Nvidia's 3000 Series RTX GPU [3090s with different memory capacity]

Such a shame these prices are only coming now so close to the next gen launch. 6 months ago I'd have been all over this. Now I'm gonna wait.
Eh, there are still some solid options in 30 series I'd say. A 3060 replacement is unlikely to launch till next year for example and 3060Ti is a good card of you're planning to use it for 1080p gaming. I don't think that this will change much with upcoming launches.
Anything 3080'ish though is highly likely to look weak in comparison to upcoming x70 and x80 cards.

Eh, there are still some solid options in 30 series I'd say. A 3060 replacement is unlikely to launch till next year for example and 3060Ti is a good card of you're planning to use it for 1080p gaming. I don't think that this will change much with upcoming launches.
Anything 3080'ish though is highly likely to look weak in comparison to upcoming x70 and x80 cards.

The market is basically priced at the moment with this in mind and therefore everything is still more inflated above MSRP for 3070 and lower. The 3060ti being Nvidia's benchmark for best perf/$ at MSRP is basically priced in line with the 3070 and the highest above MSRP.

Cheapest on Newegg.com -

3050 - $300 (20%)
3060 - $400 (21%)
3060ti - $530 (33%)
3070 - $600 (20%)

I followed 3060 prices the closest and they've actually rebounded up. They hit a low of I think $370 in late April/early May then AiB started to lower sale prices in mid May.

3080 12GB and up are for sure piling up in stock unless they've received heavy discounts to price them more in line perf/$ wise against the 3080 10GB's MSRP. No way anyone's (or at least in meaningful numbers) paying the 70% MSRP premium over the 3080 10GB for say the 3080ti in the current market.

I'm in Canada so I don't now a US equivalent off hand but you can see for example what models are piling up inventory and not moving up here - https://droptracker.ca/

Strictly speaking there are also 3070ti, 3080ti, 3090 and 3090ti at MSRP or below on Newegg.com but that's not really the right comparison point I'm guessing.
Yeah 3070ti is just a stupid part that's too much power/heat for a tiny perf increase over 3070, and the others are just too high price.

in my region, 3070 and 3070ti are being sold around the same price of ~890 USD

down from ~1000 USD when ETH was peaking a few months ago.

June 10, 2022
This week's release of Blender 3.2 brings AMD GPU rendering support on Linux via AMD's HIP interface in conjunction with their ROCm compute stack. Eager to see the AMD GPU support on Linux finally arrive, I quickly began trying out this new Blender open-source 3D modeling software release while seeing how the AMD RDNA2 HIP performance compares to that of NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 GPUs that have long enjoyed top-notch support under Blender.

ETH price goes down again. But the market still hasn't been flooded with used gpu :(
Unfortunately, until ETH goes PoS or until new GPU's come out that crash the current value of GPU's, it still makes sense for a lot of people to keep mining with what they have. Many are gonna harvest as much coin as they can both for the future promise of meteoric crypto value rise again, but also simply because those with the most coin will be the best off in a proof-of-stake ETH world.

That said, I've definitely been seeing a lot more used GPU's being sold for under MSRP lately, especially for the worst value cards like 3090's and whatnot. So it's slowly shaping up. Some miners might start panic selling sooner rather than later simply to get best returns, but I dont think many are gonna balk over $100 here or there or whatever. Prices would need to drop a fair bit more before you'll see mass sell-offs.

Looking at Ebay and things have changed quite a bit in a week. Lots of 3070's have sold for under 500 USD. A very small amount for under 400 USD. There were even some new 3070's sold on Ebay for MSRP (499 USD).

Also quite a few listings for under 500 USD. Here's one for a miner who is liquidating his mining machine.

Now I just have to decide if I want to take a chance on a used 3070 when they start dipping below 300 USD.

Regards,
SB

I'm actually considering going for a used 3090 soon as I could really use the 24Gb VRAM. I'm already seeing some selling for sub $900.

Looking at Ebay and things have changed quite a bit in a week. Lots of 3070's have sold for under 500 USD. A very small amount for under 400 USD. There were even some new 3070's sold on Ebay for MSRP (499 USD).

Also quite a few listings for under 500 USD. Here's one for a miner who is liquidating his mining machine.

Now I just have to decide if I want to take a chance on a used 3070 when they start dipping below 300 USD.

Regards,
SB
If you're getting an used mining card, be careful for the fans. Zotac (esp white version) and Asus dual/strix fans are horrible.

However, the situation on the GPU market has changed dramatically in the recent weeks. The RTX 30 inventory is so good that EVGA no longer needs this queue system, in fact, customers may now buy two cards without waiting (previously it was only 1 card per order). While the queue system has been removed for most RTX 30 graphics card models, EVGA may still keep it enabled for products that are harder to ship.

Here one can get a (new) RTX3070 for around 600USD, good availability despite high demand. 3080 is below 999USD aswell. And thats before the RTX4000 series.

About gamers nexus video; Get a quality PSU with wattage headroom..... has been the case for decades. Also puts the 'higher power bills' to rest as is explained in the video.
He forgot to mention the new ATX3.0 spec which is designed to just address this specific issue. I think the 3.0 specification was finalized in April this year.

Last edited:
Ampere Technical Walkthrough
June 27, 2022

NVIDIA GPUs derive their power from massive parallelism. Many warps of 32 threads can be placed on a Streaming Multiprocessor (SM), awaiting their turn to execute. When one warp is stalled for whatever reason, the warp scheduler switches to another with zero overhead, making sure that the SM always has work to do. On the high-performance NVIDIA Ampere 100 (A100) GPU up to 64 active warps can share an SM, each with its own resources. On top of that, A100 has many SMs—108—that can all execute warp instructions simultaneously. Most instructions must operate on data, and that data almost always originates in the device memory (DRAM) attached to the GPU. One of the main reasons why even the abundance of warps on an SM can run out of work is because they are waiting on data to arrive from memory. If this happens and the bandwidth to memory is not fully utilized, it may be possible to reorganize the program to improve memory access and reduce warp stalls, which in turn makes the program complete faster.

Back