nVidia's Intel IGP is single-chip..

Arun

Unknown.
Legend
Sounds like Jen Hsun just leaked it out inadvertedly, too!
What is going to change for us is that for the first time, we're going to enter the Intel marketplace with integrated graphics, we're going to bring branded graphics to the Intel (market). We're going to integrate NForce and GeForce--two extremely valuable brands--into one chip.
I think it's extremely safe to assume that this is more than mere marketing chatter, which means they'd be doing the same thing they did with MCP61; except that they'd be bringing up single-chip for their entire IGP line-up this time around, and not just the lower-end portion of it. And this is a G8x, too, which is pretty cool to be seeing so fast on 65nm.

I'm betting bigtime that the chip will be 65nm based, too ;) If the yields are good already (which is a big if, but AFAIK, they are), this could prove to be a very worthy gamble indeed for NVIDIA. And if they're using the low power process for it like I believe they are, it could help them to have a very power efficient solution that also applies for notebooks; what popularity they might have there even then remains to be seen though, considering they couldn't be part of the Centrino platform.

I wonder when the AM2 equivalent is coming - and how competitive it will be against AMD's own DX10-level IGP. That'll be a bit more exciting of a fight than just seeing it bitchslap G965, heh.

Uttar

I'm not all that sure that it still isn't an arcitecture where you have two chips, one with CPU bus, memory bus, IGP and a link to anorher chip with PCI, PCIe, network, storage and what not.
But I still thinks that it makes to go single chip sense if they can cram everything needed into one chip.

As for 65 nm we haven't heard much other than that nVidia does have parts at 65 nm at TSMC, and I think that chipsets would be a fine candidate for the 65 nm debute.

So I guess I pretty much agree with you on this.

I'm not all that sure that it still isn't an arcitecture where you have two chips, one with CPU bus, memory bus, IGP and a link to anorher chip with PCI, PCIe, network, storage and what not.
But I still thinks that it makes to go single chip sense if they can cram everything needed into one chip.

As for 65 nm we haven't heard much other than that nVidia does have parts at 65 nm at TSMC, and I think that chipsets would be a fine candidate for the 65 nm debute.

So I guess I pretty much agree with you on this.

They did debut 90nm parts precisely with an IGP, Geforce 6150/6100, some 12 months ago.

They could do it on MCP61 (albeit with a G7x derivative and no memory bus, but still!) on 90nm, so I'd be surprised if they couldn't do it on 65nm... :) Unless they're aiming at a higher-end IGP with a $149+ price point or something. But obviously, they'd rather aim at the biggest market possible, as long as they can keep their margins in check.

And yeah, they debuted 90nm on an IGP. This time around, they're debuting it on their 65nm shrink of the G72 though afaik, but heh.

Uttar

there won't ever be a kick-ass integrated GPU as ATI and NV would rather sell you a low end graphics card. (though, geforce 6100 is nice, if you are poor or don't want to spend all your disposable cash and know about graphics, you get a 6100 and wait to get a real card later, rather than buy a 7300LE).

I wonder when the AM2 equivalent is coming - and how competitive it will be against AMD's own DX10-level IGP. That'll be a bit more exciting of a fight than just seeing it bitchslap G965, heh.

If you actually search for RS600 benchmarks, its faster than G965, but not too much either: http://forums.ocworkbench.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=56601

945G is one of the fastest IGP right now, if it can run the games, thanks to Conroe: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/chipsets/display/ig965-gf6150.html

Back