nVidia's cheating: Dumbing it down.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Ok, here's a good question: How do you explain the whole nVidia situation to a non-technically minded person, or in this case to a very technically minded 6 year old?

Seriously, could someone help me simplify the explanation without losing the meat of it...because I am simply having an awfully hard time doing it and if the word is to be spread it's going to have to be understandable by people without a great deal of technical knowledge.

Instead running a mile you only run a 2/3 of a mile... and when caught - claim that it's ok because in "real world" you would always take shortcuts where possible ;)

I don't think that you should try to explain "the runner sleeps with field judge" to a 6-year old :LOL:

Rocket Power, episode 8B (according to this site)

8B. TOTAL LUGER

For the first time in their friendship, Twister is able to beat Otto in a competition: street luge. Otto can't accept that he's not the best at something, and, in a bad de cision, cheats to win the contest. Even though he's pressured by Reggie and Sam, it's Otto's guilt that makes him own up to what he did and set things right with Twister.

Seems a pretty good analogy to me :p

Cheers, Joey.

8B. TOTAL CHEATER
For the first time in their history, Ati is able to beat nVIDIA in a competition: best high end card. nVIDIA can't accept that they're not the best at something, and, in a bad decision, cheat to win the contest. Even though they're pressured by Futuremark and consumers, it's nVIDIA's guilt that makes them own up to what they did and set things right with consumers.

joey_m said:
Rocket Power, episode 8B (according to this site)

8B. TOTAL LUGER

For the first time in their friendship, Twister is able to beat Otto in a competition: street luge. Otto can't accept that he's not the best at something, and, in a bad de cision, cheats to win the contest. Even though he's pressured by Reggie and Sam, it's Otto's guilt that makes him own up to what he did and set things right with Twister.

Seems a pretty good analogy to me :p

Cheers, Joey.
HEY! Now there is a great idea! Thanks, I remember that episode. :) (Yes, I'm a RocketPower fan too....all Nickelodeon, all the time. :) )

digitalwanderer said:
Seriously, could someone help me simplify the explanation without losing the meat of it...because I am simply having an awfully hard time doing it and if the word is to be spread it's going to have to be understandable by people without a great deal of technical knowledge.
You're having a hard time because the difference between Nvidia and ATI is marginal.

The problem is: Only geeks like you care about 5% performance. Only geeks like you care if an optimization that is not percievable can't be turned off in the settings. Only geeks like you care if an office computer has an Nvidia or ATI card. Only geeks like you pay the double for the cheapest DirectX 9 card.

The similarity with Intel vs. AMD is striking. But when you dumb it down, they are both excellent companies with excellent products. And somebody without a great deal of technical knowledge doesn't care at all. "Build me a computer for 2000 €" they say and wouldn't notice if you sold your old one and builded a new one for yourself.

No hard feelings, but you're wasting time. My time! ;)

digitalwanderer said:
Ok, here's a good question: How do you explain the whole nVidia situation to a non-technically minded person, or in this case to a very technically minded 6 year old?

What exactly do you mean by "the whole NVIDIA situation"?

What exactly do you mean by your apparent need to "spread the word"?

...the difference between Nvidia and ATI is marginal.

That is your opinion. :)

Only geeks like you care about 5% performance.

5% is only a percentage and can be big depending on how large the numbers you are working with are. ;)
Of course if you're going at 100fps another 5 fps wont hurt, nor will it do much. I prefer to test average and minimum framerates. Min fps is more important to me.

40fps-42fps isn't much of a difference but some people claim they can feel it.
Personally if I get a min fps of 30+ then I'm happy. :)

Performance at max IQ is why I upgrade to high end cards. By max IQ I mean highest possible IQ and good performance.

digitalwanderer said:

how do you explain he holw ATI situation?
They are both the same. Both will continue to cheat.
Why not? It sells products.
Intel does the same, Apple does the same.
Business as usual.

digitalwanderer said:

SvP had a great explanation above. :)
Fits the bill, too.

Reverend said:
Maybe he is simply pissed off at a company that strives to gain customers by deception. It's like selling tuna that is marked "dolphin safe" when in fact it isn't. Advertising a car as having airbags when in fact it doesn't. Selling sausages that contain much less meat than is printed on the package. Inflating the value of company stock by presenting fabricated.... Decieving consumers that try to inform themselves by feeding them false information isn't particularly nice, in any market. Nor is it accepted.

Some people care, Rev.

And even if you happen to belong to those who don't, why should a consumer actively financially support a corporation that they know use such deceptive policies?

Entropy

K.I.L.E.R said:
8B. TOTAL CHEATER
For the first time in their history, Ati is able to beat nVIDIA in a competition: best high end card. nVIDIA can't accept that they're not the best at something, and, in a bad decision, cheat to win the contest. Even though they're pressured by Futuremark and consumers, it's nVIDIA's guilt that makes them own up to what they did and set things right with consumers.
That, I'm sure, will never happen.

cu

incurable

Well the closest thing to that was blaming a "rogue" employee. :LOL:

incurable said:
K.I.L.E.R said:
8B. TOTAL CHEATER
That, I'm sure, will never happen.

cu

incurable

how about this....

You have two baseball teams, a red team and a green team, who are always competing against each other. They decide to take their top players to see who can hit the ball further. For over a year, the red team's #1 player has always hit the ball further then the green team's #1 player.

However, this time, the green team's captain hits the ball with a corked bat. He surprises the audience because this time he hit the ball further than the red team's captain. Nobody knows that the green team's captain is using a corked bat, because the two bats look identical. This goes on for a couple months, when one day the green captain's bat breaks when it hits the ball. The spectators discover that the green team was cheating all along.............

Thats pretty simple right? No cliffnotes sorry :)

Reverend said:
What exactly do you mean by "the whole NVIDIA situation"?
The way they've been cheating in their drivers, lying about facts, strong-arming websites, and generally acting rather low-down scummy.

I thought you'd have noticed.

Reverend said:
Exactly what I say, I want to spread the word of what they are doing. Fight disinformation with information and let the world see their true face. :)

It's really not all that complicated Reverend, I'm surprised you're having so much trouble with it. ;)

gibz0r said:
However, this time, the green team's captain hits the ball with a corked bat. He surprises the audience because this time he hit the ball further than the red team's captain. Nobody knows that the green team's captain is using a corked bat, because the two bats look identical. This goes on for a couple months, when one day the green captain's bat breaks when it hits the ball. The spectators discover that the green team was cheating all along...
Cheating? Why? He's just smarter than the other captain. :LOL: And he's hitting further, which is the only thing the audience actually cares about! :mrgreen:

Nick said:
gibz0r said:
However, this time, the green team's captain hits the ball with a corked bat. He surprises the audience because this time he hit the ball further than the red team's captain. Nobody knows that the green team's captain is using a corked bat, because the two bats look identical. This goes on for a couple months, when one day the green captain's bat breaks when it hits the ball. The spectators discover that the green team was cheating all along...
Cheating? Why? He's just smarter than the other captain. :LOL: And he's hitting further, which is the only thing the audience actually cares about! :mrgreen:
The Dig takes off his ballcap and whaps Nick soundly across the noggin with it.
Quiet you! ;) :LOL:

John Reynolds said:
Nvidia = deh Devil.

:rolleyes:

Come on...you can do better! How about "Evil Incarnate" or "Lord of the Living Dead" or "Jonestown Koolaid for 3d gamers"....???

:D

Had to add this:

What has two hoofs but walks upright, a toothy snout but never eats, a pointy tail that's barbed but never bites, two horns that don't adorn, and is called by a name that rhymes with the medical term chlamydia....?

:D

Back