Nvidia's 3000 Series RTX GPU [3090s with different memory capacity]

The extra $50 for 4GB more memory and an extra 4x PCI Express 4.0 lanes seems like a pretty decent deal versus 6500XT!

As I understand it, this is a cut-down GA106. The intention is that GA107 will replace this eventually, which presumably will help supply and power usage.

It seems like this card is going to be around for years. And years. And years.

TechPowerUp has a 4GB version listed:

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 4 GB Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database

Is that real?

Solid 1080p performance but also a clear example of power efficiency going nowhere fast.
It's a heavily cut down GA106 part. It is in fact cut down below the specs of GA107 even - which in addition to 128 bit bus and PCIE 8x likely means that at some point there will be similarly specced 3050s based on GA107 which should help with power a bit.

To judge this in terms of the 1660Ti which launched 3 years earlier. For those 3 years you get the same performance, 2GB more memory, RTX features and a $30 discount. I'm not sure those 3 years have worked well for us tbh.

Had this been priced at $150, or even up to say $189 and we were thus comparing more to the 1650 or 1650S, it would have been a whole lot more impressive.

To judge this in terms of the 1660Ti which launched 3 years earlier. For those 3 years you get the same performance, 2GB more memory, RTX features and a $30 discount. I'm not sure those 3 years have worked well for us tbh.

To judge this in terms of today, 1660 Ti is double of its original MSRP.
All complaints about pricing are waste of space.

Solid 1080p performance but also a clear example of power efficiency going nowhere fast. It has equal or worse perf/watt than the 2080 Ti and 3080 Ti. Worse than the 1660 Ti too. That’s ridiculous for an entry level card.

Yup, that's the main thing I really don't like about the 3050. Ever since the Radeon 4870 gen, I've prioritized perf per watt (with a preference for lower overall wattage at or above a certain performance level and below a certain price threshold) over almost all other metrics. That's the main reason I got the GTX 1070.

Regards,
SB

To judge this in terms of today, 1660 Ti is double of its original MSRP.
All complaints about pricing are waste of space.

I was comparing MSRP to MSRP. Granted MSRP's are currently meaningless but I would hope we get back to them within this GPU's lifespan.

Too many links to post, so just some quotes from OCUK forum, starting about here:

RTX 3050 - starting at $249 (msrp) | Page 20 | Overclockers UK Forums

Yes all have over sold, over 500 cards sold in sub 5 minutes, people even buying the ROG Strix at nearly £500, crazy times indeed.

I managed to get one for my nephew from here (£270).

To all the customers we have ID who are listing on ebay in attempt to scalp - your orders have been cancelled.
To all the customers who ordered one of each card - all your orders have been cancelled.

OcUK is not going to tolerate scalpers and people playing unfair.

All 3050's have vastly over-sold, more stock will arrive in February.

We were selling at £265.99

Our order buttons were live for only 5 minutes and in that time we sold it now seems 600+ cards with prices ranging from £265.99 - £469.99 and all cards sold out and over sold.

I suspect the none OC part makes them zero profit or maybe even a slight loss, hence shipping so few.

Looks like they only got 500 cards, half or less than half of 6500XT.

None to be had in germany as well. Apparently, one shop sold an unkown quantity at 279 EUR, but no one I know of has been able to actually see them as "available", despite constant F5-hammering, let alone buy one. Sad show here as well.

None to be had in germany as well. Apparently, one shop sold an unkown quantity at 279 EUR, but no one I know of has been able to actually see them as "available", despite constant F5-hammering, let alone buy one. Sad show here as well.

To be fair this may not be a ground breaking card but in the current price climate, if you're able to get one for the £270 region then that's an incredible deal right now. Basic 3060's are still well over £500.

If OCUK are anything to go by, apparently a lot of buyer's were immediately turning around the reselling them at a markup. Enough that they went on a banning spree as well as cancelling any orders that was obviously going to be for the purposes of reselling the cards.

I doubt other shops are going to attempt to limit sales to scalpers as OCUK claim they are doing.

So it's possible many shops may be sold out due to scalpers immediately buying all stock. And considering they have automated tools to do that, they are at a significant advantage in getting early stock of cards.

I can only hope that actual demand for these cards isn't THAT high and that many of the scalpers will end up losing money on their speculative buying, but unfortunately there are many gamers that are desperate to get a reasonably priced card even if the performance is subpar for the prices they command currently.

Regards,
SB

I found three different numbers for the ROP count on the 3050. If the whole GPC was disabled it would be clear. But GPC count is also not specified. Does anybody know the truth?

To be fair this may not be a ground breaking card but in the current price climate, if you're able to get one for the £270 region then that's an incredible deal right now. Basic 3060's are still well over £500.
Sure, the subsidized pricing for 3050 and 6500 XT is borderline ok-ish under normal conditions and a pretty good deal under current circumstances.

I found three different numbers for the ROP count on the 3050. If the whole GPC was disabled it would be clear. But GPC count is also not specified. Does anybody know the truth?
No one doing any low-level tests anymore?

No one doing any low-level tests anymore?

There is a potential variability with GPC and therefore ROP count for RTX 3050. In theory if all SMs are disabled off off one GPC and the entire GPC is gone than only 2 GPCs and 32 ROPs. Any other version, including potentially off future GA107 results in 3 GPC/48 ROPs. Unless Nvidia confirms how they will bin I think you'd need to test a very large sample size to know for sure.

GPU-Z reports GA104 RTX 3060's as having 64 ROPs. I don't know if that is actually "accurate" in function however. I've been trying to get a GA104 RTX 3060, but no luck yet.

Can and does Nvidia disable driver side to "limit" the amount of ROPs to force everything equal? I've actually always wondered even before the ROPs were put into the GPCs how much variance there is in SKUs depending on how they are cut down (including for AMD as well) and how they account for that. I'm assuming there is some function provided by the hardware inside each GPC, otherwise why would they not just make a single GPC x however many SMs.

Last edited:
I haven't come across GA104-3060s, but judging from past experience for example with TU104-based RTX 2060s, you can tell from low level tests which units are on/off. GPCs are (probably amongst other things) the organization structure for Rasterizers and ROPs, so you can measure different throughput between SKUs with identical number of SMs, but differing number of GPCs.

Back