NX Gamer Discusses Game Tech *spin* [2015 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best NXGAMER video of all time, it is probably not technically correct all time but clear explanation and like he said it is compromise done by clever people.

Hadn't seen this before... Quite good explanation... and it used some of my SIGGRAPH slides :). At least someone is trying to explain modern rendering techniques to masses.

Temporal reprojection is now used by almost every AAA game (and many indie games as well). KZ: Shadow Fall, Assassin's Creed, Order 1884, Doom and Uncharted all utilize temporal AA. Results are great. Temporal AA is also now the main AA mode in Unreal Engine 4.

High quality screen space reflections and high quality screen space ambient/directional occlusion also depend heavily on temporal reprojection. Temporal reprojection allows you to accumulate reflection rays over multiple frames, improving image quality. Without temporal reprojection the result is either more noisy, or more blurry. Older techniques simply used bilateral blur to smooth their noisy SSAO and reflection results. Nowadays engines use stochastic sampling and temporal reprojection instead. The result is more temporally stable (edges do not judder as much) and sub-pixel detail is properly reconstructed (which is completely missed by blur filters and screen space AA techniques).

Killzone SF technique of reconstructing even/odd scanline (deinterlacing) is easy to understand, as the samples hit directly pixel centers (one sample per pixel) in the best case (non-moving scene). It is trivial to see how to reconstruct a lossless 1080p image from two half resolution pixels (at one pixel offset). Reconstructing from four 720p images with jittered sampling points (Remedy mentioned 4xMSAA) is a little bit harder to understand, and doesn't result in perfect still image, as the jittered sampling positions never hit pixel centers. But on average jittered sampling positions provide better coverage of a sampled signal, meaning that the reconstruction is more stable and less likely to miss subpixel details (which is especially important if you are going to upsample the data). Four 720p 4xMSAA frames produce very good sample coverage of a 1080p output frame. This technique is definitely plausible.

Last edited:
And give up keyboard mouse? Surely you jest. :p

Also suggesting someone should buy a 400+ piece of hardware when they have hardware capable of playing it just fine already is a bit like madness.

Anyhow, I'll drop it from here. I was just curious as I have a GTX660 and the PC performance was brought up.

Why? That's pretty much equal to PS4 settings/performance. Or alternatively you could just buy a GTX970, get way better performance than the PS4 and save yourself £100.

Which is an interesting comparison. My current PC has much of its gaming related components dating from PS3/X360 (case, CPU, memory, PSU, keyboard and mouse) time frame. With a GPU update that is cheaper than a new console, its able to play new titles better than current consoles. It's still more expensive than say a launch X360 + a launch XBO, but the price gap has narrowed significantly over what it was when it was originally made compared to an X360.

I'll also be able to leverage some of those components over another traditional console cycle or two as well even further reducing the cost differential between gaming on PC and console. For example, I usually use the same case for 10-15 years at a time. Prior to my current case, I'd been using a case dating back to 1993. I really REALLY wish I'd held onto some of my old IBM keyboards from the 80's. They'd still be extremely good even now, and arguably better than most keyboards available now. :)

Regards,
SB

For some games you would be pretty strongly CPU bound though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back