incredible awesome games, even while they look like shit. I'll play them any day over yet-another-nicely-looking-FPS-xxx.

;)

8. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Torment was definitely the pinnacle of the Infinity Engine games.

Having picked up Shivering Isles yet, but I created a new toon, a female Nord named Miriamelle (ripping off Tad Williams' princess) with a custom paladin-style class. I've played thief/assassin types to death with this game, and the Elder Scrolls magic systems bore me to tears. So whack-a-mole it is, though I'm already missing Dark Messiah's kick-fest option, particularly near ledges or cliffs.

Oh, and the patch's new LOD shader is quite nifty since I've done a clean reinstall. Don't care for the black dots spangled across distant terrain, though.

9. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

My chick can beat up your chick!

http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=oblivion200704050040101vh5.jpg

The new armor is a nice feature in SI. That there is the Dark Seducer armorset you get upon completion of a quest. It's not enchanted though which is disappointing.

10. kyleb

Veteran

That is hardly dissapointing, always nicer to enchant stuff yourself. ;)

11. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

I recently picked up oblivion but I seem to be having some stability/bug issues while using OOO1.31 lite and the living economy mod (the game is completely stable without). About 50% of the time when I quit the game it's reported as a crash, i.e it doesn't properly exit and the program stops responding. There's nothing that renders the game completely unplayable but it's an annoyance to say the least. Is anybody else experiencing similar issues or this this isolated to my configuration? I'm using the latest v1.2 patch btw.

12. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Yes I have similar crashing problems when quiting the game. Hadn't reaised it was down to OOO but im running it too so I guess it is!

13. Dresden

Veteran

Anyone with the expansion realize that after completion of the main quest in SI, the blacksmith in Bliss stops talking to you? Bastard didn't even craft me magical armor yet....

SLIGHT SPOILER AHEAD:

Pretty badass spell you receive upon completing the game. You actually get to manipulate the weather on the Shivering Isles.

#753 Dresden, Apr 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2007
  14. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

Yeah either that or the living economy mod. I also had issues with a particular fighters guild quest (the Azani Blackheart one) in which you had to travel to the aylied ruin Arpenia. For whatever reason OOO made this quest nearly impossible to complete, the game would constantly crash while in the ruin. eventually I got to the exit but as I was leaving it crashed again corrupting my autosave, which happened to be my only save because an eariler crash had corrupted my quicksave! 20+ hours down the drain :p I didn't really mind but the stability issues really need to get ironed out with OOO.

Sorta a side note but does anybody know if there are mods that take out the level/loot scaling and adjust the NPC/monster levels without adding any new content whatsoever? I think such a mod would be *a lot* more stable than OOO.

15. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

how many hours did you play it?

i haven't received mine yet, though i did receive a neighbor's package yesterday (and delivered it to her). i wonder who has my package? or if it's still in transit? hmm.

16. Dresden

Veteran

Probably a good 15-20 hours. I took my time. There's a hotfix for the bugged blacksmith and the unaddressed FormID problems, unofficial though.

17. kyleb

Veteran

While playing SI I've noticed some graphical glitches on my x1950xtx. Occasionally when striking an enemy, instead of sparks I get a flash of a white rectangle with rounded edges. I not sure if it's the new patch, the or latest Catalyst drivers, or perhaps my card is slightly defective. Anyone else seen anything similar?

18. Dresden

Veteran

The exact same thing happens to me but I don't think it takes the place of sparks. It a randomized graphical glitch that looks like a faint, flashing small box. At first I thought it was the border of windows open in the background. I use an X1900 XTX, therefore it's probably an ATI problem, unless an Nvidia user proves us wrong.

19. kyleb

Veteran

Ah, good to hear it probably isn't my card going tits up anyway. I too though it might have been stuff from other windows in the bacground at first. I've only see it when beating on people with a weapon though, which is why it figured it is releated to the sparks. I suppose I'll turn off AA next time I play and see if that changes anything.

Did you notice the issue before the patch and/or with previous drivers?

20. DJ12

Veteran

I am trying to figure out if I should buy Oblivion or not.

I am a fan of JRPGs and sort of like Summoner but I have tried games like Neverwinter Knights and just not gotten into them for some reason.

I know it's virtually impossible to tell me I'm going to like the game, but is it anything like Summoner or a JRPG or is it a typical WRPG?