Nvidia's future with OpenCL

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by DavidGraham, Oct 4, 2013.

1. DavidGraham

Veteran

NVIDIA dropped OpenCL support from their consumer drivers long time ago ..

2. Davros

Legend

They did I'm pretty sure there is at least 1 game that uses opencl for something what happens to that ? (if i'm right of course)

3. lanek

Veteran

If they was only one game, but there's professional software who use OpenCL . Photoshop, Premiere, Vegas, maya, Marri, etc etc..

Ofc you can use Cuda, but on some OpenCL is way faster ( Photoshop )

4. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Well that's interesting, considering I'm running folding@home on my GF770s all the time and it uses OCL...

5. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha Subscriber

I think they mean they no longer update it (still at 1.1, have no plans for 1.2, etc.).

6. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

...So what are they going to do, rely on their dead proprietary cuda shit while the rest of the world drives them by with OCL? That would be seriously inadvisable, and history shows that any company trying something like that lives to regret it (if it lives at all), and NV should know - they bought up the wreckage of 3dfx after all...

7. xpea

Regular Newcomer

well first I would like to see a bit more of respect. CUDA doesn't deserve to be called "sh*t", its a good language used by universities and research centers all over the world, including many of TOP10 supercomputers.
    Second, CUDA is far from dead. In fact, OpenCL has a more trouble future than CUDA. Nvidia language is the de facto standard in workstations (NVDA owns more than 80% of market share) and one big force in supercomputers.
    Third, actual support on CUDA (documentation, libraries, university curses) and stability are miles ahead of this unfinished work that is OpenCL.
    Finally, new generation of Nvidia hardware will need more than ever new version of CUDA to take advantage their new advanced features (especially Maxwell coming with Denver ARM v8 cores and Nvidia equivalent to HSA).

8. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

...And yet it is proprietary, which will limit it in the long run, as history shows. Consumer programs won't target cuda to any great degree since NV has nowhere near 80% market share in that space, and supercomputers can't drive cuda growth forever.

9. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

nVidia can make more progress (and money) in the short-term with CUDA since it's not subject to the bureaucracy and compromises inherent to common standards like OpenCL. Just look at the speed at which DirectX evolves vs OpenGL.

I'm sure if/when OpenCL matures nVidia will be right there with the necessary support. They're doing far more to advance the state of highly parallel computing than any other company right now. That's worth far more than academic discussions about API support.

10. Jawed

Legend

Has NVidia stated a reason for not doing OpenCL 1.2?

11. I.S.T.

Veteran

It honestly seems like they don't need to. After all, everybody knows why.

12. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

The general attitude amongst some people here seems to be that if it brings more money into NV's pocket, more power to 'em. ...Which is crap. Not that it'll matter in the long run - the wintel rise to power has shown that ubiqutous mediocrity is what always wins - proprietary solutions do not. But as long as NV holds out on their current course they're holding back development of the legitimate solution - OpenCL - and as an extension, punish their own customers who need to use OpenCL to do their computing work.

Which - again - is crap. Plain and simple. There's no excuse around that.

13. I.S.T.

Veteran

I don't disagree with you in the least.

I was just saying there's little reason for nvidia to say why it's not supporting Open CL in the future.

14. gkar1

Regular

Nvidia doesn't have any other choice.
    If they start offering proper OpenCL support they'd be essentially forking and doubling their software support spending, which means less profits. Even if they offered better performance the fact that they support OpenCL is an invitation to current customers to explore AMD's competing hardware solutions.

Like it or not Nvidia painted themselves into a corner and at this point they can't get out of it even if they wanted to.

15. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

It's not crap. Their obligations are to their shareholders, not people who favor one API over another. If getting behind OpenCL now was good for business they would do it.

Aren't those same people free to use solutions from other companies?

Yep, there's no incentive for them to bolster OpenCL right now and empower the competition. They've invested far more in compute and have a right to seek a return on that investment. There's nothing stopping AMD or anyone else from making a similar investment in OpenCL to satisfy the disgruntled.

16. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha Subscriber

Fwiw, I think this has more to do with OpenCL's failure than Nvidia trying to push CUDA. The APIs, while similar, target different markets imo (CUDA is more geared toward hpc and academia where cross compatibility is more or less useless). And let's be honest, is there some killer OpenCL 1.2 app that Nvidia owners are missing out on? I suspect when such an app exists, Nvidia will update their OpenCL stack. Until then, what's the point?

17. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

Right now the only significant consumer OpenCL "application" I can think of is probably Core Image. XD

18. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Unless you count distributing computing clients and such (which is rather fringe, admittedly.)

Perhaps game software might start using OCL some day...

19. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

I'd say Winzip is a consumer application that has a reasonable reach...

20. Davros

Legend

True but its not exactly slow without opencl a normal hdd will probably be the bottleneck
    Plus I found winzip to be a "wallnut with a sledgehammer" type solution so I uninstalled it and went back to using windows built in zip handling and winrar