Nvidia's 3000 Series RTX GPU [3090s with different memory capacity]

My £400 3060ti arrived yesterday from Scan, cute little card and has given me at least double the FPS of the GTX1070 it replaced.

And gaming at 1080ps means I don't need DLSS when using RT as the card has plenty of performance head room.

I also sold the GTX1070 it replaced for £140 cash so this upgrade cost me £260, bargain!

I know the new cards are on the horizon but it's impossible to predict what prices will look like for those and for these.

The card can get noisy but as it's only 20cm long it doesn't have the physical heat sink size of other models to help with the heat so has to rely on fan speed more.

Attachments

• 295803756_2198752603635103_3332363086190657834_n.jpg
    295803756_2198752603635103_3332363086190657834_n.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 7
Reading through posts, it's like Lovelace is gonna be everybody's first GPU launch.

"Oh they cant release new GPU's yet because there's still old ones available!"

"Oh they cant price the new GPU's at 'x' price cuz current 'y' GPU is still selling for such and such!"

Like, we've all been through this before. Older GPU's inevitably overlap somewhat with newer ones, and will often get discounts to match value in order to shift them. I remember back in 2013, soon after the GTX760 came out, GTX670's quite suddenly went on deep discount and I snapped one up for £200.

I know we expect companies to act greedier nowadays, and to some extent they will(cuz we often let them), but still, the general reasoning of 'this cant/wont happen' doesn't really hold up super well in a lot of cases.

August 7, 2022 - 3090 Price drops incoming ...
NVIDIA’s top-end GeForce RTX 3090 graphics cards have gotten a steep price cut of $450, bringing down their market price to a more digestible $1,049. MSI is selling multiple SKUs for just a thousand dollars, including the Gaming X Tri and the Ventus 3X. The former has been temporarily discounted to $1,139.99 ($1,089.99 if you include the $50 rebate) while the latter can be had for $,1049 if you factor in both the discount and rebate. Both these cards come with the GeForce RTX Bethesda Game Bundle which includes multiple titles with support for ray-tracing and DLSS.

image-12.png.webp

image-13.png.webp

Nice, NV trying hard to clear inventory of 3090 stock before 4090 is released. That's 450 USD below the launch MSRP of 1,499 USD and massively below what they'd been selling for 2 months ago.

I won't be biting on it, but I'm sure other's might be tempted.

Regards,
SB
Isn't that exactly the price drop that was in the news a while back (except according to NVIDIA it's temporary promotional price, not actual price drop)

I don't know where anyone is seeing that pricing. 3090's are still showing as $1299 and 3090Ti as $1499.

They weren't price cuts just temporary sales -

You can see it's OOS now - https://www.evga.com/products/produ...=GeForce+30+Series+Family&chipset=RTX+3090+Ti

These flash sale prices are basically still sell outs at this stage, there is no reason for them to maintain them at that level.

If you've been monitoring basically since April the prices have had temporary new lows on a brief sale and then move up again on the Nvidia side. It also cycles through the segments and brands/models and is regional, so don't necessarily expect a broad sale from everyone and everywhere.

In Canada we had the Gigabyte RTX 3090ti Waterforce for only $1085 CAD (about 850 USD).

I've been waiting so long to get a new gpu at this point I don't even know if I care anymore. One nice thing though it will be an absolutely massive jump when I finally buy a new one. There was a decade where I always had something pretty good second to top usually but that is long past now.
What are you currently running if I may ask?

Glad you didn't get the 3080, you'll be getting a better value now no matter what. I'm in a similar boat, but my lil open box 8Gb RX 580 that I picked up on a whim years ago at Microcenter when I got my Ryzen 1600 setup is still serving me well.
When Spider-man gets released tomorrow I'm hoping I don't suddenly want an upgrade, same for the Saints Row reboot a bit later. Hoping I can hold out until silly season is officially almost over.

That is the positive side of the mining craze. Saved me a lot of money. I would like something that will do 4k and ray tracing though at some point. I've always liked fancier light models since the days of quake2 and opengl shadows.

Last edited:
I'm planning my next GPU for 1440, so I got lots of options! I'm still gaming at 1080 and gaming happy at 1080, 4K I can't really see a difference with right now. (Yeah, my eyesight is going downhill. I'm old, it happens. Reminds me I gotta make an optometrist appt, time for insurance to cover a new set of eyes for me)
I was really tempted by a 10GB 6700 for $370, but then my brain kicked in and screamed at me that it wanted MUCH better bang for the buck on my next GPU. Decent prices will return, I truly believe that.

I'd love to score a 3070 or so, that's right around the level I'm aiming at.

NVIDIA is working with board partners to reduce the price of their cards, especially the high-end RTX 3090 series which are to be replaced in just 2 months as the company introduces RTX 40/Ada series. Promotions such as EVGA’s 3090 Ti for 1150 USD are likely to return soon, although such promotions are localized and only last for a few days.
ZOL reports that NVIDIA wants to take even more aggressive action by reducing the GPU pricing even lower than AMD, who are reportedly also planning similar actions.

"According to the news from the supply chain, at the end of August, NVIDIA and AMD will take more aggressive actions to reduce the price of graphics cards, of which NVIDIA will cut prices more than AMD.
— Li Fugang, ZOL"

A bunch of 3090s were just restocked across brands. Hopefully I'll be able to catch an EVGA 3090 for around $1k soon.

Back