Nvidia's 3000 Series RTX GPU [3090s with different memory capacity]

An uncontrolled public poll has the logical biases of both self-reporting (only the people strongly opinionted enough to seek out the poll will report) and the anchoring effect (who is to say all respondents are actual participants versus just trolls on the internet with an axe to grind.)

It also has the side logical bias of everyone reviewing the poll falling for false consensus, where you assume everyone agrees with your view on the subject whether true or not.

Let's put some numbers together, shall we? Let's completly strawman the shit ouf of this.

Coinbase ETH Global Hashrate chart

Set the chart start date to September 17th 2020; the release date of the RTX 3080. You should find the global hashrate for ETH is 266.878 TH/s. As of the date I'm writing this post (June 11th 2021) the global hash rate I see as 637.818 TH/s. Let's make it even a more worst case for my argument, let's instead use the absolute highest value on the chart: 676.820 TH/s on May 21st of 2021.

Beginning value, before any 30xx series GPUs were in the public's hands: 266.878 TH/s
Peak value, after almost precisely eight months of 30xx series GPU sales: 676.820 TH/s
A total of 409.942 TH/s of compute was added to mining ETH in a time span of near-exactly eight months.

Let's also assume the absolutely worst case, that literally EVERY GPU added to mining ETH was an NVIDIA Ampere and not AMD. Let's then contrive the argument even moreso, we'll use the slowest mining Ampere: the RTX 3060 (even though it wasn't actually available the whole time.) Why are we doing this? Because it will result in the most video cards needing to be sold in order to make the argument most favorable to a statement of "miners are buying all the cards!!" According to Mistake Enables Full GeForce RTX 3060 ETH Mining - Over 50 MH/s - Legit Reviews Getting Over 50 MH/s on the GeForce RTX 3060 we could see around 42MH/s without any tuning. To be the most gracious to my opponent's argument, we will completely ignore the tuning potential for both power efficiency and mining rate increases that most miners are likely to deploy.

Ok, so to get 409.942 TH/s of mining out of only 3060 cards mining at only a 42 MH/s rate, we will need just shy of ten million (9,760,524) cards doing the mining! Holy shit, ten million cards!

Getting precise unit shipment numbers of each dGPU is really difficult because nobody truly publishes precise numbers. What we must do is tease the numbers apart from various published market watch research groups, like this one: GPU shipments soar in Q1 year-over-year | Jon Peddie Research

What does that article tell us?
  • Direct quote from the article: According to a new research report from the analyst firm Jon Peddie Research, the growth of the PC-based Graphics Processor Units (GPU) market reached 119 million units in Q1'21
  • Of that 119 million, 15.17% of all shipped GPUs came from NVIDIA. 119,000,000 * 0.1517 == 18 million NV GPUs shipped in the first quarter of this year.
  • You'll notice we also have quarterly sales data posted which goes back Q4'20, and the article notes NVIDIA's shipments in Q1 were 3.9% higher than last quarter. 18,000,000 / 1.039 == 17.4 million NV GPUs shipped in Q4 which covers the initial 30xx series launch.
A few things we don't have:
  • No data on Q2'21 sales, which is the quarter ending in about 19 days. We can reasonably extrapolate Q2 sales will be at least equal to Q1 given the trendline, albeit we aren't done with the quarter just yet. Roughly we're about 5/6ths (83.3%) of the way through Q2, so let's swag 18,000,000 * 0.83 == about 15MM NV GPUs have probably shipped by this point.
  • An argument could be made that shipped GPUs are not directly linked to sold AIB cards inside the same timeframe, because there is time neded to glue it all together. What that really means is we'd have to calculate GPUs shipped even before Q4'20 and have to figure out how to subtract it from Q2'21. I'm not sure it's going to materially alter the outcome here and we have literally no data to help create an estimate. The shift might affect the numbers by the couple-hundred-thousands, but isn't going to materially move the needle.
  • There is no published comprehensive sub-breakdown of which of those shipped 50 million GPU's were 3080's, or 3070's, or 2080's, or 1660's, or 730's, or whatever. What about Quadro too?

We could try to extrapolate percentages of shipments correlated to the sold unit numbers we see on eBay as tracked by Tom's Hardware GPU Pricing Index: Tracking Graphics Cards Sold on eBay | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com). A reasoned argument could be made of total available cards getting scalped on eBay will be correlated to the availability of those cards in the retail sales channel. Funny enough, 3060's make up roughly 20% of the 3000-series cards sold on eBay. Not really sure what that tells us, the 20% number is funny as you'll see below...

What are we left with here?

The ETH rate increased by 409TH/s since September the 17th. If every card added to ETH mining was only NVIDIA Ampere (it wasn't), and was only the slowest-mining Ampere model without any tuning at all (it wasn't), we'd only need to consume 20% of the total GPUs shipped by NV in the last two quarters and the portion of this quarter (they didn't.)

What did we learn?

Miners aren't ruining the GPU economy. Let's stop perpetuating the bullshit already.

The problem with your reasoning is that Nvidia doesn't sell anywhere near 10s of millions of RTX gpus per quarter. At the beginning of the year, Nvidia claimed to that 10% of all gaming PCs were RTX based and many extrapolated that the total RTX userbase to be around 20 million after 2+ years on the market.

High-end-based desktop gpus are going to be just a fraction of Nvidia's total GPU shipments on any given year. 9.7 million high-end gpus being swept up by miners since the release 0f 3000 series cards would actually crater the gpu gaming market for gamers.

Maybe, the miners by themselves aren't solely responsible for creating the current reality. In past the Nvidia may have been able to up production to deal with demand. But the current shortages experienced by the semi-conductor market, in general, may have allowed a portion of buyers who have deep pockets and buy in bulk to have an outweighed influence on the market particularly in regards to pricing.

The problem with your reasoning is that Nvidia doesn't sell anywhere near 10s of millions of RTX gpus per quarter. At the beginning of the year, Nvidia claimed to that 10% of all gaming PCs were RTX based and many extrapolated that the total RTX userbase to be around 20 million after 2+ years on the market.

High-end-based desktop gpus are going to be just a fraction of Nvidia's total GPU shipments on any given year. 9.7 million high-end gpus being swept up by miners since the release 0f 3000 series cards would actually crater the gpu gaming market for gamers.

Maybe, the miners by themselves aren't solely responsible for creating the current reality. In past the Nvidia may have been able to up production to deal with demand. But the current shortages experienced by the semi-conductor market, in general, may have allowed a portion of buyers who have deep pockets and buy in bulk to have an outweighed influence on the market particularly in regards to pricing.

But what is high end these days though? Anything 3060Ti/3070 (RX6700xt and up) isnt really high end perhaps, but capable enough and then some for what games are being targetted for during this generation. Even better said, any RTX or RX gpu is capable enough for whats to come for a long time.

The problem with your reasoning is that Nvidia doesn't sell anywhere near 10s of millions of RTX gpus per quarter.
We can only use the numbers published, and the numbers published say NVIDIA shipped ~18MM GPU's in Q1 of this year and ~17.4MM GPUs in Q4 of last year, along with a reasonable estimation of about ~15MM more up to this point in this quarter. If you read my entire post, you will see I called out exactly the point you're belaboring; we have no specific data on the SKU breakout of those GPUs.

My math still stands: ten million 3060's worth of compute were added to ETH, which is a worst-case scenario for most cards having been sold to miners ostensibly buying them. That's less than 20% of the total GPU's sold by NVIDIA only, assumes zero tuning at all, and assumes literally zero AMD cards were being used. These are already horribly unfair (read, non-realistic) assertions in favor of your argument and not mine, becauase we know A: tuning picks up easily aother 20% hashrate and B: AMD cards are absolutely playing in this space too. Did you not consider how gracious I was beng?

Maybe in your next post, instead of doing literally no work at all except spouting uninformed opinion, you can do some hard math for yourself to see how many GPU's AMD has sold and how financially their cards compare on hashrate at each SKU level. Pick the slowest one, and figure out what percentage of cards would be needed to make up that ETH global hash rise. The consider how much basic RAM underclocking / GPU overclocking helps with power consumption and therefore hash rate on a per-card bsais, and how that hashrate increase in tuning would effect the total number of cards needing to be sold. Maybe you could consider how higher-placed SKU items like the xx70 and xx80 and Ti series cards affects hashrates-per-card-sold too, as a function of how many GPUs have shipped That 20% figure I came up with is completely off-the-ceiling too high as it is, probably by double, if we account for everything else in the SKU stack plus easy and well documented tuning plus AMD's sizable stake in the game.

We also assume nobody was buying cards on the used market for mining. We also assume nobody started mining with cards they already had but just hadn't realized it was profitable; lots of people gave up on GPU mining Bitcoin a long time ago, ETH is a relatively new player. i took every avenue to inflate the numbers in favor of the counter argument (only NVIDIA chips, only the slowest ones, only brand new cards, using absolute peak numbers of hashrate) and the numbers are still not there to support this absurd claim that miners are ruining the GPU economy.

Miners are not ruining the GPU economy, stop the bullshit.

Last edited:

I agree with your arguments. If NV could deliver whats on demand, they would just sell a whole lot more. The GPU/PC market is just very much growing, heck it shows the demand when people are willing (crazy enough) to pay thousands of dollars for a new gpu), which even i as a hardcore pc gamer wont. I build my current system (2080Ti, 3900x, 32gb ram, samsung 970 nvme) in 2018, upgraded the ssd in early 2019 somewhere and a cpu/mobo upgrade. More capable then the consoles and i can upgrade the SSD to 7gb/s standards when prices sink somewhat. Probably the best build ive ever done, along with the Ti4200 system almost 20 years ago :p

Last edited:
We can only use the numbers published, and the numbers published say NVIDIA shipped ~18MM GPU's in Q1 of this year and ~17.4MM GPUs in Q4 of last year, along with a reasonable estimation of about ~15MM more up to this point in this quarter. If you read my entire post, you will see I called out exactly the point you're belaboring; we have no specific data on the SKU breakout of those GPUs.

My math still stands: ten million 3060's worth of compute were added to ETH, which is a worst-case scenario for most cards having been sold to miners ostensibly buying them. That's less than 20% of the total GPU's sold by NVIDIA only, assumes zero tuning at all, and assumes literally zero AMD cards were being used. These are already horribly unfair (read, non-realistic) assertions in favor of your argument and not mine, becauase we know A: tuning picks up easily aother 20% hashrate and B: AMD cards are absolutely playing in this space too. Did you not consider how gracious I was beng?

Maybe in your next post, instead of doing literally no work at all except spouting uninformed opinion, you can do some hard math for yourself to see how many GPU's AMD has sold and how financially their cards compare on hashrate at each SKU level. Pick the slowest one, and figure out what percentage of cards would be needed to make up that ETH global hash rise. The consider how much basic RAM underclocking / GPU overclocking helps with power consumption and therefore hash rate on a per-card bsais, and how that hashrate increase in tuning would effect the total number of cards needing to be sold. Maybe you could consider how higher-placed SKU items like the xx70 and xx80 and Ti series cards affects hashrates-per-card-sold too, as a function of how many GPUs have shipped That 20% figure I came up with is completely off-the-ceiling too high as it is, probably by double, if we account for everything else in the SKU stack plus easy and well documented tuning plus AMD's sizable stake in the game.

We also assume nobody was buying cards on the used market for mining. We also assume nobody started mining with cards they already had but just hadn't realized it was profitable; lots of people gave up on GPU mining Bitcoin a long time ago, ETH is a relatively new player. i took every avenue to inflate the numbers in favor of the counter argument (only NVIDIA chips, only the slowest ones, only brand new cards, using absolute peak numbers of hashrate) and the numbers are still not there to support this absurd claim that miners are ruining the GPU economy.

Just because the access to the numbers is limited, doesn't mean the numbers that are available are good to use or can provide any insight to the situation. You can't comfortably break out numbers for RTX sales than whats the point? Whats worse is you don't even try. I would rather you make a bad assumption with good intention than taking overall Nvidia quarterly gpu sales as its just an invitation to a poor conclusion. Personally, I wouldn't bother generating an opinion based off such limited data. What little research I've done shows that your use of 18 million gpus a quarter is excessive when talking about supply and demand within the RTX market and 9.7 million of 3060 level GPUs going to miners would be rather significant.

You go ahead and perform your thesis-level work about crypto mining effects on the gaming gpu market using a bunch of mindless calculations or reasoning while Nvidia simply states stuff like this...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/n...u-sales-set-records-as-mining-craze-continues

"Nvidia admitted in an earnings call yesterday that many of its gaming GPUs did end up at Ethereum mining farms, but did not estimate the share of its graphics processors that were bought by miners. It also promised that it's "taken action" to help crypto miners not eat up all gaming GPU stock."

Now I have no clue whether gpu miners would have an outweighed influence on gpu prices outside the current conditions. But its rather obvious that Nvidia feels the need to make their gpus less attractive to miners and promised to take additional actions to lessen their effect on supplies.

I don't know the population of the United States. But I know the population of the world so lets say the US has a population of 7 billion. From my other calculation, 350 million people in the US died. But whats 350 million dead when there still 6.65 billion still living in the US?

Thats what your argument looks like to me in laymen terms.

Last edited:
TechPowerUp poll exists to serve relatively enthusiast gamer crowd, it doesn't represent the overall market in any imaginable way.
That is rather the point? The issue was if gamers are driving up prices. Apparently 91% are not. Or is the contention that casual gamers are willing to pay *much* more than enthusiasts?

It also has the side logical bias of everyone reviewing the poll falling for false consensus, where you assume everyone agrees with your view on the subject whether true or not.
As opposed to selectively trusting only evidence which supports one's claims. What is that bias again?

Last edited:
Nvidia claimed to that 10% of all gaming PCs were RTX based and many extrapolated that the total RTX userbase to be around 20 million after 2+ years on the market.
20 million sounds like a very low number. VERY LOW. There close is to a billion PC out in the world.
The problem with your reasoning is that Nvidia doesn't sell anywhere near 10s of millions of RTX gpus per quarter
Then what are they selling? Pascal was completely phased out 2 years ago, NVIDIA is only manufacturing Turing since at least the beginning of 2020, then came Ampere later.

That is rather the point? The issue was if gamers are driving up prices. Apparently 91% are not. Or is the contention that casual gamers are willing to pay *much* more than enthusiasts?

How representative is that poll? I, for one, never heard of that poll until you mentioned it.

Last I looked it had over 28k responses, so pretty good sample size.

The problem is not sample size, but quality of the sample.
Generally I won't put too much trust into internet polls, because for most internet polls people have to actively take the survey, instead of passively being surveyed, which is already a problem. They also tend to break some basic rules (e.g. generally you don't want to have partial results available before the conclusion of the poll), and they are generally not very good at keeping people from voting repeatedly.

On the other hand, if you look at, say, Steam hardware survey, it's actually more sound, statistically. The survey is done actively (people are passively surveyed, though they can refuse to participate, just like in normal polls). It's quite hard to vote multiple times from the same person, as the survey is based on Steam account, and while it's possible to create multiple Steam account, it's hard to imagine why someone would want to do that just to pollute the survey results.

Perhaps this will clarify the situation. 3070s are going for about 1650 on Amazon. Why? Because it is profitable to buy them at that price. Each 3070 can make 3000+ a year mining. Let that sink in. Hell, I have some land, 15kw of solar, quite a bit of free time, and a chunk of disposable cash. I'm tempted to start buying these bargains up. Just need to get over the moral hangup of it being an ecological disaster.

Then what are they selling? Pascal was completely phased out 2 years ago, NVIDIA is only manufacturing Turing since at least the beginning of 2020, then came Ampere later.
Is there a source for this? I'm genuinely interested, especially Pascal-based 1050 Ti and below still seem to be sold at almost competitive prices (i.e. not individual samples, that some mom-and-dad-shop had lying around the shelf for ages). Heck, there even are a shit ton of GT730s and their like.

There's also a whole lot of Turing-based GTX cards - not in models, but in numbers: 1660, 1660S and 1660Ti, which can be of interest to miners. They are build on 12nm, so there's less contention about 7- or 8-nm-production ressources, and because of their lower price points, traditionally, those GPUs made up the majority of numbers. Steam Survey ranks the cards like this: 1060, 1050 Ti, 1650, RTX 2060, 1050, 1070, 1660 Ti, 1660S, RTX 2070S, Radeon RX 580, GTX 1080, GTX 1660, RTX 2070... of course, that's installed base, not volume sold in the last two quarters.

There's also a whole lot of notebook models based on MX150-450, which are much cheaper than RTX-based notebooks. I take the liberty to assume, the are higher volume than the latter as well. Of course, this is not counting toward Ampere GPU numbers, but GPUs sold in total.

People will use this...but reject Steam numbers?

The techpowerup poll isn’t useful because it likely includes a significant number of bystanders who aren’t actually in the market for a new video card. You would need to poll people who have either bought or actually tried to buy a card. In general asking people about their “willingness” to do anything is kinda pointless.

That poll certainly isn’t a rebuttal to the hashrate analysis posted earlier. That analysis at least attempts to use hard data.

JPR, who has been quoted for numbers before, seems to have taken an interest in crypto as well.
https://www.jonpeddie.com/blog/crypto-minings-half-a-billion-dollar-impact-on-aib-sales
Coming from a different model, based on GPU attach rates, they wrote:
"The model predicts that about 25% of the AIBs shipped in Q1’21 went to miners and speculators. That’s approximately 700,000 high-end and midrange AIBS in Q1’21. And the market value is about $500 million—a half a billion dollars."

Back