NX Gamer Discusses Game Tech *spin* [2015 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im sure if ubi gave people the choice between half-baked games and great games everyone would choose the great games
And tuna's point stands. People are buying the games in huge numbers now so why spend more money making them better? Unless that extra effort is going to result in increasing sales commiserate to cover the cost of making the game better, it's wasted money.

It all comes down to time/effort = cost.

Because they could be damaging the franchise and their image as a company!? Becuae they may sell more and therefore make more money from a better product!?

They got away with Unity, but will fingers get burnt twice? I for one won't be getting this until it's in the bargain bucket, one year down the line when all the buugs are fixed and only then if it's praised as a game.

It's easy to earn a bad reputation but not easy to regain a good one.

I think this time they will have more problem. And with Unity they never give Unity sales figures just Unity added withAC rogue sales figures. Beginning by videogames press doing the job and said in preview the game have performance problem and many bugs...

The problem is they set the bar higher than their talent allows and they cannot reset the bar as the internet noise will be the massive downgrade rather than occasional performance issues.

Because they could be damaging the franchise and their image as a company!? Becuae they may sell more and therefore make more money from a better product!?
Could and may. That's why I said sales of Syndicate will be telling. Bottom lines and impact to profitability generally dictate decision making and if some technical issues aren't affecting sales then there's no reason to spend more money to improve technical aspects unless they're actually broken.

Unity was still at No. 5 of the UK chart in January so it's not like sales vanished evern after it was publically known there was some technical issues - bear in mind it launched mid-November.

Ah, so because 1 broken game didn't affect sales you assume those that bought said broken game will be happy to do it again, but let's just 'wait and see' - I mean, as pointed out they had to compensate for Unity already so not such a smart move after all...let alone what the damage of 2 consecutive broken games will do for future revenue.

Yes, let's not fix something unitl it's broken.

Ah, so because 1 broken game didn't affect sales you assume those that bought said broken game will be happy to do it again, but let's just 'wait and see' - I mean, as pointed out they had to compensate for Unity already so not such a smart move after all...let alone what the damage of 2 consecutive broken games will do for future revenue.

No I'm not assuming anything, what I've said (twice) is let's see what Syndicates sales are like. Alternatively can you point to other evidence that technical issues impact sales?

Because I've seen no evidence that supports this, only opinion.

It really impressed me how well they stitched the live action part in the garage with the realtime graphics.

Played the game for a few hours and saw quite a few cutscenes, it looks really good some times, other times it has that green screen feel all over it.

Last edited:
Just watched the NX Gamer analysis and the good looks fantastic apart from the very sparse world.

So at least 1 game proved that the framecap didnt have to be 30 or 60
Some Metal gear games, Zelda OOT, and Shadow of the colossus (PS2) already proved that fact with a 20fps and, yes, a 15fps framecap, notably with Shadow of the Colossus.

I'm confused as to why NX Gamer thinks that the PS4 version is "still double-buffered." Looks most likely triple-buffered to me.

So at least 1 game proved that the framecap didnt have to be 30 or 60
20fps is 60/3. A cap at 20 follows exactly the same logic as a cap at 30, it allows for even vsync'd frame pacing on the output. People just usually don't aim for 20 because it's a pitifully low target, sort of like how trying to accomplish high-quality lighting on PS4 by spitting out a 480x270 image would probably annoy some folks. But 15, 12, 10, etc would all "work."

Theoretically under ~24fps or ~25fps the illusion of correct motion doesn't work anymore. I see a pure slideshow at 20fps (on a 60hz screen) and a relatively smooth animated motion at 25fps (PAL stuff on a 50hz TV obviously), but that's me.

Would be interesting to test the exact threshold, in my case, when I'll get my hands on a gsync or freesync monitor.

Theoretically under ~24fps or ~25fps the illusion of correct motion doesn't work anymore. I see a pure slideshow at 20fps (on a 60hz screen) and a relatively smooth animated motion at 25fps (PAL stuff on a 50hz TV obviously), but that's me.

Would be interesting to test the exact threshold, in my case, when I'll get my hands on a gsync or freesync monitor.
Stop frame animation works at 12 fps and still works as moving characters+objects rather than a set of photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back