Nzone vs. "get in the game!?!?"

silhouette

Regular
I just visited to both Nvidia's and ATI's sites' gaming zones. Please check both and tell me which card would you buy after seeing these two web sites. Honestly, if I do not know a single thing about the preformance/features of the cards from both company, I would definitely buy an Nvidia one.

I do not understand how Ati is doing so bad in presenting how their card support the new games. The only thing I could find in their webpage is a list of the supported games with links to their websites. No fancy graphics, no presentation. Even, Half-Life 2 is in the index page of n-zone despite that the producer of the same game advices R9800 to everyone..

silhouette said:
I do not understand how Ati is doing so bad in presenting how their card support the new games. The only thing I could find in their webpage is a list of the supported games with links to their websites. No fancy graphics, no presentation. Even, Half-Life 2 is in the index page of n-zone despite that the producer of the same game advices R9800 to everyone..

It depends on how easily influenced you are by marketing. It's obvious that both companies will say their cards are best, but with a bit of time seaching via Google, you can get a true picture. I always like to check support groups/forums to see what problems have been encountered by people who have actually bought and installed the cards, as well as reading several reviews. Top of the range gear is too expensive not to spend a little time reading up on before you put down the money.

I mean honestly, do you spend significant amounts of cash based only on what the people trying to get your money will say about how great their products are? You'd have to be fairly foolish to use a company's own marketing as your only criteria.

fact is - 90% of the people, buy products based on " on what the people trying to get your money will say about how great their products are?"
Given that...
Ah - and the only game I'm aware which has ATi's logo is "Will Rock", as for games carrying NV logo saying just UT2003 says enough.
IMHO every unbiased man can say which firm's maerketing is better, don't you think?

chavvdarrr said:
fact is - 90% of the people, buy products based on " on what the people trying to get your money will say about how great their products are?"
Given that...

That's a bit of a generalisation. Are you saying that 90 percent of the people who bought $400 worth of graphics cards only did it on the marketing? Arn't you failing to take into account that the majority of people looking to spend that kind of money are more technically aware than most markets?

Even if you look at lower end cards where the real quantities ship, the majority go to OEMs, and they are more interested in feature checkboxes and their bottom line than any marketing put out to the retail segment by the chip manufacturer.

chavvdarrr said:
Ah - and the only game I'm aware which has ATi's logo is "Will Rock", as for games carrying NV logo saying just UT2003 says enough.
IMHO every unbiased man can say which firm's maerketing is better, don't you think?

Sure, but you've got to consider how relevant marketing is overall. I could agree with you and say that Nvidia's marketing is better, but if it only make's a difference in 1 percent of the sales, then it's still not that significant.

There are other factors too. Nvidia's ruthless and untruthful markting has worked against it too. It is one of the factors that made me recommend ATI cards rather than Nvidia cards. I know that Nvidia marketing lies and cheats and cannot be trusted, so I give it a much lower significance when it comes to buying decisions, than the marketing that ATI puts out. Does this make Nvidia's marketing "better" when it actively pushes customers like me and my friends over to other products?

Arn't you failing to take into account that the majority of people looking to spend that kind of money are more technically aware than most markets?

I would have to agree there. I can't see anyone (except for kids with rich parents) buying high-end cards without knowing at least a modicum of knowledge about what they are getting and pros cons etc.

It's the case with all of my mates, the ones whom don't know what FSAA or AF is, don't know what a pixel shader is, buy low end crap. They will never spend more than $150US for a card. A couple of mates like the high-end gear and they always come to me when considering upgrades.

I know some people who have high end cards and then go and play CS at 640x480 bilinear and no AA :|

As for the sites, I can't really comment on the nvidia one as it complained at me for not having flash 6 and so i went to install that and it told me to reboot, so i told it to shaft itself :LOL: I can't imagine it being any mor worthwhile for me to read than atis though (which isn't very)

Kalbaz said:
I would have to agree there. I can't see anyone (except for kids with rich parents) buying high-end cards without knowing at least a modicum of knowledge about what they are getting and pros cons etc.

It's the case with all of my mates, the ones whom don't know what FSAA or AF is, don't know what a pixel shader is, buy low end crap. They will never spend more than $150US for a card. A couple of mates like the high-end gear and they always come to me when considering upgrades.

Took the words right out of the ol' feeding orifice...;)

I know I appreciate the facts straight and unvarnished. This is one of the great perceptual differences between ATi & nVidia PR at the moment. When I read those smarmy, "zowie-wowie" nVidia PR pages making all sorts of cheeky, blustery declarations of uniqueness and superiority that are usually always completely undefined, undocumented, and unsupported, it's enough to make me want to run screaming in the streets, "Gag me with a spoon!"

Does anyone remember ATI's Rage Conspiracy site? It was very similar to NZone in the type of content.

I don't think users go to NVidia's site to visit NZone. They go there to get drivers.

Back